2012 Mac Mini 10.14.1 w/ AMD 560 + ViDock (EC) + Sonnet Echo TB/EC adapter shuts down whenever plugged in  

RSS

(@epicblob)
December 6, 2018 2:42 am  

Hi all! Been a long time since delving into the e-gpu scene and I'm looking to get my system up and running again. Config I'm looking to have is my 2012 mac mini plugged into a ViDock enclosure (expresscard, using the Sonnet Echo TB/EC adapter to plug into the TB port) with a XFX AMD 560 to then run my 1440p ultrawide. My problem is that whenever I plug the GPU in and the fans start running, 5 seconds later the system reboots, says something went wrong, gets 3/4 through on the loading bar then restarts again with the same problem.

Went through enabling the script to add support for TB1/2 egpus and disabled SIP, but no boot sequence works. 5 seconds after plugging in the card... system restart. Read that the 560 isn't officially supported, is it worth trying to get a nvidia card and try? Haven't read anyone having the system shutdown after plugging in.

Thanks! Glad to see the community thriving 🙂

Edit: Okay so I switched to a 1050ti and it now boots and shows the hardware in system prefs but no drivers of course.. Did not do my reading into the headache that is nvidia and apple with mojave drivers and my dad is not at all keen to downgrade the OS. Guess I'll be playing the waiting game with others for mojave nvidia drivers. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 7, 2018 2:37 pm  

What's the build number of your macOS Mojave version? The latest 10.14.1 actually have native eGPU support for RX 460/560.  You would then only need to enable eGPU over TB1/2 using @mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler. When I tested the older Mac mini, it didn't like certain cards plugged in prior to boot. You may need to play around with timing such as wait for the boot chime then hot-plug the eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@epicblob)
December 8, 2018 5:12 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

What's the build number of your macOS Mojave version? The latest 10.14.1 actually have native eGPU support for RX 460/560.  You would then only need to enable eGPU over TB1/2 using @mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler. When I tested the older Mac mini, it didn't like certain cards plugged in prior to boot. You may need to play around with timing such as wait for the boot chime then hot-plug the eGPU.

Build 18B75. Should be the latest, I tried as many boot sequences as I could, pre-boot, post chime, midway through the loading bar, after loading bar, login, between login... every time I would plug it in there would be 5 seconds of fan on the GPU then hard restart. Wondering if it might be due to my enclosure? 

Switching to a 1050ti worked, just without the drivers. Just going to cross fingers and hope nvidia release drivers soon.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote