Clear all

2016 MBP with Titan X - 4k Video Issues  

RSS

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone,

I have gotten my eGPU setup that was with a 2013 15" MBP with a 750m dGPU to work with my 13" TB MBP. For the most part.

My Current Setup is:

2016 13" MBP with TB

Sonnet III-D TB2 enclosure with Apple's TB3 -> TB2 Adapter

NVIDIA GTX Titan X (Maxwell)

OS X 10.12.2 (I don't care about Windows at the moment as I have a gaming PC with a 1080 inside, because, you know, NO PASCAL DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA YET)

It's also connected to a Dell P2415Q monitor.

What I've done to set it up was the standard disable SIP, TB3 enabler (not sure whether this was even necessary), and goalque's automate-egpu script. I also set the external monitor as the main window and used DisableMonitor to disable the internal screen to prevent UI lag.

I was getting increased frame rates with games, but for some reason I am having real issues with 4k video playback. 4k video lags horribly on Quicktime, Photos, FCP X, iMovie and sometimes even VLC as well. Sometimes even 1080p60 gets the frame drops. The only place I wasn't getting these problems was playing 4k in Safari on Youtube.

However, if the eGPU is not plugged in I was getting exactly zero issues. 4k playback works fine, which is expected since the 550 is just slightly faster than the 750m that I had. So obviously, I thought, that the culprit is the eGPU.

I am just wondering whether it's because NVIDIA drivers aren't playing ball with Metal apps?

Can anyone with an 2016 MBP + eGPU setup play 4k video on one of the aforementioned apps as well? If you don't have access to 4k video there's quite a few samples available to download with a quick Google search. I would specifically love for someone with a TB2 eGPU with an AMD GPU to try this out... if there is no issues I might switch to either a 480 or maybe even a 490 when it comes out.

2016 13" MBP with Touch Bar
Sonnet III-D modified with Sonnet SE1 TB3 Upgrade Card and 600W PSU
MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost OC
OS X 10.12.4

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Have you made any progress on your eGPU setup and 4K video lag issues? I meant to try this out with my Thunder2 RX 470 eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

Have you made any progress on your eGPU setup and 4K video lag issues? I meant to try this out with my Thunder2 RX 470 eGPU.

I bought an RX 480 but I couldn't get it to work properly! I was getting screen output but I was getting horrible lag such as black bars around the login screen.

How did you get your TB2 eGPU to work?

If I couldn't get this RX480 to work tomorrow when I get back I will be returning it... I might even return my MBP.

Otherwise I honestly don't know where to go on the Titan X issue.

2016 13" MBP with Touch Bar
Sonnet III-D modified with Sonnet SE1 TB3 Upgrade Card and 600W PSU
MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost OC
OS X 10.12.4

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Mark, did you ever resolve this? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote