Notifications

2014 MBP w/ 750M - Issues  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I have finally setup my Akitio Node + 980 Ti. I have already tested this eGPU setup on another Mid-2012 MBP 13" and it works flawlessly on macOS 10.12.3. Therefore I can attest that the components are fine. Since I have macOS 10.12.4 Dev 8 and there are no NVIDIA drivers yet, I cannot setup the eGPU on macOS at the moment. However, attempts to set it up on Windows have been in vain so far. I have attempted a mentioned booting technique by setting -a mode in automate-eGPU.sh, selecting bootcamp as the startup disk, and restarting and plugging in the eGPU once the mouse is free on the boot manager. I do not wish to use integrated graphics to drive the internal display. While on Windows, I will always be connected to an external display. The 980 Ti is plugged in to a 1080P display via HDMI. Windows has failed to recognize it so far. Nothing shows up in the Device Manager. I doubt that Windows is even recognizing the Node. I would like to avoid the iGPU if possible. The ideal scenario I am aiming for is this:

• With eGPU, cold boot into Win 10 and all's swell
  • When on the go, cold boot into Win 10 runs on discrete 750M

Is this accomplishable on my mac?

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

It was complete pain for me to try and setup my GTX980ti on my mac in windows.  I just gave up.  Windows would have a really hard time recognizing the GTX.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

That's not good news haha... I really wish I can get the GTX working.... If that doesn't work out soon, I might just switch to AMD instead and try again.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Dude, AMD rx480 was easy on the OSX side of things.  Im not sure about windows..  I gave up on the windows side.  All i cared about was FCPX....  Im now thiking about going Dual rx480 just for FCPX.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Well, if the RX480 is better for FCP and if I am anyway not gonna make either GPU work on Windows for some gaming, might as well switch.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member

Hi, I have that same laptop, but an Akitio Thunder2 instead of the Node. Running with a 980 Ti in macOS Sierra and Windows 10.

Don't use -a mode, because this increases reliability of booting into macOS with the eGPU, but if -a mode was enabled and the laptop was booted into macOS last, you will need to set -m mode to have windows recognize the eGPU (or boot into Windows twice in a row, without touching macOS)

2016 15" MacBook Pro + Vega64 w/ Eiswolf GPX Pro LC
---
MAG341CQ 34" Ultrawide // Logitech G900 & HyperX Alloy FPS Pro (MX Blues) // Scarlett 2i4 + Yamaha HS7

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So you're saying setting to -m mode on macOS and then booting into Windows 10 will be successful. I'll try again and update.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So I have removed Windows for the time being and created a temporary extra Mac partition with 10.12.3. The setup worked once, and now I am unable to bring up the external display along with the eGPU.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

After a bit of fiddling with the -m and -a modes, I can get the eGPU running sometimes, but now it seems the performance is capped at 20fps for some reason. This isn't fun anymore.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Win side was a pain for me, I spend like 4-6 hours on and off.  I even went thru a sequential process by power right when the window logo appears to when the dotted circle appeared.  At the end no dice. You two have me curious with regards of the "-m".  I believe this when we run the script correct?  Can you guys provide more instructions?  I did not do bootcamp, I did the select drive where my Win partition was on a separate SSD.   

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: P-Mac

Hi, I have that same laptop, but an Akitio Thunder2 instead of the Node. Running with a 980 Ti in macOS Sierra and Windows 10.

Don't use -a mode, because this increases reliability of booting into macOS with the eGPU, but if -a mode was enabled and the laptop was booted into macOS last, you will need to set -m mode to have windows recognize the eGPU (or boot into Windows twice in a row, without touching macOS)

How did you get past the POST issue when using Windows after setting -m mode on macOS? I am assuming your enclosure was connected throughout the process?

On another note, I got past the capped graphics issue - its was related to the display mirroring settings. Once I have everything setup (if I can ;p), I'll probably post an as-much in-depth guide for the 750m MBP.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member

If the laptop doesn't post, I force-shutdown by holding the power button until the light on the Akitio turns off, and then I power-cycle the Akitio, and try again. Usually it'll POST within 2-3 tries for me, and then it works normally after that.

Here's my build thread from T|I if you want to skim through it, it's pretty detailed. I haven't gotten around to moving it to egpu.io forums just yet, need to learn the new formatting 😛

---
MAG341CQ 34" Ultrawide // Logitech G900 & HyperX Alloy FPS Pro (MX Blues) // Scarlett 2i4 + Yamaha HS7

johnshea liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: P-Mac

If the laptop doesn't post, I force-shutdown by holding the power button until the light on the Akitio turns off, and then I power-cycle the Akitio, and try again. Usually it'll POST within 2-3 tries for me, and then it works normally after that.

