[Sticky] [GUIDE] Macbook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

nando4
Noble Member Admin
December 23, 2016 6:48 am  
Below are a number of strategies to resolve error 12 on a bootcamped Win10 Macbook notebooks. These are presented in order of user difficulty sometimes requiring a combination solution.

0. Hotplug your eGPU after bootup to delay Apple firmware initialization of the eGPU

– hold the OPTION key to halt OS, hotplug the eGPU, continue OS loading
– use easyBCD to add a Windows bootmenu delay. Bootup system, see the Windows bootmenu, hotplug the eGPU, continue loading Windows.

1. Use apple_set_os.efi  to enable your iGPU and use a specific TB3 port [from goalque]

2. 2013+ 15″ MBP (GT750M/M370x/RP4xx) – disable the dGPU hosting root x16 PCIe port if using apple_set_os.efi + gpu-switch [from  ryokun6 ]

3. 2016 13″ MBP – Disable port #10 – 9D19, as shown below. [from haruhiku]

4. 2016 MBP: Disable and re-enable the Thunderbolt PCIe bridge hosting the iSight Camera utilising a large PCIe aperature

Go to Device Manager -> View -> Device by Connection
Find the “iSight Camera”. Disable the PCI Root Bridge above it.
Find your NVidia eGPU. Disable the PCI Root Bridge above it.
Wait for the Windows Error sound
Go to the same PCI Root Bridge above your NVidia.  Click “Enable”
Reboot your system to see error 12 gone.

5. Have windows reallocate your Thunderbolt PCIe bridges

A Windows reinstall being one way of doing this. The other is to:

Go to Device Manager -> View Devices By Connection. Find your eGPU then disable the PCIe bridges above it one at a time like shown below including the (in this case) Root port #5. . Then re-enable them. The idea is to force reallocation by Windows. A variation of this is to uninstall the top level PCI Bridge/Port so as to have Windows re-pnp the system upon reboot.

6. Perform a DSDT override to allow eGPU allocation in 36-bit space. Reported by several 2016 MBP owners as fixing their error 12. Do the bridge reallocation in (5) if still see error 12.

7. Use Nando4’s DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 software to resolve error 12 on BIOS/MBR Windows for these systems:
  • Macbook Pro 17-inch, late-2011 with HD6770M dGPU
  • MacBook Pro 15-inch, mid 2012–2015 (GT650M, Iris Pro and GT750M models excluding M370X model)
  • MacBook Pro 13-inch, early 2011–2014 (2nd-4th gen i-core)
  • MacBook Air 11-inch or 13-inch,  mid 2012–2014 (3rd-4th gen i-core)
  • Mac Mini late-2014
  • iMac 27-in 2011 with HD6970M dGPU

8. Set the VGA Enable bit on the hosting PCIe bridge using rEFInd. @DANgerous25 covers this in the followup derivative post. [original rEFIt script removed due to rEFIt’s discontinuance but has been integrated by @DANgerous25].

Edited: 1 month  ago

Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures comparedInterface Peformance Reference TableDIY eGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 21, 2017 12:33 am  

Using rEFInd to set the VGA Enable bit

After a few days of intensive research, trial and error, I’ve managed to get rEFInd working with with a variation of the script posted by nando4. Caveat: I am on the road right now and don’t have my eGPU with me, so I can’t tell if the solution actually works. I’ll edit the post when I can.

In any case the rEFInd setup may well be of use to some people in a similar boat to me. Attached is a screen of my boot loader screen. From left to right, top row: Win 10, Win 10 + eGPU (using variant of nando4’s solution), MacOS Sierra 10.12.3. Bottom row: MacOS recovery mode, EFI Shell, power off, restart, exit rEFInd.

Rough procedure to achieve this:

• Download and install rEFInd. (Suggested downloaddocumentation)
  • Download and install an EFI Shell.  (Suggested download | documentation*)
    • Note that to install this, you have to copy the Shell_Full.efi file in the download page to your EFI/tools directory, however you must rename it to shell.efi (lowercase). I believe that rEFInd expects the exact filename shell.efi no matter which shell you use. If you use the suggested rEFInd download then there’s a handy script in the zip which you can execute with sudo <your_download_path>/mountesp to mount to the EFI area so that you can copy the shell binary and create/edit the script that is coming up later on. 
    • You have to enable the EFI shell in your refind.conf by ensuring that you have showtools shell in there somewhere.
    • * = The documentation link doesn’t match the suggested download shell; if you want to use the matching shell then here is the download. The commands look the same but some of the syntax is different (and crucially the mm command is different). However this document gave me vital clues as to how to do anything with the shell. Top tip: the -b option shows output page by page, so try help -b and your troubles will diminish.
  • Create a script in the EFI/tools directory, which I’ve named win_plus_gpu.nsh (the name doesn’t matter but you need to refer to it later). Note that I am using a late 2016 13″ MBP with Touchbar hence the uncommented line. 
echo -off
echo "Setting VGA Enable register on PCI bridge hosting eGPU . . ."
########################################################################
# Remove the hash on the line after your system to include that parameter
########################################################################
# 2016 13" MBP setting
# 2013 13" MBP
# 2013 11/13" MBA
mm 001C043E 1 ;PCI :8
# 2016 15" MBP setting
# mm 0001023E 1 ;PCI :8
# 2013-15" MBP setting
# mm 0001013E 1 ;PCI :8
echo "Pausing for 10s"
stall 10000000
echo "Booting Windows"
echo "Executing command = fs0:\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi"
fs0:\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi
  • If like me you are using a simple MacOS Sierra install with a single Windows 10 in Bootcamp, then adding the following lines to your refind.conf will give you the boot option that will launch your script via the EFI shell. If you’re not using a rEFInd theme then you can omit the icon line.
menuentry "Win 10 + GPU" {
    icon EFI\refind\themes\rEFInd-minimal-master\icons\os_win8_eGPU.png
    ostype "Windows"
    loader \EFI\tools\shell.efi
    options "fs0:\EFI\tools\win_plus_gpu.nsh"
}

That’s it! Some final notes/things to be aware of:

• In case you are trying to reproduce the look of my boot loader, I’ve installed the rEFInd-minimal theme, and I’ve used a simple image editing program to essentially invert the colours in the background and the icons to make everything white on black. For Windows + eGPU I’ve resized the Windows icon that comes with the rEFInd-minimal theme, and added one of the other icons (with some colour editing) to the Windows logo for the eGPU one. I’ve removed the badges and hints by editing the refind.conf (or theme.conf if using a theme) with the line hideui badges,hints, and set the icon style to large by including small_icon_size 96 and big_icon_size 256 as separate rows in the refind.conf (although they still come up small on my MBP due to screen res).
  • I’ve had a lot of trouble doing anything useful with the EFI shell because my MBP+TB doesn’t have working function keys whilst in the shell. So I can’t do anything with the edit command (which is a text editor). This means that I have to edit files by mounting the EFI in MacOS. No big drama, but a bit annoying. If anyone has any clue how to enable function keys at the EFI stage, or if there is another way to use the edit command in the EFI shell without the use of function keys, then please let me know.
  • For the same function key reason above I can’t do as much as I’d like with the rEFInd boot loader at the loader screen. Hitting shift+[=] (for +) gives some options, but not sure if they’ll all the options. F keys and insert (neither of which I have) also do something, not sure what though.
  • The “mm” command in the EFI script isn’t confirmed to work for me [yet]. Syntactically it is accepted by the shell, but I don’t have a eGPU connected right now to see if it does anything. I also have no clue what it does… maybe someone can chime in here!
  • I have tried to change the screen resolution in rEFInd so that everything isn’t so small, but haven’t had much luck. If anyone has found a working set of resolutions for a 13″ MBP then please let me know.

Do let me know if anyone has questions on the above.

Dan

(Edit 22/2/2017: Simplified instructions, provided new shell which seems to work better.)
Edited: 4 months  ago

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 24, 2017 4:16 am  

Hi @nando4/anyone, finally I’m able to test the startup.nsh script. I don’t get any errors, but it has no effect. My observations:

• If I try to boot Windows with the eGPU plugged in, Windows won’t boot. The Windows logo flickers a couple of times and just hangs.
  • If I boot into Windows with no eGPU plugged in, then plug it in once I’m logged in, I get error 12. My device manager is pretty much identical to yours except my GPU is the Intel Iris Graphics 550.
  • Disabling and enabling the switch ports doesn’t seem to do the job.
  • I don’t have an “iSight camera” item anywhere in the tree that I can see. I’m using a late 13″ 2016 MBP+TB.

So my burning question is now this: nando4’s script, and my rEFInd replica don’t seem to help. Can someone help me to understand what this mm command is, what it is supposed to do in this context? If I can understand it then maybe I can determine if the values are somehow different to what’s required for my setup.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
goalque
Honorable Member Admin
February 24, 2017 5:02 am  

So many people are missing the most important part:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp

It should be sticky. No need to disable anything, no DSDT override, it resolves the error code 12. Just use the Windows 10 version 10.0.10586.

Edited: 5 months  ago

ReplyQuote
nando4
Noble Member Admin
February 24, 2017 5:33 am  

DANgerous25, pls test @goalque’s suggestion above and advise if it does resolve your error 12. If not, then I’ll continue investigating some other EFI Bootloaders.

@goalque, I’ve quoted your suggestion as the #1 sticky item in the opening post.

Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures comparedInterface Peformance Reference TableDIY eGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 24, 2017 6:11 am  

@goalque – thank you for the suggestion and link. Here is the initial feedback as I was able to try it quickly owing to my rEFInd setup:

• Following the suggestion in goalque’s post I’m now able to start Windows with the eGPU plugged in. That’s one problem solved, yippee!
  • I’m now getting error 12 in two of the four “PCI Express Downstream Switch Port” nodes, and the GTX 980 Ti no longer appears.
  • If I disable the first one, then scan for hardware changes, the GTX 980 Ti shows up in the list where it normally would but still shows error 12.
  • Uninstalled Windows nVidia drivers, rebooted, re-installed nVidia drivers from nVidia website. No change.
  • I’ve been doing all of the above whilst running my win_plus_egpu.nsh script, which has the magical line mm 001C043E 1 ;PCI :8 . I just tried running the script (again following goalque’s apple_set_os.efi trick)… boom, this time I see my external monitor flash, and then my MPB+TB screen has a blue screen of death which is a blue background with some white fuzzy sprinkles. Then auto-reboot. That happens if I boot with the eGPU plugged in, or if plug it in after booting. So that mm command was doing something… 

The obvious gap I see at the moment is that my Win 10 build is different; goalque says use 10.0.10586. When I use winver it says “Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)”. I’m guessing this is not the same. I’m not averse to re-installing if I can find the right version.

I will play with it a bit further and edit the post if anything new happens. 

(Edit: Added bullet point 4 & 5 above. Anyone know if my mm command is at fault and what the correct syntax is?)

ReplyQuote
goalque
Honorable Member Admin
February 24, 2017 6:25 am  

Thanks,

I’ve successfully used this method with the non-touch 2016 13″ MBP (both TB3 and TB2 enclosures).

For the dGPU equipped Macs I recommend combining gpu-switch integrated mode prior to executing apple_set_os.efi but I don’t know if it will work.

Uninstall all the default Nvidia Windows drivers, and keep the eGPU monitor plugged in during the startup, then install the latest from Nvidia’s web site. AMD cards are easier to get working with Windows 10 built-in drivers.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Raphax
February 24, 2017 10:01 am  

@goalque so if I install the windows 10.0.10586 on my non-touchbar MBP 13″ 2016 the eGPU will work without DSDT override (error 12)??

Thanks!!!

Macbook Pro 13" 2016 (Two Thunderbolt Port)
Akitio Thunder3 (Default)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 1050TI 4GB

eGPU working with bootcamp and dstd override on Windows TestSigning ON

ReplyQuote
goalque
Honorable Member Admin
February 24, 2017 10:30 am  

@Raphax: I haven’t tried any Pascal card yet, only Maxwell from Nvidia.

Raphax liked
ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 25, 2017 12:21 am  
Posted by: nando4

DANgerous25, pls test @goalque’s suggestion above and advise if it does resolve your error 12. If not, then I’ll continue investigating some other EFI Bootloaders.

Hi @nando4/goalque, unfortunately I just can’t get it working. I’ve also tried re-installing Windows, and that doesn’t help either. I don’t have @goalque’s recommended Win10 build, so either the problem is with the Win10 build, or it’s something specific to the 13″ MBP+TB (as I’m presuming only the non-TB versions were the ones tested).

Any ideas? I’m going to start looking into the DSDT override now. Looks messy though…

Raphax liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
Noble Member Admin
February 25, 2017 12:38 am  
Posted by: DANgerous25

Posted by: nando4

Hi @nando4/goalque, unfortunately I just can’t get it working. I’ve also tried re-installing Windows, and that doesn’t help either. I don’t have @goalque’s recommended Win10 build, so either the problem is with the Win10 build, or it’s something specific to the 13″ MBP+TB (as I’m presuming only the non-TB versions were the ones tested).

Any ideas? I’m going to start looking into the DSDT override now. Looks messy though…

Dan, pls do up to Step 1 (ii) at https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#step1 and then email me your \dsdt folder. I am preparing reference DSDT files at https://egpu.io/public-repository-egpu-dsdt-overrides/ and would like to include your model.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 25, 2017 12:43 am  

Ok nando4, doing now. The WDK is taking forever to download, and I’m not sure I’ve downloaded the right one (as I got a message about there being no compiler). The link in your other page is a landing page but doesn’t point to a specific link (that I found, anyway).

ReplyQuote
goalque
Honorable Member Admin
February 25, 2017 4:32 am  

@DANgerous25, 

Your problem is the Windows version – it is the Anniversary Update (1607) which turns on “fast startup” and is not eGPU friendly even if turned off. Try downgrading to earlier builds if possible. What’s your version after Boot Camp installation? I have quite old Windows 10 Pro ISO file, purchased from Microsoft Store.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 25, 2017 5:35 am  
Posted by: goalque

@DANgerous25, 

Your problem is the Windows version – it is the Anniversary Update (1607) which turns on “fast startup” and is not eGPU friendly even if turned off. Try downgrading to earlier builds if possible. What’s your version after Boot Camp installation? I have quite old Windows 10 Pro ISO file, purchased from Microsoft Store.

Hey @goalque, you might well be right. However I don’t have and can’t find the old ISO, the Windows site only lets you download the latest version unless you’re an MSDN subscriber (which I’m not).

The good news is that I’ve now managed to get my current build (version 1607 build 14393) to work with the eGPU. I had to pretty much combine all solutions I could find in the various threads together to get it working. There are a lot of steps, as per here. As you will note, it’s not pretty!

High level steps:

My solution for my late 2016 13″ MBP+TouchBar + Akitio Node + GeForce GTX 980 TI, similar to @achetnik’s solution but with a few extra steps: 

• Got the eGPU working in MacOS without any problems using the well documented automate_eGPU.sh method
  • Installed rEFInd so that I have a nice boot selection menu (see this post for details)
  • Created a “startup.nsh” script that does the “VGA enable” fix (see this post for details). Note that if I don’t use this fix then I get a blue screen of death (BSOD), so for my setup at least it seems a necessary step.
  • Install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home (using Bootcamp Assistant)
  • Install the Bootcamp drivers (again using Bootcamp Assistant)
  • Using rEFInd I’ve chained apple_set_os.efi into the boot process (see this post for details) so that I can boot with the eGPU plugged in, which prevents Windows from hanging on startup. 
  • Install the Intel Thunderbolt drivers – I didn’t do this explicitly
  • Update the Firmware on the NODE if not already done so (must be done before trying to setup in MacOS) – I didn’t do this explicitly because I got an error message saying “Thunderbolt (TM) Service Does Not Exist”
  • Install the Nvidia Drivers – Done
  • Configure the standard DSDT Override and TESTSIGNING mode ON – Done
  • Restart
  • Confirm Large Memory within Device Manager
  • Run bcdedit.exe -set PCIEXPRESS FORCEDISABLE in an admin command prompt.
  • Hot Plug eGPU in top right TB3 port (I can’t get it to work in any other port, I’d done all steps up to here using one of the left hand TB3 ports), wait for BSOD and auto-reboot
  • Shut down – The BSOD did this for me
  • Disconnect eGPU – No need, I have the apple_set_os.efi fix (see this post)
  • Boot Windows
  • Remove all of the devices in Device Manager – Resources using the large memory space (All of the ones with a blue icon – not the USB icon one!) –  I didn’t need to do this
  • Hot Plug the eGPU (Within a few minutes the eGPU will be usable without error 12 and the other devices will also come back and start working again) – I didn’t need to do this
  • When Windows restarted after its BSOD the external screen came to life, yipee!

Please note that there was a lot of trial/error in the above steps. It’s possible that one or more of them were not necessary (I really hope for anyone else’s sake that the DSDT override isn’t necessary, as that’s a pain… but I think it is).

nando4 and goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
Honorable Member Admin
February 25, 2017 6:11 am  

@DANgerous25: Thanks for this detailed report and congratulations for the success! 🙂 DIYing eGPUs involves lots of trial and error but rewarding when it works.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
Trusted Member
February 25, 2017 6:56 am  

Thanks, I couldn’t have done it without the help of @goalque and @nando4, and countless other posters from this forum. However, getting my MBP working with eGPU in Win10 was something of a fun challenge project. My real hope is to get it working perfectly with my 5k iMac 😉 in MacOS.

Anyway, some [interesting] stats/observations with my testing so far. Note my Unigine set up on Ultra / Extreme / 1600 x 900 / 8xAA. Apologies for the table format, for some reason I can’t get the borders to display.

System O/S Setup (inc. EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI) Unigine Heaven B/M Observations
L2016 13″ MBP+TB MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Akitio Node in upper right TB3 port, internal MBP screen set as primary monitor 1984

+ Very easy to set up / + windows appear on the screens you want them to / – full screen has great eGPU acceleration, but in windowed mode its terrible

L2016 13″ MBP+TB MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Akitio Node in upper right TB3 port, external Dell 4k screen set as primary monitor 1980

+ Very easy to set up / + windows appear on the screens you want them to / + window mode has eGPU performance on external monitor

L2016 13″ MBP+TB MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Akitio Node in upper right TB3 port 1947 (possibly due to this) + Very easy to set up / + windows appear on the screens you want them to / – full screen has great eGPU acceleration, but in windowed mode its terrible
L2016 13″ MBP+TB Win10 (Bootcamp) Akitio Node in upper right TB3 port 1871 – Nightmare to get working / – Unigine comes up on MBP screen (which in some cases may be preferable) / + eGPU is doing the job, on the internal screen
L2016 13″ MBP+TB Win10 (Bootcamp) Akitio Node in any left TB3 port N/A Can’t get it to work, either error 12s or BSOD if I boot without “VGA enable” trick
L2014 27″ iMac 5K MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Akitio Node in MDP port via Apple TB3->TB2 adapter TBC + Very easy to set up / – breaks screen resolution of iMac 5k internal display, rendering this setup unusable
L2014 27″ iMac 5K Win10 (Bootcamp) Akitio Node in MDP port via Apple TB3->TB2 adapter N/A (not working, “error 12”) I haven’t attempted to get this working yet

ReplyQuote
ihiro42
March 10, 2017 3:31 am  

Hi there. I have tried getting my setup to work. Razer Core – RX 470 4GB OC – 2016 MBP 13″ nTB (16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD).
macOS works (kind of) with external Display.

My problem is I get stuck on Error 12 in Windows. None of the above suggested solutions worked for me (DSDT override, Testmode, apple_set_os etc).
I already spent several days I am ready to give up on my setup.

I read through some threads and it seems ppl succeed with GeForce cards better then with AMD. And if I got that right – source of the Error 12 problem in Windows is the 4GB of Memory on the graphics card, right?

Which means if I get an GeForce 1050 with 2GB of memory would I still need to tinker with the Error 12 situation or should that work out of the box? That would be the last thing for me to try – otherwise I will just return the Core & the RX 470.

ReplyQuote
Tongefactor40
March 11, 2017 2:41 pm  

I am using a gtx 970 with a successful dsdt compile and was getting error 12. Trick for me was to plug the egpu in right when the initial windows startup logo appeared. Windows took ~2 minutes to boot but read the gtx correctly when I did this. Make sure you are in test mode as well. 

ReplyQuote
ihiro42
March 16, 2017 7:41 am  
Posted by: Tongefactor40

I am using a gtx 970 with a successful dsdt compile and was getting error 12. Trick for me was to plug the egpu in right when the initial windows startup logo appeared. Windows took ~2 minutes to boot but read the gtx correctly when I did this. Make sure you are in test mode as well. 

This didnt help with my setup. I have the GTX 1050 now installed. So my setup is now 2016 13″ MBP nTB, Razer Core w/ GTX 1050. Here is what I did:

• installed fresh copy of Windows Home (with latest updates)
  • installed Bootcamp Driver
  • update Intel iGPU Driver from Intel’s website
  • installed & Updated Razer Synapse 2
  • installed Razer GPU Switcher
  • Reboot into Windows
  • Hot plug Razer Core w/ GTX 1050
  • installed Nvidia drivers (latest from Nvidia’s website)
  • reboot
  • press ALT and boot from USB drive w/ apple_set_os.efi
  • few seconds after Windows logo plug in the Core

I dont get Error 12 as it was with the AMD Card. But the device manager lists an “VGA compatible device” instead of the GTX 1050. At this point I tried:

• right click the VGA device in the device manager – install drivers which windows detects

Right after Windows finished the installation I can see the VGA device changed into the GTX 1050 in device manager. Then the sound as if Windows detects a new USB device and then BSOD.

Same when I boot into windows again. Then instead of installing via device manager I simply restart the Nvidia driver install. As soon as its finished I hear the USB thingy sound, device manager shows GTX 1050 and BSOD right after that.

Any advice?

ReplyQuote
Rapunzel
Eminent Member
March 19, 2017 5:44 am  

I have a MSI RX 460 4GB OC and cannot get it to work on Windows 10 at all. I tried EVERYTHING but the DIY tool. The final attempt is to use the DIY tool, but I need a MBR installation for that, which I do not have.

I also cannot get the card to work with acceleration on macOS, beta or non beta.

ReplyQuote
knaughts
March 29, 2017 3:19 am  

I’m using a Razer Core containing a GTX 1080, attached to a late-2016 15″ MBP. I’ve tried a number of these steps, and been unable to use the 1080 in OSX or in Windows 10 (via Bootcamp).

When I look at the Device Manager, I do not see “iSight Camera” or “PCI Root Bridge” or “PCI Express Downstream Switch Port” or “PCI Express Root Port”. This means I can’t follow most of the suggestions above. I’ve attached a screenshot of my Device Manager, in various views:

I've also attempted the DSDT override. This seemed to be going smoothly, though I ran into trouble when decompiling. There were several errors that refs.txt was not able to resolve:

External (_GPE.MMTB, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.DD02._BCM, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C0.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C0.PS3X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C1.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C1.TPD7.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C1.TPD8.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.H_EC.ECRD, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.H_EC.ECWT, MethodObj)    // 2 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0, UnknownObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGPO, MethodObj)    // 2 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG1.ICMB, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 1 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG1.UPSB.LSTX, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 7 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG2.ICMB, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 0 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG2.UPSB.LSTX, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 2 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SAT0.SDSM, MethodObj)    // 4 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SDHC.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SDHC.WI01.PS3X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.TGPE, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 0 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC1, UnknownObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC1.USBM, IntObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC_.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC_.PS3X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (HDOS, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 0 arguments
    External (HNOT, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 1 arguments
    External (MDBG, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments    // From external reference file
This produces a number of errors when I attempt to compile the modified DSL file:

dsdt-modified.dsl   9814:                 0x01020015, Zero), If (((Arg0 == 0x03) || (Arg0 == 0x04)))
Error    6126 -                                              ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ','

dsdt-modified.dsl   9815:                 {
Error    6126 -                          ^ syntax error, unexpected '{'

dsdt-modified.dsl   9818:                 })
Error    6126 -                           ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN

dsdt-modified.dsl   9834:
Error    6126 - syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_METHOD, expecting $end and premature End-Of-File

Any advice? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
nando4
Noble Member Admin
March 29, 2017 3:30 am  
Posted by: knaughts

This produces a number of errors when I attempt to compile the modified DSL file:

dsdt-modified.dsl   9814:                 0x01020015, Zero), If (((Arg0 == 0x03) || (Arg0 == 0x04)))
Error    6126 -                                              ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ','

dsdt-modified.dsl   9815:                 {
Error    6126 -                          ^ syntax error, unexpected '{'

dsdt-modified.dsl   9818:                 })
Error    6126 -                           ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN

dsdt-modified.dsl   9834:
Error    6126 - syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_METHOD, expecting $end and premature End-Of-File

Any advice? Thanks!

The fix for this problem is here. Also, a pre-compiled 2016 13″ MBP DSDT override exists to test or compare against here.

Per the error 12 fix numbering in the opening post, the apple_set_os.efi method to enable the iGPU (1) should have been tried first before doing a DSTD override.

ReplyQuote
knaughts
March 29, 2017 10:02 pm  

Perfect, thanks! But since you suggest it, I’ll try this EFI boot method first. I reformatted the USB drive, and wrote your EFI to `/Volumes/EFI_BOOT_DR/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi`. When I reboot and hold Option, I see “EFI Boot” as an option.

I was able to boot into Windows 10, but I’m not sure how to check whether the EFI boot was successful. I do not see a “PCI Express Root Port” in the Device Manager; it looks the same as attached in my previous post.

ReplyQuote
nando4
Noble Member Admin
March 29, 2017 10:46 pm  
Posted by: knaughts

I was able to boot into Windows 10, but I’m not sure how to check whether the EFI boot was successful. I do not see a “PCI Express Root Port” in the Device Manager; it looks the same as attached in my previous post.   

Pls check if Device Manager->Display adapters lists your iGPU to confirm successful apple_set_os.efi use. That being the purpose of it here. If having difficulty in getting the iGPU working then pls post in that related thread: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

ReplyQuote
Inotna
March 30, 2017 1:07 pm  

Hi everyone. Thanks for this community I have been following on the sideline for a while. 

So I got the Touchbar 2016 MBP 13″ and I just brought a second hand Akitio Node. He didn’t have the time and he hadn’t used it yet. So he sold it for $250 convert from DKK?

I got the Sapphire RX480 8GB I spend a hell lot of time to fix the Error 12. So I got the pre compiled DSDT didt fix the large memory and made the clover USB and used EFI file for internal screen. No matter what I did I couldn’t  get it to work in windows 10.  macOS on the other hand was no issue. I spend two days trying to get RX480 to work in windows, but no luck.

I have a old Nvidia 630GT laying around and instant it wokrded flawlessly.  Both with external screen and internal screen. 

So im buying a new GPU. So I was thinking about a getting 1060 6GB and I know it won’t work in macOS, but I will use the egpu for gaming. So the question does it matter which version I get? I see lot of people use the EVGA, but I found Asus Dual GTX 1060 6GB will this work too?

https://www.power.dk/pc-og-tilbehor/datakomponenter/grafikkort-gpu/asus-dual-geforce-gtx-1060-oc-6gb/p-403177/

Sorry for for the long post, hope someone can answer my question, thanks!

ReplyQuote
Lace
 Lace
April 3, 2017 7:54 am  

I would recommend to you to buy a used GTX 970 or GTX980 (Ti). Both cards work for Windows and MacOS and they are more powerfull as the GTX 1060 except the VRAM amount and some (in my opinion minor) features. Especially the GTX 970 is available for very good prices.

ReplyQuote
Inotna
April 3, 2017 1:34 pm  

Thanks.

Friday I decided on 1060 6GB. And It worked flawlessly in windows 10 with the Akitio Node. I have already been playing some CS GO, Battlefield 1 and Hitman.

ReplyQuote
awhi078
April 9, 2017 1:03 am  

inota – what internal MacBook pro gb are you using? 8 or 16GB? did you have to dstd override with the 1060 6gb? cheers

ReplyQuote
Slucas13
April 13, 2017 8:37 pm  

I have a MBP w/touch.   Is there anyway to run an Nvidia 1080 TI?   I get the code 12 air and for the life of me I cannot figure out what to do. With that connected it freezes in windows but it will register it and recognize it inside of the OS X 

ReplyQuote
Inotna
April 14, 2017 12:13 am  
Posted by: awhi078

inota – what internal MacBook pro gb are you using? 8 or 16GB? did you have to dstd override with the 1060 6gb? cheers

I have the 8 gb version. Yes I used the pre made one for 2016 model. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register