Share:

2018 Mac Mini + Sonnet eGFX Breakaway box+ RX 580 crashes when connected, help!  

RSS

ryanstout001
(@ryanstout001)
February 10, 2019 3:29 am  

2018 Mac Mini i7, 32 GB, running most recent Mojave
AMD XFX RX580 with Sonnet eGFX Breakaway box 350w

Hello All,

Need some guidance, my apologies if this was posted somewhere and I missed it but I didn't see anything online that I am experiencing. 

When I connect the eGPU, the icon on the top right part of the menu bar appears and I have just enough to hover over it to see it states no gpu connected, then the whole system crashes, it will power cycle and continue to crash until I power down or disconnect the eGPU. 

I looked at the error log it prompted me to send to Apple and from what I can tell it appears to be a kernel panic, but that is beyond my scope of knowledge.

Things I have tried so far, I did a fresh install 3x with no different result, I have tried reseeding the GPU in the enclosure and double checked all connections, I ran connections from the same monitor to the mac mini and to the egpu at the same time.

I double checked that filevault, etc... were all off. I called Apple support since this mac mini is 1 day old and was told to contact Sonnet...

I know the card and enclosure are good because when I go into windows through bootcamp, windows 10 sees the card, even though it throws a error code 12, I tried the EFi fix I saw floating around but I must of messed it up because I couldn't boot into the new partition I created for it instead of using a usb. 

I can recreate the error if someone would like to see the error log but it is very long. It does state kernel panic. 

Any advice? Im kinda stuck now since I sold my custom PC to buy this setup and Im SOL without a gpu ( a better then stock gpu I mean)

2018 Mac Mini 32 GB RAm, 256 GB SSD Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box w RX 580

Topic Tags
ggabriele3
(@ggabriele3)
February 10, 2019 3:04 pm  

did  this start happening right after the latest macOS update?

same thing happened to me last night, right after applying the update. Not only did it put me in that same crash loop, but it also corrupted the external hard disks i had connected.

I got past the crash loop by disconnecting the eGPU, booting with a monitor connected directly to the Mini, resetting SMC and resetting the NVRAM/PRAM a few times. then, once i got a full boot into macOS and things looked stable, I connected the eGPU. It worked (as a second display), so I shut down and restarted with only the eGPU connected, and it seems stable now.

I can't say which of those steps actually fixed it, but it is working now.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 10, 2019 4:56 pm  

@ryanstout001 What's the model number of your RX 580? XFX cards tend to have compatibility issues with macOS. I recently tried an XFX RX 590 Fatboy and it caused crashing issues in macOS, same as you described. I'd recommend trying a different brand RX 580.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
ryanstout001
(@ryanstout001)
February 10, 2019 6:10 pm  

@ggabriele thanks for sharing your solution, I tried, mac hung when resetting NVRAM/PRAM, I did try it after the resetting of the SMC but yielded same results as before. 

@theitsage thanks for the insight, I am going to try this and get the Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 Graphics Card and see if that makes the difference

2018 Mac Mini 32 GB RAm, 256 GB SSD Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box w RX 580

ReplyQuote
ggabriele3
(@ggabriele3)
February 13, 2019 1:11 am  

So, it looks like I spoke too soon. I had booted into Boot Camp, then back into MacOS, and I had the same problem again.

All the drives are working; I'm doing some backups before trying the eGPU again, but this is very frustrating.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@georg_t_janchen)
March 22, 2019 1:00 pm  

Hi there, I have a similiar issue. Though I am using a Razor Core X with the Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB… First everything seemed fine. I started World of Warcraft and run on mediocre settings, after 20 minutes of play the screen turned black. I switched the HDMI back to the Imac to end the game, but then the system crashed. Now I rarely get a sign of life from the eGPU and when my monitor just shows some graphic artefact stuff. This happens when I start with eGPU connected or when I attach it after launch… 

ReplyQuote