Here's my build thread from T|I if you want to skim through it, it's pretty detailed. I haven't gotten around to moving it to egpu.io forums just yet, need to learn the new formatting 😛

Actually, I've seen your thread before! Anyway, regarding the POST process, I am currently trying on macOS. What procedure do you exactly follow? I only get it up and running with the eGPU 1/10 times. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

P-Mac, Great post!  Very detailed...  But I need a lil more for the part about your windows seemed to be very to the point.

Pre-req, i install windows on a seperate SSD.  I am not sure if this is causing any issues.  Also I installed it for my MacPro 2013.  

With that being said, unless I boot in windows thru a certain power sequence.  Win10 would not even recognize my card.  I literally got my GTX 980ti recognize only once and thaz when I was finally able to install the drivers.  After that, i ran Heaven benchmark and it was awesome to say the least.  I was extremely happy with he result on the Win10 side of things.  Then the light went dark, i was never able to get the GTX to be recognized again under device manager.  

This is when I just gave up and went to RX480. I still have the GTX 980ti and would still love to use it somehow.  Otherwise, I will just sit there til I can figure out my next project.

Also, I see ur local in LA, Im in Orange county...

Truly appreciate any assistances in advance.

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Thaz crazy, he has the Win10 side worked out and I have the OSX worked out...  LOL  classic..

ReplyQuote
P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member

I think it might be the Node being funky.

Literally my startup process for Windows or macOS is:

• Plug eGPU in
  • Push power button
    • If no startup chime, then hold power button until eGPU turns off, then try again. Additional voodoo step: power-cycle the eGPU while the laptop is off. Maybe perform blood sacrifice to eGPU gods. 
    • else:
  • Hold option to get boot selection screen, choose Windows
  • Done

That's it. My Windows section in my build is straight to the point because there were no kinks in the process, haha.

EDIT:

If I know I'm going to be booting into macOS for a lot of subsequent times, I'll run "automate-eGPU.sh -a", and this causes 100% reliable POSTing for the eGPU (in exchange for it not being recognized in Windows, for some reason).

I'll run -m before I shut down and reboot into Windows for gaming, if I'm in that mode.

---

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

It probably is the Node given it is the only significant difference between our setups. After a lot of turmoil, I have finally figured out a way of booting into macOS fairly consistently along with the eGPU properly plugged in. I am not using -a mode. What I do is plug in the TB2 cable as soon as I see the Apple logo and before the loading bar begins (for non-FileVault protected disks). I am sure the process will require some modification to work on the different boot process for FileVault enabled disks. I will look into that soon. The MBP dGPU 750M + eGPU is a hassle, but I now have some hope.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So I encrypted the test macOS partition with FileVault and a slight modification to the above process works. Still have to plug in the eGPU before the loading bar shows up. With FileVault, you first type in your account password and press Enter, and before the loading bar shows up, plug in the GPU. Works every time.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

I did not run "-a" or "-m"  I just ran the script straight and I have no issues when rebooting into OSX.  Sorry for a goofy question, but what is the difference between the two modes?  How does it effect OSX and WIN?

Second question, two parts.  In reality, I have now both rx480 and gtx980ti drivers.  

Part I, Do i need to perform the entire titual again when install a second rx480?  Or will all of the drivers take over like normal since it is in there already.  I would think it will just kick in as soon as it identifies the card.

Part II, now im gonna go nuts, lets say i get the dual rx480 working properly.  Since my drivers are in the machine already for GTX, what if I also plug the GTX card in?  In essence then my macPro will have 5 video cards...  LOL  

Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

About the five cards: If it was Linux or Windows it would work easily. No idea how OS X will react to all the different drivers, but it should work. That said, even if it works, I am not sure that programs will know how to eat this mix and match of cards for any acceleration.

One way to find out 🙂

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

In reality, in OSX there will be 3 drivers.  D300, Rx480 & GTX980ti.  

As of current, I know D300 and Rx480 will work.  When I have the chance to add the second rx480, then we will see how it goes. Or, i can just add the GTX now and see how all three drivers will react.

At the end, Im pretty sure I will just end up with the Dual D300 & Dual rx480 setup.  I think that will be plenty.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

The dual D300 + dual RX 480 sounds like FCP heaven to me. Haha. @exam23 Do keep me updated on how things go! Excited to see the results!

For MBP w/ 750M users who might be loitering here, I just posted an implementation guide for macOS here:

2014 MBP w/ 750M + Akitio Node w/ 980 Ti [mac_editor]

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Great write up...   I need one for Windows...  LOL

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Its mainly for my FCPX.  So I will know by tonight if is going to work or not...  🙂

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: exam23

Great write up...   I need one for Windows...  LOL

Thanks! And me too! I'll probably fiddle with it next week onwards...

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: exam23

I did not run "-a" or "-m"  I just ran the script straight and I have no issues when rebooting into OSX.  Sorry for a goofy question, but what is the difference between the two modes?  How does it effect OSX and WIN?

