2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ HD 7870?  

RSS

Nyarumi
January 9, 2017 6:15 pm  

Hello, I’m pretty new to the eGPU stuff, so I figured I’d ask some questions here.

I have a 2016 Macbook Pro 15″ with the Pro 460. I plan on getting a Thunder3 and a RX 480 to compliment it as I’ve heard they work well, but I don’t quite have the money for both yet. I do have a spare HD 7870 (specifically the XFX one with two fans) laying around, and I was wondering if I could use that in the meantime with the Thunder3. Is it worth trying? It seems like it would give a modest boost to the preformance… but I’m unsure.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
Noble Member Admin
January 9, 2017 8:58 pm  

Welcome aboard Nyarumi! The Thunder3 is a good choice. From my Mac Pro tower experience with GPUs, the HD 7870 already has native drivers in macOS. The unknown is whether the port arrangement and vBIOS on your XFX GPU matches what the OS has. XFX typically has one of the worst compatibility with Mac OS.

As far as performance boost, there’s not much gain from the dGPU Radeon Pro 460 to an HD 7870 eGPU. It’s worth a shot since you already have the card. Keep in mind, atm Thunderbolt 3 eGPU with an AMD card is only possible with automate-eGPU 1.0.0 (will be released soon by Goalque) in macOS.

ReplyQuote
Nyarumi
January 10, 2017 7:14 am  

Ah, that’s unfortunate about the compatibility. I’ll still probably give it a go when I get my Thunder3. What do I need in terms of power? I’ve read a few things, but I don’t quite understand exactly what I’m supposed to do…

As for macos compatibility, I see that as just an added bonus, as I’ll do most of my gaming on Windows. But it would certainly be cool to have it working on both OS’s!

Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
nando4
Noble Member Admin
January 10, 2017 7:39 am  
Posted by: Nyarumi

What do I need in terms of power? I’ve read a few things, but I don’t quite understand exactly what I’m supposed to do…

A simple power configuration for you would be:

1. a ATX PSU to drive your HD7870, a paperclip to switch it on (jumper green+black 20/24 socket pins)
2. a DC barrel jack that runs from the ATX PSU to the AKiTiO DC socket. See REF
3. PCIe cables for the PCIe sockets on your HD7870
4. May need to open the AKiTiO chassis to fit the H7870. See REF

Budget your PSU power rating based on inspection of your HD7870. 75W PCIe slot power + 75W for each 6-pin PCIe power connector + 150W for each 8-pin PCIe power connector.

Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures comparedInterface Peformance Reference TableDIY eGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register