Setup & Software Discussions
2019 13" MBP - Battlefield V with RTX 2080 (Asus Station Pro)

2019 13" MBP - Battlefield V with RTX 2080 (Asus Station Pro)  

RSS

ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

2019 13" MBP - Battlefield V with RTX 2080 (Asus XG Station Pro

I did a very quick YouTube video on how BFV plays on the latest 13" MBP - iGPU vs eGPU if anyone is interested. 

Sorry about the average video quality, I will get a capture card for the next one.

Set up was plug and play with the 13", so much easier than the 15" with dGPU's!! 

This topic was modified 4 months ago

2019 13" MacBook Pro (i7 & 16GB RAM) - MacOS + Win10
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
PhasmaGiga
(@phasmagiga)

Good Evening 🙂

I'm new to this community, I recently bought an Akitio node light (Thunderbolt 3) running EVGA Nvidia 1060 6GB to use on my MacBook Pro 13 inch 2018, After finally loading Boot camp onto an external SSD I couldn't get the eGPU to run on the internal display in boot camp, as you seem to have made it work could you please help me with my issue ? The error that keeps popping up is Code 12 but I've already tried disabling the ports linked to the Thunderbolt and Wifi Cards, but no success. I also uninstalled the Nvidia drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. That didn't work either. If you need me to include any screenshots I'll be more than happy to provide them 🙂

I'm really stuck so any feedback is welcome 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Hey @PhasmaGiga I'm glad the YouTube video showed you that this is possible. I will do a video however in the interim, plug the eGPU in whilst windows is loading up, when the white dots show and let me know how you go. 

That GPU doesn't draw too much power for the node does it?

I've just had a look and it appears the TDP of that card is 120W, which is way above the max GPU power  available of the Node Lite (25W). You definitely have the lite right?

Someone with more expertise can crosscheck me but that would be your problem with my understanding.

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@iculikemac good spot. The Node Lite can provide 75w of power through the PCIe connection (enough for RX 560's and GTX 1050's) so unless @phasmagiga has upgraded the PSU and bought custom cables power may be the issue... although error 43 is the more likely one to appear in that case...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
PhasmaGiga
(@phasmagiga)

Hi guys ! Thanks for prompt reply 🙂

After quick research it appears that might actually be the problem, This graphics card needs clearly more power. To go back to the code error 12 the message shows not enough free resources that it can use, so maybe it is just the insufficient power supply ?
What do you guys suggest i should do, buy a new eGPU enclosure, upgrade the power adapter or buy a power supply unit small enough to fit in the case ?

Again thanks for helping me in this miserable quest to gaming on a Mac 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@phasmagiga no worries! And your quest shouldn't be a miserable one!
I have done pretty much the same journey as you are just starting on, you have a few options.

1. Upgrade power supply. You will also need custom cabling and to mod the enclosure. There is a mini egpu thread on here that explains it in full. 

2. Downgrade your GPU. A 1050ti or 1650 will run on the 75w provided by the stock PSU and PCIe slot. The 1650 won't be much slower than your 1060 and may be a great option.

3. Upgrade your eGPU enclosure. The Node Lite isn't really meant for GPU's hence the lack of power connectors. A Razer Core X would be a good cheap option if you don't mind its MASSIVE bulk. A Zotac AMP mini is another good option as it's small but the cards that fit it are limited in number.

Check through my build guides to see pros and cons of each set up, I've had a few of the options mentioned...

---

ReplyQuote
PhasmaGiga
(@phasmagiga)

Quick update, i upgraded the power adapter from 12V outpout to 20V. I can now hear the GPU's fan spinning and after reinstalling the drivers, Code 12 error still shows up, don't know what other device i should disable on the system...

Thank you very much for your reply @Eightarmedpet 🙂

I love this kind of journey tbf but i reaaaally want to start playing some cheeky GTA 5 and flex on my friends 😅

I'll take a look at the link hopefully won't need to splash the cash again on a new eGPU enclosure 🙂

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@phasmagiga no worries!
It doesn't matter what PSU you add your 1060 needs more power than the PCIe connection supplies. You run the risk of damaging your components if you keep trying to run the card like this (maybe).
New enclosure or new GPU are the best option if you are new to this to be honest.

Odd my link didn't insert correctly. 😕

Back OT...
@iculikemac great to see comparison videos but feel you need to compare the same resolutions as well as how it works on an external (as that's how most would use it).

---

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

@PhasmaGiga Glad you have some information now! I would steer towards a new enclosure as you will get plenty of use out of it and have plenty of upgradability, I went with the Asus Station Pro but Eightarmedpet has some great suggestions.

@Eightarmedpet Thanks for your feedback on all areas on the post so far! Particularly the video feedback, I will make the next one with all your suggestions, capture card is on the way, cheers 🙂

ReplyQuote
PhasmaGiga
(@phasmagiga)

Thank you guys for the awesome feedback ! I will go with the zotac amp mini box as @Eightarmedpet suggested (really nice builds btw, seems like error 12 should auto resolve with the proper build). 

@iculikemac hope i didn't pollute your topic too much 😅 good luck with your next video bell notification is on 😁

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

@PhasmaGiga All good, very happy to help! Thanks mate!

ReplyQuote