Notifications
Clear all

2018 MacBook Pro w/ Razer Core X & AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Steam & CS:GO Issue  

of  3
  RSS

pudgy
(@pudgy)

Hey everyone,

I'm totally happy with this setup so far and had utilized the set-egpu before Mojave! I have been using the manual Get Info > Prefers eGPU and it's been nice. I'm using my laptop monitor and so far everything I set to utilize the eGPU, does utilize it. 

However, Steam and CSGO won't utilize it even though I set them to prefer it. I asked Valve/Steam about it and they said "We wish we knew more about eGPUs. Maybe try a forum." lol.

So far Blizzard is fine, Unity Game Engine and anything else I've set to prefer it. I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Did you set Prefer External GPU on the Steam app or the game itself in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ ?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Ah okay. I don't see Steam in my Library>Application Support folder.

This post was modified 3 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

In Finder press SHIFT + COMMAND + G. Once the "Go to the folder" text box shows up, paste ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ in there and hit ENTER. Make sure you have the wiggly symbol in front of the path. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

So your name is on point lol thank you so much for your help! It worked and I'm in the folder. How do I go about manually setting the eGPU from here?

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

Posted by: itsage

Did you set Prefer External GPU on the Steam app or the game itself in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ ?

I set the preference on the Steam app and the desktop shortcut. Not in the folder path you sent me. While I'm in the common folder and it's sub-directories I can't find anything I can manually set a preference on. I figured it would be the csgo_osx64 because that's basically what's loaded when I double click the desktop shortcut, but I'm not seeing an option under Get Info.

This post was modified 3 years ago

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

I've been looking into this myself and I haven't found a way to internally accelerate cs:go on a mac right now except with a headless display adapter. As you said the csgo_osx64 "app" (launcher?) doesn't have the option to set egpu preference and when I try to add a .app extension (which gives the option to set egpu) then cs:go doesn't launch.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

I'm sorry you're dealing with this too but glad I'm not alone. 😀

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Yeah I'd recommend getting a headless display adapter if you're going to use the laptop screen.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pudgy
(@pudgy)

That thing is cool lol. I'm not sure why I'd need that though. I'm totally new to this graphics card stuff and especially so on a MacBook. So far I've had no problems, Diablo III has been fine, save for glitchy particles and shading in certain areas. 

ReplyQuote
 of  3