Setup & Software Discussions
2017 iMac 5K with EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid via PowerColor Devil Box

2017 iMac 5K with EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid via PowerColor Devil Box  

RSS

itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Hey guys!

It's been a little while since I've posted, and with good reason. In my first thread, I began with an attempt to use my EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid via PowerColor Devil Box with a 2015 iMac 5K. This proved near impossible before the Devil Box was updated to the latest firmware, and the Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter proved to be a hiccup in the eGPU process.

Frustrated, I sold the iMac and my 12" MacBook and migrated to a 2016 MacBook Pro (non-Touch Bar), and LG Ultrafine 5K Display. My Devil Box worked right away and I've been enjoying the GTX 1080 ever since.

... But that was a stopgap until Apple updated the iMac with Thundebrolt 3.

So I picked one up, here are my specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K
  • GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
  • Storage: 2TB Fusion Drive, (128GB SSD version)

As expected, I am eager to get this GTX 1080 running on such a machine, (under BootCamp). I assume it will be an issue that the 2017 iMac 5K has a dGPU, (which performs quite adequately), so this will be more difficult than just plug-n-play.

I have begun by booting into BootCamp, Devil Box connected. The boot took a solid 3 minutes, which was how the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" had reacted upon initializing the eGPU. Though once booted, the Radeon Pro 580 was still present under "Display Adapters" in Device Manager.

The GTX 1080 is not displayed at all, so there is no Code 12 error or anything to be dealt with at this point. I have installed the same set of Thunderbolt Drivers as I had in the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" - should this not be the case?

Thanks in advance, you fellas are fantastic!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I’d recommend working through Goalque’s guide to keep iGPU enabled in Bootcamp. Maybe run HWiNFO to see how Apple arranged the 5K internal display and Radeon Pro 580.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm running BootCamp with the Windows 10 Pro Creators Update, (version 1703). Will this be an issue with performing the iGPU override via apple_set_os.efi?

EDIT: I attempted to boot through bootx64.efi, and it seems like the Windows 10 Pro Creators Update is not playing nice.

The POST takes a solid 3-4 minutes after setting BOOTCAMP as Startup Disk, and holding down "option" key at boot. Once the OS selection screen appears, and "EFI Boot" is selected, the Windows flag will appear, followed by the loading animation for a short time. After ~15 seconds, the screen goes dark, and reboots.

Currently wiping the BootCamp installation, and reinstalling Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update, (version 1607). Hopefully this will allow a boot using the iGPU as overridden via the apple_set_os.efi.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote