2013 Mac Pro: Background Questions

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro: Background Questions  

RSS

C4Dman
(@c4dman)

Any reason why the following would not work?

Mac Pro (10.12) + automate-eGPU script > TB2 to TB3 Adapter > AkiTio Node > Nvidia 1080, 1080Ti, or Titan Xp (once official drivers are out)

Not ideal with the TB2 to TB3 adapter but this would be an interim solution to be added later to a more powerful Mac or PC that supports eGPUs out of the box. Worst thing that happens is I build a PC with TB3 and use both the eGPU and card with that.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
C4Dman
(@c4dman)

Anyone? I notice very few setups on this board relate to the 2013 Mac Pro. Is there something about the dual on-board GPU setup that interferes with eGPU setups?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

There's a very small number of Mac Pro 6,1 owners who would look into doing eGPU. I recently acquired a 6,1 and an Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti is en route. Once Nvidia releases web drivers compatible with macOS, I'll test this setup right away.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
C4Dman
(@c4dman)

Thanks for the response! That's great you'll be testing it out with a 1080Ti (and a Node?). I'll check back soon. If your setup works I may take a shot at the same setup with a Titan Xp, given how similar it is to the 1080Ti and the fact that both should have "official Mac drivers" starting next week.

That aside, you'd be surprised how many 6,1 owners are  (extremely) disappointed with the dual AMD GPUs and the fact that: a) few developers offer extensive OpenCL support — especially after Apple abandoned it, and b) even fewer devs support the dual GPU setups on OS X / macOS. The few developers that do support OpenCL / dual GPUs do so exclusively as a "experimental" feature in my experience. There's just no incentive for them to put a lot of effort into that vs. optimizing for Nvidia GPUs.

The 6,1 is great for Adobe workflows (the vast majority of those are CPU-bound), but it is a big underperformer for any type of 3D or rendering work for the above-noted reasons.

Many 6,1 owners will benefit a reliable eGPU setup (for higher end cards) to work around this problem. Some light on the horizon with the new Mac Pro in a couple years, but work has to be done between now and then. I was stoked when I saw the Titan Xp and 10-series driver announcements this week. Puts the 6,1 back in the game potentially. 

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

@c4Dman - Are you considering building an eGPU for you nMP?

I currently have 2 working (with 2 x 980Ti) which I use for C4D (Cycles / Octane) running OS 10.12.2 - I'm considering updating to the latest version, but have heard mixed feedback.

Also, my setup uses the Akitio Thunder2

Let me know how you get on.

@itsage Please let us know how you get on with the 1080Ti!

2013 Mac Pro (FP D700 x2) [3rd,8C,E] + GTX 980 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
C4Dman
(@c4dman)

Posted by: imcalledandy

@c4Dman - Are you considering building an eGPU for you nMP?

I currently have 2 working (with 2 x 980Ti) which I use for C4D (Cycles / Octane) running OS 10.12.2 - I'm considering updating to the latest version, but have heard mixed feedback.

Also, my setup uses the Akitio Thunder2

Let me know how you get on.

@itsage Please let us know how you get on with the 1080Ti!

Yes. My plan is to use the AkiTio Node to avoid power supply kludgery (and future-proof it a bit with Thunderbolt 3) and one of: 1080, 1080Ti, Titan Xp. Will definitely let you know how it goes. I think one of the D700s in this thing is starting to crap out anyway. Starting to get artifacts appearing in the same area of the screen with certain applications when the GPUs are under full load.

Octane / VRay are two of the main reasons I am considering this setup. Even though VRay has some OpenCL support, OpenCL itself is so limited that it doesn't matter. Cycles has the same problem. Supports OpenCL, but OpenCL doesn't support important features related to shading and rendering.

ReplyQuote