Setup & Software Discussions
2017 15" MBP + Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 = Kernel Panic

2017 15" MBP + Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 = Kernel Panic  

RSS

tomchunata
(@tomchunata)

Thank you in advance for looking.

I am having an issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro. It has a Radeon Pro 560 dGPU. I recently bought the Gigabyte Gaming Box Rx 580 rev 1.0.

When plugging the eGPU into my computer while already on, the eGPU's LED will start, the fan will start, power will come through, but then I get a kernel panic moments after. If I leave it plugged in, I will get stuck in a kernel panic loop.

In the steps below, I have had nothing plugged into the computer other than the eGPU.
I have tried booting into safe mode/recovery mode, and in both cases, power comes through from eGPU.
I have tried NVRAM/SMC reset, with it plugged in, and power comes through, but eGPU fans/lights stayed off.
I have tried unplugging/replugging the eGPU while the computer is off after the NVRAM/SMC reset. In this case, I got another kernel panic.

I did these steps with AppleCare, and was told to contact Gigabyte because it appears that I need a driver. Please let me know what else I should try.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@tomchunata All of your components are natively support in macOS. The symptom you described typically occurs with an incompatible GPU. Did you buy it new from a retailer? If so I would recommend exchanging it.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
brunosarmento
(@brunosarmento)

@tomchunata

Do you find any solution? I have the same problem.
thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tomchunata
(@tomchunata)

I had to RMA it. Took like 3 weeks. Never buying Gigabyte again.

@brunosarmento

ReplyQuote