2019 MacBook Pro + Razer Core X Vega 64

Notifications
Clear all

2019 MacBook Pro + Razer Core X Vega 64  

RSS

quickfingers
(@quickfingers)

Hello,

I sold my Blackmagic EGPU and tried a new Setup with a Razer Core X and a Vega 64

Catalina shows me that the gpu is connected. Everything looks fine so far, if I start Heaven benchmark or WoW 

the system freeze in about 2-3 mins. Vega 64 fans just started to spin after that, maybe a minute later *system freeze*

I have to reboot the system. It looks like the gpu is getting to hot ? I am not sure but it looks like the fan control isn't working

properly in macOS for Vega cards ? Any suggestions how I can fix the problem ? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sjzhai
(@sjzhai)

What’s the brand of your vega64? For my power-color, I didn’t found this issue. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
quickfingers
(@quickfingers)

Its Asus STRIX Vega 64 ROG air cooled. It keep crashing only under heavy load. Its fine if I use Final Cut, but if I start a game or Heaven Benchmark *extreme* it keeps crashing. I would like adjust fan speeds and Temperature but didn't find any solution for it yet.

I'M about too sell this card and get a 5700XT but as far as I can see this cards makes also problem with macOS. 

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@quickfingers

Nah. I’ve been running my Powercolor model AXRX5700XT-8GBD for six months. 

It works perfectly. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
quickfingers
(@quickfingers)

Well I saw a lots of issues with 5700XT and Razer core X and even Catalina 10.15.2 benchmark results wasn't even so great with 5700 XT. Or did I miss something ? issues solved with 10.15.4 ?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@quickfingers

Mine’s worked perfectly since 10.15.1

Sounds like you missed all testing Barefeats has been doing.

As well as the Basemark GPU Metal benchmark results. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote