2017 13" 2TBPorts i5 7360U 2C 4T (2,3-3,6ghz) 8GB RAM+ ASUS XG Station Pro + Asu...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" 2TBPorts i5 7360U 2C 4T (2,3-3,6ghz) 8GB RAM+ ASUS XG Station Pro + Asus TUF Gaming 5700 XT 8GB OC + Windows 10 + External HDMI monitor  

RSS

xbox360 xgd3
(@xbox360_xgd3)

Setup:

1. Install MacOS (my case, High Sierra, useless for this GPU, only natively supported in Catalina, 10.15 and higher, as I read about it, but haven´t tried on Mojave yet)

1.1 Remember to download and install (later in step 2.1) drivers for your E-GPU enclosure and make it readily available e.g. in a USB stick, together with the GPU drivers, EFI files, and Windows 10 ISO mentioned below!!! Doing this in the first place could have saved me weeks of trials and errors as I didnt see any mentioning to E-GPU enclosure drivers on any guide!!!)

2. In MacOS, copy Goalque automate EFI to a FAT 24MB partition that you create in a USB stick AND on your Mac HDD using Disk Utility. Although I read in numerous guides that the partition could be either one, none individually worked for me, not without having both said partitions available at boot - so, besides Windows and MacOS HDD boot icons, will also appear, one EFI boot option in your MacHDD, and another EFI boot option, from your USB stick, a yellow icon, being that only by choosing the USB boot option, does the egpu activate and allows Windows to see it and configure it).

2.1 Install Windows 10 using bootcamp (apparently, no higher than the version indicated by the nice guy at bootcampdrivers.com, which can be downloaded using a link he provided there, see first video in his website. His tips of advice were good for me, but I could never following his guide alone, get my MBP to work with my EGPU... he WAS setting up a desktop like Mac machine in his video tutorial. Anyway, stick to his Windows 10 maximum version and general pieces of advice.) and use DDU, UPDATE DDU TO LATEST VERSION, remove ALL drivers, namely, AMD, INTEL, and NVIDIA, both AUDIO and GPU. My screen did not go black after this. Check all items in DDU, as indicated in his videoclip by the bootcampdrivers.com nice guy. But do UPDATE DDU to latest version first.

3. Shut down MBP, insert USB stick with EFI boot, hold Option and select EFI boot, press enter and "Q" which will prompt you to choose some options. I chose "save" and "exit to windows" but the system always stalled when doing so... 

3.1 In the process of insisting with MBP booting up this way, NEVER wait for too long for Windows 10 to boot up with your EGPU on... It may well burn in your precious OLED screen, as it did to mine, fortunately, only temporarily... for me, it solved the burn in OLED screen problem, being burnt in a huge Windows 10 boot up logo, which was visible everywhere, MacOS included... by reinstalling MacOS (happened to be original shipped high Sierra when long pressing at boot, command+R, but the version doesn´t matter for this topic purpose/setup, and it seems to have helped to fix the burn-in Windows 10 logo in the middle of the screen, to have a dead slow 4G internet, as the spinning globe was apparently healing the Windows 10 logo for an hour or so... OMG!!! Dont let this happen to you!!!)

4. Finally it somehow worked, as I kept trying to, while using the EFI boot via USB STICK booting into Windows, and when booted successfully, without green / blue artifacts in step 3 (AGAIN CAREFUL WITH HOW LONG - never more than a few minutes, I would say - YOU LEAVE YOUR MBP UNATTENDED DUE TO POSSIBLE BURN IN of Windows 10 logo on your MBP hardware, expensive replacement OLED screen) checking "device manager", and finally allowing installing the LATEST OFFICIAL (not the bootcampdrivers.com ones, these didnt work for me) drivers from the GPU manufacturer website/drivers download page. 

This has been a long process and I hope my tips of advice can help someone, as this is really cool, an old MBP playing recent / graphically demanding games at very high or even ultra settings...

Currently, only way to get to Windows detecting egpu is, hold option key until the boot icons appear, choose USB EFI boot, while keeping your external monitor ON, see Windows 10 logo appearing on MBP screen, being stuck there apparently forever, unless that, seconds later, Windows desktop appearing on external monitor, then go to choose display, project only on screen 2, then Windows 10 logo on MBP disappears, black lit screen on MBP, but everything works perfectly in Windows, including AMD software, 100% work.

If you happen to get error code 43 in Windows 10, that may well be due to the port you used and installed successfully is no longer being used. Try using the port that first worked for your setup (using second TB3 port from the monitor, only 2 TB3 ports on my MBP model) . This worked for me, error 43 gone (no more exclamation mark over my GPU in device manager graphics, correctly showing functioning i-gpu and e-gpu). Then, go to choose display, cycle from monitor 1 to monitor 2 to hide the stuck windows 10 logo on MBP screen, projecting picture on external monitor only.

BTW, this GPU has very bad rap as first results for keywords "Asus 5700 xt" on youtube, for no reason, namely, temperatures-wise, and energy consumption.wise (my Asus XG Station Pro provides more than enough cooling, and juice, for this GPU... around 330W, although not enough to power my MBP as it only provides around 15W... only enough to keep MBP charged with light tasks, and clearly insufficient to keep it charged at 100% if playing games, instead dropping to 10% after one hour gaming)... About temperatures, it never rose above 70 degrees, so, one of youtube guy´s opinion ranting at the 105 degrees celsius that this GPU would allegedly reach while playing F1 game, I wonder, would his GPU be faulty, as mine never peaked those temps, inside my well ventilated EGPU enclosure) so, that opinion may be somehow outdated, as my GPU is not the "revised" version of the graphic card, and he should probably try it out with another EGPU, not faulty, and post an update to his terrible opinion about it.

In fact, even playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider at HIGHEST, I get a comfy 30-60 FPS, GPU temp peaking at 90 degrees celsius. Same exact results for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Playing said 2013 GRID 2, at Ultra, I get around 150 FPS. CPU ranges from around 30 to 100%, battery lasts, when plugged in only GPU TB3 cable, providing only 15w power to MBP, for well over 2 hours. Very satisfied with my purchases, considering even buying a 2080 when the time is right, for the extra "bling" in-game.

I may come here once in a while to revise this post, perfecting it or updating it with FPS screenshots, but I can tell you, from having played GRID 2 at full hd, Ultra settings, averaging 126+ fps, this is very capable EGPU solution.

This topic was modified 4 days ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you for your post. If you'd like to be listed in the builds page then please complete the build template.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
xbox360 xgd3
(@xbox360_xgd3)

@nando4, thank you, but I would not call this a guide for a build, more like, something complementing with footnotes, other people´s guides, as my mbp version did not work at all like it did for other users (some 6 in total)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote