Akitio Thunder2 + Sapphire RX 570 ITX 8GB + 2015 MBP 15" - eGPU detected but not...

Notifications
Clear all

Akitio Thunder2 + Sapphire RX 570 ITX 8GB + 2015 MBP 15" - eGPU detected but not working  

of  2
  RSS

hans999
(@hans999)

Hello, 

I'm having all sorts of problems with my new egpu setup, here's what I have: 

- Akitio Thunder2 + Dell da-2 PSU 

- Sapphire RX 570 4GB 

- 2015 Macbook Pro  15" with m370x 

I followed the wrangler setup, disabled SIP, installed wrangler, egpu got detected, enclosure and the card are powered, so far so good.

Did a test on Final Cut Pro, rendering is very fast, but when I open the exported file there's only green artefacts, nothing else. 

Then forced Chrome to use egpu only, I open Chrome and the entire Chrome window is red artefacts, can't see anything else. 

Pluggning my external display into the card through HDMI gives no video output on the display, it's blank. 

After a few restarts and checking that everything in the enclosure is well connected, I plug in the egpu and now the system crashes. MacOs wouldn't boot past the login screen with the egpu connected. Connecting AFTER login makes the system freeze until I unplug the egpu. 

Any ideas what's going on? This is my first egpu. I bought the setup from French equivalent of craigslist, could is be a faulty card? 

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm a bit in panic and don't know what to do. 

Edit: removed everything and rechecked the PCIE connection and plugged back, now the egpu works again and is detected by MacOS without crashing but still the same artefacts with Chrome and FCP and no HDMI output. 

2015 Macbook Pro 15" with m370x - Akitio Thunder2 + Sapphire ITX RX 570 8GB - macOS Catalina 10.15.15

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@hans999, sounds like a faulty GPU.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hans999
(@hans999)

@mac_editor, damn was hoping it wouldn't be that. Or a faulty thunderbolt cable maybe? 

2015 Macbook Pro 15" with m370x - Akitio Thunder2 + Sapphire ITX RX 570 8GB - macOS Catalina 10.15.15

ReplyQuote
hans999
(@hans999)

Installed Windows 10 today. It was almost the same process as MacOS, all drivers installed, card is detected fine. I run a benchmark, eGPU activity goes up to 100% for 1 second then bam BSOD video_TDR_Failure. 

The only difference is that I was able run the external display by plugging it into the card through HDMI. Heaven benchmark ran fine for the m370x dGPU, but the moment I plug the external display into the RX 579 and let Heaven benchmark it, it goes into BSOD. 

Does this confirm that the RX 570 is fried? And is it safe to say that the enclosure itself is working fine?

I live in a small town and it's hard to test another card or test the card on a desktop so any help from you guys is greatly appreciated! 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hans999, As @mac_editor has mentioned the GPU is likely the culprit. It's also possible there's power issue. Check your connection from the DA-2 to the Thunder2 mainboard and GPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hans999
(@hans999)

@itsage, Thanks for your answer! What should I check exactly? The cable coming from the DA-2 brick splits into 2 cable, the one powering the card and the one powering the Thunder2, the split is wrapped in electric tape. 

The enclosure gets power and blue lights when I plug it into the wall, then the card's fans start to spin when I plug in the TB2 cable into the mac. 

I monitored power consumption in AMD software in windows, it remained stable at 9-11w. 

ReplyQuote
hans999
(@hans999)

Hi again, sorry for reviving this thread, but I still have the same problem despite receiving a brand new Sapphire RX 570 8GB today. 

Card is fully detected but refuses to do any work.

Under Catalina:

- Final Cut Pro gives green rendering frames

- Google Chrome (forced to use eGPU) turns UI into red 

- HDMI external screen plugged directly into RX570 gives no signal

Haven't tried Windows 10 yet as I deleted bootcamp, but I bet it will give same results. 

Any help would be really appreciated, this thing is starting to drive me crazy. 

ReplyQuote
hans999
(@hans999)

It seems that no one cares, I'll just keep this as a log in case someone has the same problem one day. 

I just ran Geekbench, it seemed to do the benchmark but at the end I got a "we're sorry something went wrong page" (GPU activity in activit monitor was nill). I tried with the dGPU, benchmark ran fine. 

I checked console during the RX 570 benchmark and saw this: 

default 20:57:24.005491+0200 kernel --> GPU register 6b4 read failed. Returning cached or generated value d1b33eb instead!
default 20:57:24.005492+0200 kernel FATAL ERROR : ATIController failed to access PCI device [194:0:0]!

Screenshot here:

Screenshot 2020 06 18 at 21.06.18

I did some googling and it seems to be driver related? 

Also, don't know if related but I tried installing the automate.egpu script instead of Purge-Wrangler but it wouldn't work at all, it says AMD9510Controller is missing among other things. 

Again, I'd be deeply grateful for any tips. I'm even ready to Paypal a 6-pack of beer for anyone who's kind enough to find a solution. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hans999, Take a look at this post on a Thunder3 setup. Eventhough the power connection may look fine, there could be micro-cracks that cause stability issues.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hans999
(@hans999)

@itsage, Thank you for answering! I read the other post, the OP there can get his setup to work at least before having instabilities, mine doesn't work at all, not a single second, final cut renders blanks, gpu activity is zero when Geekbench is doing Metal computing...

ReplyQuote
 of  2