Second question, two parts.  In reality, I have now both rx480 and gtx980ti drivers.  

Part I, Do i need to perform the entire titual again when install a second rx480?  Or will all of the drivers take over like normal since it is in there already.  I would think it will just kick in as soon as it identifies the card.

Part II, now im gonna go nuts, lets say i get the dual rx480 working properly.  Since my drivers are in the machine already for GTX, what if I also plug the GTX card in?  In essence then my macPro will have 5 video cards...  LOL  

Thoughts?

So typically, ordinarily running the script and rebooting to macOS works on almost all Macs except the ones with the discrete NVIDIA graphics when your eGPU is NVIDIA as well, as far as I know. The -a mode of the script attempts to automatically configure the eGPU in the background and also eliminates the issue of plugging in the card at a particular time for these Macs (to resolve the POST issue). Another problem with the -a mode is that this causes Windows to be unable to detect eGPUs. I think only @goalque can explain further.

The -m mode or manual mode is the default mode with which the script runs. So if you did not use any parameters when executing the script, you would be in this manual mode, which does minimal configuration to setup the eGPU (which is what is desired). 

I think your second RX 480 will be plug-n-play on macOS. I don't know how the system would react to the 980 Ti though.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Since I was in the mood, I decided to try getting the eGPU to work on Windows. So far, I have been able to just run on the iGPU on Windows, with no signs of detection of the eGPU. Things aren't looking good.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
casual_g
(@casual_g)
Eminent Member

I have a mid-2014 13" mbp, akitio node, and rx480 and I similarly cannot get things working in Windows 10 at the moment. Please let me know if our problems are similar or if I should start a new thread.

The OS X installation was easy thanks to automate-eGPU.sh, and I can boot into OS X with the eGPU 100% of the time without touching switches or plugs.

But I don't know where to begin with Windows. 

1. If I'm already logged in to windows and plug the thunderbolt cable in, nothing happens. This to me seems similar to me trying to plug in my thunderbolt ethernet converter in after booting windows (the latter is not hot-pluggable).

2. If the thunderbolt cable is plugged in, I select Windows from the boot options. Then, the Windows logo flashes on my internal monitor before the display goes blank (backlight is on). The external monitor (connected to eGPU) remains asleep the entire time. After waiting, I can, in the blind, press enter, type password, press enter, hit Win+R, type the shutdown command, and the computer will shutdown. This indicates only the display isn't working.

I'm thinking the next step is to keep iGPU active during boot, as that might be relevant to my situation ( https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/)  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: casual_g

I have a mid-2014 13" mbp, akitio node, and rx480 and I similarly cannot get things working in Windows 10 at the moment. Please let me know if our problems are similar or if I should start a new thread.

The OS X installation was easy thanks to automate-eGPU.sh, and I can boot into OS X with the eGPU 100% of the time without touching switches or plugs.

But I don't know where to begin with Windows. 

1. If I'm already logged in to windows and plug the thunderbolt cable in, nothing happens. This to me seems similar to me trying to plug in my thunderbolt ethernet converter in after booting windows (the latter is not hot-pluggable).

2. If the thunderbolt cable is plugged in, I select Windows from the boot options. Then, the Windows logo flashes on my internal monitor before the display goes blank (backlight is on). The external monitor (connected to eGPU) remains asleep the entire time. After waiting, I can, in the blind, press enter, type password, press enter, hit Win+R, type the shutdown command, and the computer will shutdown. This indicates only the display isn't working.

I'm thinking the next step is to keep iGPU active during boot, as that might be relevant to my situation ( https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/)  

Your problem is the same - Akitio not being recognized on windows. But since you are using an AMD you have a higher chance of getting things up and running. External NVIDIA cards along our models are poorly compatible - and I have still not figured out any clear cut means of getting it up and running. If I do, I will be updating this thread. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
casual_g
(@casual_g)
Eminent Member

By blind luck, I got it working. No DSDT, no plugging. I think I'll make a separate post about it since I'm confused how it works today.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

By blind luck, I got it working. No DSDT, no plugging. I think I'll make a separate post about it since I'm confused how it works today.

Please do ASAP! I'm dying to know how to get my eGPU to work on Windows haha ;p. One major difference, however, is that you are using an RX480 and I, the 980 Ti.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
casual_g
(@casual_g)
Eminent Member

Will do in a few hours. I think the bigger difference is that you have a dedicated graphics card. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Will do in a few hours. I think the bigger difference is that you have a dedicated graphics card. 

Oh I thought you had the dGPU too.... Then I shouldn't get my hopes up :(...

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
casual_g
(@casual_g)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

Oh I thought you had the dGPU too.... Then I shouldn't get my hopes up :(...

Sorry, finally updated with what happened: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/seemingly-easy-mid-2014-mbp-13-setup/

ReplyQuote