Setup & Software Discussions
2019 2.3 i9 MacBook Pro + internal 560x + External Razer Core RX 5700 XT Worse P...

2019 2.3 i9 MacBook Pro + internal 560x + External Razer Core RX 5700 XT Worse Performance  

RSS

(@brett_eichenberger)

I'm new to the world of egpus. I've installed a 5700 XT into a Razer Core and connected it to my 2019 2.3i9 with the Catalina 15.1 Beta 2 installed. I expected to see modest 25% gains or more using Final Cut Pro X or Davinci Resolve 16.1 but my render times are SLOWER by about 25% when using the egpu. I'm going crazy trying to figure out why. Any insight would be awesome. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TheMegaTB
(@themegatb)

@brett_eichenberger

As far as I know they are currently working on rewriting the rendering logic based on Metal for better performance. A few days ago the product page read “Coming soon”. Given that this implementation as well as the drivers for the Navi cards are in their infancy performance might be suboptimal but should improve with further Betas.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@brett_eichenberger You're saying the 5700XT has crappier compute than internal 560X? I've read that the 5700XT is not the best for compute but I don't know how it compares with all other cards.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@brett_eichenberger

this beta release is the first iteration of the Apple usable driver for the 5700xt... do you have the software set to prefer the GPU? (I don't know if this is needed anymore)Can you verify the GPU is running (activity monitor->Cmd 4)?

sorry if I am adding 0 value here... I did find that with an external monitor, I was getting the performance I expected but when on loopback, it was just trash compared to the native GPU (though I have the Vega 20)

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
(@brett_eichenberger)

Yes, it's being recognized by the OS, Final Cut Pro and Davinci Resolve. I'm using the display port out for my main display. Everything seems to be working, with the exception of the speed of the 5700 XT. There's no way it should be SLOWER than the 560X. For instance when I play back BRAW video in Resolve it plays at about 18-20fps vs. 24fps cleanly from the internal 560x GPU. Hopefully it is just a driver thing. 

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

The native OS X drivers are brutal compared to the windows... I get double the FPS in bootcamp on some balanced games (Fortnite which uses a bit of CPU and GPU).

Do we know what version of the AMD drivers are being used by Catalina beta?

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
(@christopher_straser)

You can't compare Fortnite on Windows with the macOS version. The latter is a poor port and performs worse on any GPU. Regarding the driver version you can see it in "About this Mac" inside the Extensions list. Anyhow, you once again can't compare them to Windows or Linux. AMD isn't involved in developing macOS graphics drivers. Apple is developing them. So the drivers are in no way connected to their Windows and Linux pendants.

ReplyQuote