Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13 MBP with Akitio and Vega 64 - Catalina broke bootcamp support

2018 13 MBP with Akitio and Vega 64 - Catalina broke bootcamp support  

RSS

paradoxical3
(@paradoxical3)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to report my experience with Catalina. My setup has been solid on the official versions of OSX; I have been using a maxed out 2018 13in MBP with an Akitio Node and a Vega 64. I was utilizing Goalque's automate egpu script installed onto a usb thumb drive, and everything worked great.

Ever since I updated to Catalina, no matter what I do I can't get into bootcamp with an EGPU. Goalque's boot manager always says "egpu not connected" no matter whether I hot or cold plug, and if I try booting windows anyway with it, windows just hangs on the loading screen. I can only boot windows with the egpu totally disconnected.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way around it?

thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Give rEFInd a try... it’s fallen out of favour but it’s been rock solid for me. Different Macbook to me, but still...

This post was modified 1 week ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@paradoxical3 You can try reformatting the drive/volume that contains automate-eGPU EFI then reinstall it. Likely there’s changes within bootable variables the current automate-eGPU EFI loader couldn’t resolve which causes the boot hang.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote