Setup & Software Discussions
2016 Macbook pro 15" Radeon Pro 455 - DEVILBOX

2016 Macbook pro 15" Radeon Pro 455 - DEVILBOX  

RSS

TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Hey everyone! I just received my DevilBox today! Here is the run down so far...

2016 MacBook pro 15" Radeon Pro 455, 512 GB SSD

Devil Box, GTX 780(for now)

Windows 10:

I booted with it plugged in, it installed drivers for NVidia card, I downloaded the most up to date drivers and installed them. It uninstalled the older drivers. Done.

No error 12, nothing!

Works perfectly, was playing 4k 45ish FPS high in Arma 3. On my MacBook I could push internal screen, on low 20ishFPS. HUGE Difference. Now these numbers might not be exact, but I know it's working!

macOS:

I booted up with it plugged and unplugged, tried to run automate eGPU

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

It said Thunderbolt device connected. No eGPU detected.

I am at a loss here on this one...

Any Ideas?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
DBL R
(@dbl-r)

Are there any huge differences between the devil box and the akitio thunder 3 (as in ones ability to dodge the error 12). I've got a late 2016 mbp 15" with maxed out gpu and Radeon 460, and I've got the dreaded error 12 that I can't seem to fix. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Honestly... I have no clue. I don't know why I didn't get the error 12. It could be the Devil Box and the 15" combined?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Hey Turing,

Not sure what "causes" Device Manager's Code 12 error either.

I was getting Code 12 with my Devil Box on my 2016 MacBook Pro 13" (non-TouchBar), but that was before I updated to the new "unofficial" firmware circulating on Reddit.

After updating, I no longer see Code 12 without DSDT override, but as detailed in my thread, it's giving me quirky behavior now. If someone could enlighten us on the origins of Code 12, that'd be pretty sweet.

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Hey mike, if you remember we had a nice discussion on Reddit earlier! Now if I could only figure out why macOS is wont detect the GPU, even though it sees the devil box...

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

That's why I'm here 😋 I was told in my thread by a few others familiar with automate-eGPU.sh that the Devil Box firmware needs to be updated before the GPU is detected in macOS. I cannot confirm this though, since my only GPU is the EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid I'm using.

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Can you tell me what Firmware Version the updated version is?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

I was looking earlier, and under About This Mac > System Report... > Thunderbolt > DEVIL BOX, it displays "23.1", which is very odd because it said 23.1 before I applied the update in BootCamp.

I'm thinking that maybe the macOS System Report doesn't reflect what the update changed inBootCamp?

Another user in my thread reported that the firmware update did not change the reported firmware version under macOS System Report. See here.

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

I wanna bet that this is a patch behind intel's back that isn't really allowed so they had to keep it on the dl

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Well shoot. I applied the firmware patch and now windows won't boot. It hangs with the little loading thing. Any idea how to get past it?

Edit: Got to to post by inserting thunderbolt 3 in right after windows logo shows... any ideas how to turn this back to the original firmware?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: TuringPointSoft

Well shoot. I applied the firmware patch and now windows won't boot. It hangs with the little loading thing. Any idea how to get past it?

Edit: Got to to post by inserting thunderbolt 3 in right after windows logo shows... any ideas how to turn this back to the original firmware?

That's the exact issue I've been facing since I updated yesterday. I posted on @confidantduck's thread with the Devil Box but no luck yet.

My question is, did the firmware upgrade resolve you not being able to run automate-eGPU.sh? Does macOS see the card?

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Yes, it did resolve it actually and it did detect it. Now in macOS there are a few issues. On my actually MacBook screen along the top edge of the screen it's like 'Artifacting' and creating weird issues along the top edge.

For me, I would like it to work in macOS, but I would rather to be able to boot into windows with it attached. Instead of having to plug it as the logo appears...

I messaged power Cooler, to see if they will send me replacement boards so I don't have to send the entire thing back to new egg. I told them the issue. They said they would get back to me and see if there was a way to downgrade the firmware.

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Yes, it did resolve it actually and it did detect it. Now in macOS there are a few issues. On my actually MacBook screen along the top edge of the screen it's like 'Artifacting' and creating weird issues along the top edge.

For me, I would like it to work in macOS, but I would rather to be able to boot into windows with it attached. Instead of having to plug it as the logo appears...

I messaged power Cooler, to see if they will send me replacement boards so I don't have to send the entire thing back to new egg. I told them the issue. They said they would get back to me and see if there was a way to downgrade the firmware.

Yeah, I feel you, I'm just not GPU heavy in macOS. Interesting that they're looking for a way to downgrade the firmware.

Definitely keep me posted.

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)

Will do; as for now I guess it's just hot plugging it. I'm waiting to have the money to upgrade gpu and get rift. Other than that it works amazing.

one thing I've noticed. If I don't boot with it(not hot plugging it in at logo) and I plug it in once booted into windows, it will restart and hang if I don't hot plug it(before firmware update it would restart and take forever and finally log into it with box connected) if I did hot plug it on boot, when it's booted up, I can plug and in plug freely with no issues(I could do this before the firmware update as well).

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

If I don't boot with it(not hot plugging it in at logo) and I plug it in once booted into windows, it will restart and hang if I don't hot plug it(before firmware update it would restart and take forever and finally log into it with box connected)

Can confirm this is the same behavior I see if I don't connect it during boot. Mine will also hang and restart if I hot-plug after boot.

if I did hot plug it on boot, when it's booted up, I can plug and in plug freely with no issues(I could do this before the firmware update as well).

If I connect mine during boot, and disconnect it after boot, I still get the same behavior as I would if I'm connecting it after boot. This may be a difference due to the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" having only an iGPU, where as the 2016 MacBook Pro 15" is equipped with an iGPU and a dGPU.

ReplyQuote