2015 MacBook Pro 15" + HP Omen Accelerator (TB3>2)+ R9 380

Notifications
Clear all

2015 MacBook Pro 15" + HP Omen Accelerator (TB3>2)+ R9 380  

RSS

Kenneth Tan
(@kenneth_tan)

Hi there, 

I'm fairly new to eGPUs but I'm looking to increase performance on my macbook (Intel integrated graphics version) on both macOS for video editing and bootcamp gaming. Will the TB2 to TB3 connector cause any issues? 

I've heard terms like having to roll back drivers or windows versions for it to work properly with bootcamp, but I've also heard cases where it's plug and play. Saw a post here saying that the R9 380 isn't natively supported on macOS too. Would getting a RX 580 be a better bet? (I have the R9 380 on hand). If so, would my cpu (i7 4770 HQ) be a bottleneck? 

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

TB3 to TB2 should not cause any issues in terms of compatibility, but the performance will not be the same.

The best thing to do would be to see if you can get your R9 380 up and running. You will find a lot of resources here as many many people have worked on getting apple laptops running with eGPUs in both OSX and bootcamp. If you can't make it work, then I would move on to an RX580.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

TB3 to TB2 should not cause any issues in terms of compatibility, but the performance will not be the same.

The best thing to do would be to see if you can get your R9 380 up and running. You will find a lot of resources here as many many people have worked on getting apple laptops running with eGPUs in both OSX and bootcamp. If you can't make it work, then I would move on to an RX580.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kenneth Tan
(@kenneth_tan)

@lwf, what is the likelihood of having to roll back drivers or windows vers, etc? Also is it essential to have an external monitor for it to work properly? 

This post was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote