2016 MBP 15" with 2.9Ghz CPU and Radeon 460 eGPU code 12

2016 MBP 15" with 2.9Ghz CPU and Radeon 460 eGPU code 12  

RSS

DBL R
(@dbl-r)

hey everyone, I am reaching out to see if anyone has successfully paired an eGPU with the 2016 15" MacBook Pro with the 2.9GHz CPU and Radeon 460. My computer recognized the gtx1070 via akitio thunder 3, but I've got the dreaded error/code 12. I have attempted several of the dsdt override techniques that are listed on this forum....with no luck. I was wondering if anyone has been successful with my specific MBP build. Thanks everyone. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Yup, there is an implementation in our implementations table. Take a look here.

EDIT: LOL, nando, that was close 🙂

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

After you done DSDT override successfully you can repeat @Alec steps to use your Internal Display with 25-30% performance drop if you want:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/internal-display-works-on-amd-2016-macbooks/

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
DBL R
(@dbl-r)

I was able to successfully complete the DSDT override, but then when I attempted to implement the internal display configuration my system locked me out on boot. Now it isn't letting me boot into MacOS or windows 10

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
DBL R
(@dbl-r)

I was able to get it to boot properly in both MacOS and Windows 10. I've decided that using the eGPU on an external monitor will work for now, I will wait for the radeon 460 tables to come out...the system didn't like using the current implementation guide. 

ReplyQuote
DBL R
(@dbl-r)

So a new update for my build. I was able to get the eGPU to function properly on my internal screen using this headerless display:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EK05WTY/

No extra software needed,  I just use the windows "screen switching" and play my games in windowed fullscreen mode to select my resolution. I have run into a problem with ghost recon wildlands. After several attempts and one long conversation with Ubisoft support, battleye attached to wildlands won't let systems launch the game while in windows test signing mode (so my eGPU setup won't work) since I used test signing mode to fix my code 12. Also, wildlands doesn't support the Radeon 460. So I am back to using my "old" computer setup to play wildlands...which is pretty annoying. I'm hoping for an update sometime where test signing isn't needed for code 12, and I can play all my games on one system...

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: DBL R

I’m hoping for an update sometime where test signing isn’t needed for code 12, and I can play all my games on one system…

Mikeal has already posted a way of eliminating Windows test signing mode by using Clover bootloader to do the DSDT override.  Just note the precaution given:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-macbook-pro-154-tb3-gtx980tirazer-core-os-x-win10-clover-dsdt-in-memory-override/#cloverdsdt

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote