Share:

2013 Mac Pro + Raser core X + Nvidia RTX 2080 doesn’t detect card.  

RSS

RainyDay
(@rainyday)
January 4, 2019 5:15 pm  

Hi

My set is like this 
2013 Mac Pro (TB2->TB3)+ Raser core X + Nvidia RTX 2080+ OS10.13.6 high Sierra.

1.I made SIP unavailable.
2.I made Nvidia available and installed web driver with purge wrangler 5.1.

Mac could boot.
 But Mac doesn’t detect card.
 When I use AMD vega64, this system worked.

Why?
 GTX works. But does RTX not work?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
January 4, 2019 5:32 pm  

There are no OS X drivers for the RTX cards, while High Sierra has drivers for the GTX cards, and AMD cards have native support. That should explain what is happening.

You should be able to get the RTX card working on Bootcamp.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
RainyDay
(@rainyday)
January 5, 2019 3:22 pm  

Thanks!
 Yukikaze San!
 Oh! It’s super basic information which I check before buying.
 I try to use it on Bootcamp.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 5, 2019 3:30 pm  

Unfortunately it's likely not going to work in Boot Camp either. The late 2013 Mac Pro has firmware that doesn't allow eGPU to work in Windows or Linux.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_wander)
January 5, 2019 4:15 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

Unfortunately it's likely not going to work in Boot Camp either. The late 2013 Mac Pro has firmware that doesn't allow eGPU to work in Windows or Linux.

Could you elaborate on this? Would it also not work with an AMD card in the eGPU enclosure?

2014 15 inch Macbook Pro (750M, 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
2009 Mac Pro (12 core 3.46 GHz, 128GB RAM, HyperX AHCI SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card
Asus XG Station Pro w/ Vega 56 eGPU

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 5, 2019 4:23 pm  

No eGPU would be detected in the 2013 Mac Pro. There's software workarounds for macOS (Purge-Wrangler and automate-eGPU EFI). For Windows Boot Camp, the only way so far is through MacVidCard's GPU firmware flashing service for Nvidia. Nothing for AMD that I'm aware of.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
January 5, 2019 4:50 pm  

No eGPU would be detected in the 2013 Mac Pro. There's software workarounds for macOS (Purge-Wrangler and automate-eGPU EFI). For Windows Boot Camp, the only way so far is through MacVidCard's GPU firmware flashing service for Nvidia. Nothing for AMD that I'm aware of.

Do you have any cards with narrow BAR values? I recall that, for example, a Quadro NVS 295 should be plug-and-play, both macOS and Windows Boot Camp.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 5, 2019 5:12 pm  

@goalque How do I determine BAR value for the graphics card?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
January 5, 2019 5:38 pm  

@goalque How do I determine BAR value for the graphics card?

With UEFI Shell's pci command which displays device list/configuration space. You need to give Bus, Dev and Func of the eGPU device as parameters.

Here's one screenshot, the lines under "Resource Type" are BARs (base address registers, not eGPU in this case) and you can calculate how much memory it needs.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mac-pro-2013-with-sonnet-egfx-breakaway-under-bootcamp-error-12/paged/2/#post-29559

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote