Setup & Software Discussions
2014 mbp 15 no external monitor plugging into egpu box normal?

2014 mbp 15 no external monitor plugging into egpu box normal?  

RSS

dfphoto
(@dfphoto)
Eminent Member

Dear Readers,

I'm fairly new to this world, OSX 10.13.6 on an older 2014 MBP 15 with built in nvidia m750 card. I have an external aorus gaming box RX580 using the apple TB3/2 adapter. I use purge-wrangler, nvda-wrangler and get egpu for my apps, and other than compressor, the setup seems to work. Yesterday I brought my 23" Benq monitor out and with the internal hdmi it works well, but if I try to connect to the gaming box, I cannot see anything only black screens, also when I unplug the hdmi it seems to crash/logs me out. 

I'm not sure if I missed a post where some of you more intelligent people warn against this behavior but I could not find via the search function. I recently read a post where the reader states the ti82 is not needed so I'm going to test that once I finish this post, but wondering if anyone can shed light on the issue... If not for coremelt slicex I could run the system without purge-nvda but without it I cannot turn the internal monitor off otherwise I get a crash on compressor where the software thinks my clamshell is closed and the coremelt plugin crashes rendering... Very odd...Thanks for the help in advance.

Pending: 2014 macbook pro Nvidia 750 Gigabyte RX580 gaming box OSX 10.13.6 my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
sabrefv
(@sabrefv)
Eminent Member

I'm not a MacOS expert at all. In my experience with Windows and bootcamp you cant have the integrated gpu (igpu like intel Iris), Dedicated GPU (dGPU maybe that's your Nvidia m750) and egpu (external GPU such as the RX580 in the Aorus gaming box) at the same time.
Typically In my experience3 you need to disable the dgpu for the egpu to work.
Maybe with the monitor plugged into your laptops HDMI it is working off the nvidia? and when you plug it into the egpu enclosure it tries to detect the aorus gaming box and stops functioning because of the conflict? I have to be honest I'm clutching at straws.
Maybe you could try disabling the dgpu (I don't know how to do that in MacOS) then disconnect the thunderbolt cable, plug in the monitor to the egpu enclosure and then hotplug the thunderbolt cable in to the laptop? to see if it auto detects the egpu and monitor.
Sorry I'm not much help just ideas.

Lenovo Yoga 730, Dell XPS 13
Akitio Node, Gigabyte Aorus 1070
Sapphire Nitro RX 580, Nvidia GE Force GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
dfphoto
(@dfphoto)
Eminent Member

Hi thanks for the reply, I played with the purge-wrangler, nada-wrangler and got it to work. Sometimes, things are a bit buggy with the osx and the two scripts but I found if reset and reload I can get things to work. I notice my issues also occurred depending on which script I run first e.g. purge or nvda I'm not 100% sure yet on a procedure to have successful outcomes. I don't always use the monitor so that's an issue as far as having this process work consistently.

Pending: 2014 macbook pro Nvidia 750 Gigabyte RX580 gaming box OSX 10.13.6 my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote