Setup & Software Discussions
2019 15" MacBook Pro + Razer Chroma X (Catalina 10.15.1) : Ethernet fails after ...

2019 15" MacBook Pro + Razer Chroma X (Catalina 10.15.1) : Ethernet fails after a few minutes  

RSS

Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)
Eminent Member

Hello all,

Installed yesterday my Razer Chroma X (Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC). Download and installed the Ethernet driver from the Raser website.

After a few minutes (2 or 3), Internet stops working. It's unusable 🙁

Do you have the same issue ? Is there a fix ?

Please help me.

Best,

Eric

2019 15" MacBook Pro Radeon Pro R560X Core i9
Razer Core X Chroma + Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC (Catalina)
Razer Core X Chroma + Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Ti (BootCamp Win 10 1903)
Dell UltraSharp U3818DW

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

This is an issue with both the Core X Chroma and Core v2 which both have the same ethernet controller.  The only solution for now is to go into the network system preferences and set the AX88179 to only use 100mbit speeds instead of gigabit.  Not a great solution.  If you don't mind the aggravation the more of us who contact razer support the higher (but still rather small) chance we can get them to do something about this.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@ningauble77

The Mantiz Venus has the AX88179 controller as well and Ethernet functions appropriately for me as of 10.15.2 beta. It is worth noting that I keep SIP disabled, so also the case prior to installing the driver. This beta driver might work for you:

https://plugable.com/2019/10/04/usb-ethernet-adapter-not-working-after-macos-catalina-10-15-update-we-can-help/

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Hi,

Neither the new beta driver nor 10.15.2b2 fixed the issue for me. I didn't disable sip prior to install...

Could you help me please ?

Thanks 

2019 15" MacBook Pro Radeon Pro R560X Core i9
Razer Core X Chroma + Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC (Catalina)
Razer Core X Chroma + Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Ti (BootCamp Win 10 1903)
Dell UltraSharp U3818DW

ReplyQuote
(@johannes_balzer)

Hi Nadstaky,

I have the same issue with my razer core v2. But not only since catalina but also on OSX 10.14
I took this problem to reddit, I found that this issue affects quite a lot of people, the manufacturer of the AX88179 does not provide any updated drivers but the drivers are not the problem I presume.

This is a bad design flaw in the way USB and PCIE are handled in the Core X Chroma and Core V2, so Razer should really get their heads out of their asses and start debugging that and deliver a firmware patch.

The system basically goes like this: TB3 Macbook -> TB3 Controller that Connects to the PCIEx16 slot but it also daisy chains through to a second TB3 Controller that is exactly the same  to provide additional PCIE lanes for 3 PCIE USB3 Controllers. One of them Hosts the AX88179 Gbit Ethernet Chip and the other ones run two of the USB3 Ports each. So in terms of IO Capability this box is the absolute killer. But that also adds complexity which was maybe a bit too much for the razer engineers...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote