Setup & Software Discussions
2019 15inch MacBook Pro + RTX 2070 in BootCamp weird screen artifacts and freezi...

2019 15inch MacBook Pro + RTX 2070 in BootCamp weird screen artifacts and freezing when booting into Windows  

RSS

Coded Games
(@coded-games)

Hello,

So me and my friend are trying to use an RTX 2070 eGPU with his 15inch MacBook Pro. The eGPU is a gigabyte aorus gaming box with RTX 2070. We are following the directions described here: https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

We have gotten to the step where the guide tells us to run integrated.bat and then reboot Windows. Up to this point we have gotten the default drivers uninstalled, installed rEFInd, activated the iGPU with apple_set_os.efi, disabled SIP, made restore points, installed the cpu-scripts and ran integrated.bat. At this point we thought we would just have to reboot and then could begin installing drivers. But now when booting Windows we get strange screen artifacts before Windows eventually hangs. We made a short video showing the problem:

We are not sure how we can continue from here, do we need to restore from our restore point or is there something that we can do to fix this?

Any help would be really appreciated.

We saw the disclaimer in the post about enabling the dGPU before rebooting into MacOS, we simply restarted the computer without completely booting back into MacOS and are now getting this hang. Should we not have restarted the computer after running Integrated.bat? 

Here is the disclaimer: Warning: One important thing to keep in mind is that you have to re-enable PCIe Controller x16 – 1901 in Device Manager (if it’s disabled) then re-attach the dGPU to the internal display by running dedicated.bat prior to booting back into macOS. Otherwise the next Windows boot will hang due to macOS force-attaching the dGPU onto the internal display. This is another reason why we recommend creating manual restore points in Windows. In the event Windows fails to boot, you can go back to a safe point without redoing the entire setup process.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

2018/19 15″ MBP (8th-gen H) has had no success, as you are seeing, enabling the iGPU via apple_set_os.efi/integrated.bat.

Revert to booting without integrated.bat as other builds have done:

https://egpu.io/builds?table_filter =””2018 15-inch Macbook” Nvidia”

This post was modified 3 months ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

@nando4

We have been able to enable the iGPU with apple_set_os.efi, we can see it in device manager, and were able to update drivers so that it shows up as Intel UHD 650 rather than just Windows Display Adapter. It's just after running integrated.bat that we experienced this problem.

So how would be go about fixing this? Just boot into safe mode and restore from our last restore point?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@coded-games

Your setup is one of the easy once. Try this bootcamp guide.

@nando within this guide perhaps it's wise to emphasise on the fact that enabling the iGPU does no good at all for 15-inch MBP 2018/2019. Actually the guide is not fitting at all for those models.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

If you're simply trying to connect the Nvidia RTX 2070 w/ a 2019 MacBook Pro (15") then it's as simple as hot plugging after windows loads in. Go into the windows settings, and you can select the desired graphics card that you want to run the desired application. I was stopped at the 2nd step and notified that with the latest build on Windows, they have support inside of the OS to do such! I was able to get my Razer Core V2 w/ a 1080 FE connected to my 2019 MacBook Pro 15" in less than 2 minutes of just booting up and plugging it in and setting the preferences.

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

Huh that is interesting because we tried hot plugging it and it did nothing initially, it did not show up in device manager and did not attempt to install drivers. That’s when we started to follow the steps in the guide linked above. 

I tried hit-plugging it into my 2019 iMac and it worked as expected. Installed drivers and showed up as the 2070 on device manager.

We’ll try again with a completely fresh install of Windows Build 1803 and see if we can get it to work again.

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@coded-games

That's the reason why! You're on 1803, go onto 1903. 

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

Ok so we installed a new build of Windows 1903 and got things working! We plugged it in, installed drivers and were able to see significant improvements when playing Overwatch.

Then we began running into problems. We ran Windows update, signed into a Microsoft account and no longer can get the eGPU to connect to the computer. Before when plugging it in we would at least get the connection sound effect but we no longer get that. Could anything we have done caused the eGPU to stop working because of an update? Or could the eGPU be defective?

Edit: We tried plugging the eGPU into my iMac, which worked previously, and it was not recognized by Windows there either. We are starting to think that the eGPU is defective in some way. It worked for a brief moment and then stopped working after we restarted the computer. No clue what happened to it.

ReplyQuote