Setup & Software Discussions
2018 MacBook Pro w/ Razer Core X & AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Steam & CS:GO Issue

2018 MacBook Pro w/ Razer Core X & AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Steam & CS:GO Issue  

RSS

pudgy
(@pudgy)

Hey everyone,

I'm totally happy with this setup so far and had utilized the set-egpu before Mojave! I have been using the manual Get Info > Prefers eGPU and it's been nice. I'm using my laptop monitor and so far everything I set to utilize the eGPU, does utilize it. 

However, Steam and CSGO won't utilize it even though I set them to prefer it. I asked Valve/Steam about it and they said "We wish we knew more about eGPUs. Maybe try a forum." lol.

So far Blizzard is fine, Unity Game Engine and anything else I've set to prefer it. I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Did you set Prefer External GPU on the Steam app or the game itself in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ ?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Ah okay. I don't see Steam in my Library>Application Support folder.

This post was modified 11 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

In Finder press SHIFT + COMMAND + G. Once the “Go to the folder” text box shows up, paste ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ in there and hit ENTER. Make sure you have the wiggly symbol in front of the path. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

So your name is on point lol thank you so much for your help! It worked and I'm in the folder. How do I go about manually setting the eGPU from here?

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Posted by: itsage

Did you set Prefer External GPU on the Steam app or the game itself in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ ?

I set the preference on the Steam app and the desktop shortcut. Not in the folder path you sent me. While I'm in the common folder and it's sub-directories I can't find anything I can manually set a preference on. I figured it would be the csgo_osx64 because that's basically what's loaded when I double click the desktop shortcut, but I'm not seeing an option under Get Info.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

I've been looking into this myself and I haven't found a way to internally accelerate cs:go on a mac right now except with a headless display adapter. As you said the csgo_osx64 "app" (launcher?) doesn't have the option to set egpu preference and when I try to add a .app extension (which gives the option to set egpu) then cs:go doesn't launch.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

I'm sorry you're dealing with this too but glad I'm not alone. 😀

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Yeah I'd recommend getting a headless display adapter if you're going to use the laptop screen.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

That thing is cool lol. I'm not sure why I'd need that though. I'm totally new to this graphics card stuff and especially so on a MacBook. So far I've had no problems, Diablo III has been fine, save for glitchy particles and shading in certain areas. 

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Details here it creates a "ghost" display that you can set as primary so OpenGL uses the external graphics card. Maybe if CS:GO is ever ported to Metal graphics on mac that will fix this but who knows if/when that'll happen.

+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Well Mojave was supposed to, at least I thought solve that problem with the internal display.

But, if the adapter will allow me to utilize my internal display while playing and let me use my egpu. That’s fine by me.

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

I  am curious though if itsage had a method for solving this issue. It seemed for a second like maybe there was a solution.

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/state-of-egpu-for-macs-mojave-10-14-update/

itsage does a write up here, it’s really well done and informative.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Yeah there might be a solution I don't know about. I think Mojave does fix 99% of the internal acceleration issues but unfortunately this is just a weird edge case.

+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Well, FWIW though you’re able to play CSGO with your eGPU using this little adapter?

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Yeah I have an external display that I usually use but with one of those adapters I can accelerate it when I don't have my external display.

+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Thank you so much for all of your help, that’s a solid solution for now.

ReplyQuote