Clear all

2016 MacBook pro 15" Radeon Pro 455 - DEVILBOX  

of  2
  RSS

itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: TuringPointSoft

Well shoot. I applied the firmware patch and now windows won't boot. It hangs with the little loading thing. Any idea how to get past it?

Edit: Got to to post by inserting thunderbolt 3 in right after windows logo shows... any ideas how to turn this back to the original firmware?

That's the exact issue I've been facing since I updated yesterday. I posted on @confidantduck's thread with the Devil Box but no luck yet.

My question is, did the firmware upgrade resolve you not being able to run automate-eGPU.sh? Does macOS see the card?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Yes, it did resolve it actually and it did detect it. Now in macOS there are a few issues. On my actually MacBook screen along the top edge of the screen it's like 'Artifacting' and creating weird issues along the top edge.

For me, I would like it to work in macOS, but I would rather to be able to boot into windows with it attached. Instead of having to plug it as the logo appears...

I messaged power Cooler, to see if they will send me replacement boards so I don't have to send the entire thing back to new egg. I told them the issue. They said they would get back to me and see if there was a way to downgrade the firmware.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 780 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Yes, it did resolve it actually and it did detect it. Now in macOS there are a few issues. On my actually MacBook screen along the top edge of the screen it's like 'Artifacting' and creating weird issues along the top edge.

For me, I would like it to work in macOS, but I would rather to be able to boot into windows with it attached. Instead of having to plug it as the logo appears...

I messaged power Cooler, to see if they will send me replacement boards so I don't have to send the entire thing back to new egg. I told them the issue. They said they would get back to me and see if there was a way to downgrade the firmware.

Yeah, I feel you, I'm just not GPU heavy in macOS. Interesting that they're looking for a way to downgrade the firmware.

Definitely keep me posted.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Will do; as for now I guess it's just hot plugging it. I'm waiting to have the money to upgrade gpu and get rift. Other than that it works amazing.

one thing I've noticed. If I don't boot with it(not hot plugging it in at logo) and I plug it in once booted into windows, it will restart and hang if I don't hot plug it(before firmware update it would restart and take forever and finally log into it with box connected) if I did hot plug it on boot, when it's booted up, I can plug and in plug freely with no issues(I could do this before the firmware update as well).

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 780 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

If I don't boot with it(not hot plugging it in at logo) and I plug it in once booted into windows, it will restart and hang if I don't hot plug it(before firmware update it would restart and take forever and finally log into it with box connected)

Can confirm this is the same behavior I see if I don't connect it during boot. Mine will also hang and restart if I hot-plug after boot.

if I did hot plug it on boot, when it's booted up, I can plug and in plug freely with no issues(I could do this before the firmware update as well).

If I connect mine during boot, and disconnect it after boot, I still get the same behavior as I would if I'm connecting it after boot. This may be a difference due to the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" having only an iGPU, where as the 2016 MacBook Pro 15" is equipped with an iGPU and a dGPU.

ReplyQuote
 of  2