Setup & Software Discussions
2016 MacBook Pro 15" 2.9GHz + Mantiz-02 + XFX AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 - Geekbench

2016 MacBook Pro 15" 2.9GHz + Mantiz-02 + XFX AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 - Geekbench  

RSS

BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

I'll just document my experiences here... Got it all setup and booted into High Sierra with the internal SSD that I installed into the Mantiz eGPU... I experienced freezing/unfreezing as I used the system.

I tried plugging in the Apple power supply, hoping to bypass the eGPU supplied power... Same freezing/unfreezing.

I created a short YouTube video of the setup and some Geekbench scores... When I ran the GPU tests, the MBP didn't freeze once... But as soon as I started clicking around, it would freeze momentarily. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
cvfunstuff
(@cvfunstuff)

Not very pleased with the graphics results so far... I have the exact same setup and Cinebench gives better results on the Radeon Pro 555 than my RX Vega 64.

On a sidenote - have you tried installing Windows 10 and running Vega off that yet?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

I'd like to use this card under macOS High Sierra... Right now I'm trying to figure out the freezing with the manufacture, who has been absolutely amazing by the way... I reseated the card and that seems to have helped with the freezing... But the littlest movement causes a freeze or unfreeze... Would that mean something may be wrong with the card itself?

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: cvfunstuff

Not very pleased with the graphics results so far... I have the exact same setup and Cinebench gives better results on the Radeon Pro 555 than my RX Vega 64.

Too early, driver are even beta. You need final macOS 10.13 or even 10.13.2 when iMac Pro comes out. I have a Vega 56 which I will install in my Mantiz tonight but I expect bugs and slower performance until drivers are ready

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Scores are hardly impressive. A 580 does 120k+ on the Geekbench so, yes, the drivers need tons of work.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Posted by: BMW2017

I'd like to use this card under macOS High Sierra... Right now I'm trying to figure out the freezing with the manufacture, who has been absolutely amazing by the way... I reseated the card and that seems to have helped with the freezing... But the littlest movement causes a freeze or unfreeze... Would that mean something may be wrong with the card itself?

Please kindly unplug absolutely all devices from your Mantiz box (internal SSD, keyboard/mouse, etc.), and ensure you have laptop's PS supply connected.

Can you possibly post a short video of mouse freezing? I am trying to figure out if this is insufficient power supply case OR there is a graphics driver or OS issue.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

I'll try and get it on video today... It may have something to with High Sierra running off the internal SSD of the Mantiz? But like I said, the freeze all but stopped when I cleaned the connectors and reseated it... Might be spikes in power?

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Eminent Member

I’ve installed the public beta High Sierra (not sure which version of the beta this is) and was excited to try it with my newly acquired RX Vega 64. It saddened me that it was extremely buggy. As soon as I tried something more graphically intense than showing a webpage, like loading a video, it would freeze for 10-20 seconds and crash. On random times, I would be able to get playing videos to work. Is this because my MacBook was fully charged (I usually leave it on the charger, so it should’ve be on full charge)?

I also experienced a crash that kind of freaked me out. The external monitor went black and the Vega card went to 100% fan speed. Logging out didn’t resolve the issue. I couldn’t even shut down my MacBook, it just went to a black screen after I tried it. I had to forcefully shut it down.

I’m now doubting whether it’s the lack of mature drivers in High Sierra or it’s my card. When I have the time, I’m going to try the card on Windows.

I really do hope the drivers for the Vega will be better when the official High Sierra comes out, but I fear this will take a while.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Wunair

I’ve installed the public beta High Sierra (not sure which version of the beta this is) and was excited to try it with my newly acquired RX Vega 64. It saddened me that it was extremely buggy. As soon as I tried something more graphically intense than showing a webpage, like loading a video, it would freeze for 10-20 seconds and crash. On random times, I would be able to get playing videos to work. Is this because my MacBook was fully charged (I usually leave it on the charger, so it should’ve be on full charge)?

I also experienced a crash that kind of freaked me out. The external monitor went black and the Vega card went to 100% fan speed. Logging out didn’t resolve the issue. I couldn’t even shut down my MacBook, it just went to a black screen after I tried it. I had to forcefully shut it down.

I’m now doubting whether it’s the lack of mature drivers in High Sierra or it’s my card. When I have the time, I’m going to try the card on Windows.

I really do hope the drivers for the Vega will be better when the official High Sierra comes out, but I fear this will take a while.

The crash where the GPU fans go full blast is usually a sign of a poor connection between the computer and GPU - I faced this many times. Reseating the GPU in the enclosure, checked the TB connections, as well as video out connections between eGPU and display solved this for me.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Cinepresa
(@cinepresa)

Hi to everybody.

I'm new and I'm here because I have this configuration:

Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) with OSX High Sierra 10.13 with Mantiz 02 with AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56.

I ordered a SSD EVO of 500 GB, but I'm still waiting for it.

In the meantime, I trying the Mantiz with VEGA without SSD.

But I can't play 4k video, I can't use games (I can't open them), I can't render video with editing application.

And often my Mac freeze...

The question is: it's only a problem by the missing of SSD inside the Mantiz or not? How can I resolve it?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
QuietPower
(@quietpower)

The question is: it's only a problem by the missing of SSD inside the Mantiz or not? How can I resolve it?

Thanks

No, I don't think your issues are related to missing SSD, just immature Vega drivers for High Sierra. this will improve in the coming weeks & months, as mentioned above. 

I have the same setup (Mantiz + Vega56) and watching the HS beta releases for signs of improved support.

Mantiz Venus + RX Vega 56 8GB + DELL UP2715K + MBP 13 TB / MBP 15 TB / NUC8i5BEK

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Cinepresa

But I can't play 4k video, I can't use games (I can't open them), I can't render video with editing application.

And often my Mac freeze...

Thanks

Are you using an external display with your eGPU? That may be your issue right there.

Posted by: BMW2017

I'll try and get it on video today... It may have something to with High Sierra running off the internal SSD of the Mantiz? But like I said, the freeze all but stopped when I cleaned the connectors and reseated it... Might be spikes in power?

How's your SSD performing? I have an MZ-02 on my MBP but running Bootcamp. It can't sustain anything faster than 30-40 MB/s. Windows also hangs and go unresponsive when writing a lot (thousands) of small files in one go.

ReplyQuote