2016 Touch Bar MBP 15" -> Mac for work (development), windows for home (game)  

RSS

knames
Eminent Member
January 11, 2017 11:56 am  

Hey all, I’ve been following along closely for the past few months, but I haven’t seen anyone with this specific use case.

I’d like to bootcamp my mac, using the Mac portion during the day for work, and then use windows for home use (mainly gaming). Would it be possible to bootcamp an external SSD running over thunderbolt 3? and run an eGPU enclosure with a 1080, and then an external monitor connected to the eGPU? (I’m thinking the Akito Node, when it’s ready, unless someone else has a different suggestion)

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the hard drive speeds should be the same as if I had a PC at home with Sata3, and there should be a minor (10%ish) loss of performance using an eGPU as opposed to a graphics card plugged directly into a PCIEx 16x?

The reason for this is I have a very small room, and my desktop PC is huge (full size HAF case). I’d like to drop my mac onto a big fan platform (help keep the cpu cool), and then only have to plug in the ssd, egpu, and a usb hub with my keyboard/mouse/headset/mic.

How do the new mac book’s processors compare to say a new i7 6700k? Does anyone foresee any downsides to this (besides the slightly lower gpu performance)?

Thank you all in advance, advice and corrections are greatly appreciated.

Also, I may tinker with the idea of building an enclosure to house the egpu, ssds, and the usb hub. Going over to friends to game would only involve bringing the enclosure, my mac, and peripherals (perhaps a monitor), which would be smaller/lighter than my HAF X case.

Edited: 6 months  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
Noble Member Admin
January 12, 2017 2:54 pm  

If you rely on external storage for Bootcamp, a custom enclosure is best. I wish The AKiTiO Node had the second USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port like the Thunder3 so that you can stuff everything inside the Node and use it for gaming with only one cable.

A separate USB-C external drive isn’t that bad of an option. It would probably has the advantage in giving the Thunderbolt 3 connection the full bandwidth for gaming with the internal display.

ReplyQuote
knames
Eminent Member
January 12, 2017 3:02 pm  

Thanks for replying! I’ve seen your posts all over the place. Is the performance of eGPU and internal monitor on par with eGPU and external monitor?

I wouldn’t mind an extremely compact setup if it ran well, although I would miss the refresh rate of my monitor…

I’m getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a new gpu, MacBook, and eGPU enclosure.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
Noble Member Admin
January 12, 2017 3:10 pm  

When portability is not a priority, use an external monitor. It’s about a 15% loss in performance.

The only scenario where I’d like to use the internal display is at Starbucks for shits and giggles – carry the AKiTiO Node with the components exposed and place it on the table then hook it up to a 13″ MacBook Pro to play GTA V. 😀

Lou and Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
knames
Eminent Member
January 12, 2017 3:18 pm  

hahahaha that would be a sight to see. Is the 15% due to running bandwidth both ways? Just off the top of your head, do you know how close to normal (connected to a pcieEx 16x) the eGPU gets over thunderbolt 3?

Do you have any idea on how the i7 in the 15″ tMBPs compares to desktop i7’s ? and will I see similar performance on an external SSD running over usb-c as I would one running over sata3?

thanks again for the answers!

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register