Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Air  

of  2
  RSS

MavMG
(@mavmg)

@ivan_loo, very similar issues, only the i5 2020 MBA and the GTX1070. Still no luck on mine. 

Also let me know if you figure out how to make the eGPU work in MacOS. I know there are drivers and a work around for High Sierra, but so far I have not been able to downgrade from Catalina, no matter what I have tried.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @mavmg

Also let me know if you figure out how to make the eGPU work in MacOS.

That simply won’t happen unless Apple and Nvidia come to some sort of arrangement.  But I wonder if Apple has an exclusive deal in place with AMD that might include a non-compete clause which prevents it.  There are and have been no drivers available for Pascal and later Nvidia GPU’s since Mojave.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MavMG
(@mavmg)

I finally managed to get the GTX 1070 working on a 2020 Macbook Air. At this point, I don't even know what I did after so many attempts, but definitely using the Windows 10 2004 and disabling the Network adapter seems to be part of it (BSOD with both hot and cold plug if the network adapter is on, but I was able to turn in back on once eGPU connected). I also tinkered with the Thunderbolt controller. It has an option to turn power off to it when not in use to conserve battery in the options under Device Manager, which I promptly unclicked. I figure it might be turning off power the moment the eGPU turns into a problem or because the kernel dma protection is on. 

I also disabled the camera and one of the TB3 (this time I used the one closer to the TAB key, I don't know if that makes a difference). Finally, I did use DDU to remove the drivers and reinstalled the latest Nvidia. 

When I have a bit more time, I might try to do a clean installation and see what exactly did it and post a build, but for now, for any of you (@ivan_loo), trying to use an Nvidia eGPU on a 2020 MBA, there's hope.  

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@mavmg, Nice! Actually, I'll find some time to try again with your information.

Just curious, what eGPU case do you run?

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
MavMG
(@mavmg)

@ivan_loo, it's Sonnet Breakaway 550W

ReplyQuote
late_to_the_party
(@late_to_the_party)

@mavmg

Hey could you help describe a step by step process of what you think may have helped get your Sonnet 550w to play nicely with our macbook air?

I got a 550W box and RTX 2070 super to go with my old 2013 macbook pro, but frustratingly the mac wouldn't recognise the egpu in bootcamp. I've since got a 2020 macbook air i7 1.2ghz and hoping to get it working with the egpu. I was hoping it would be plug and play but seems a few folks have been having problems with this setup?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
MavMG
(@mavmg)

@late_to_the_party, hope I don't miss any steps as it's been a bit. I am also not sure that all of these steps are necessary, but just in case.

0. My T2 security was disabled from previous attempts to do stuff. This probably doesn't matter, but just in case, you can do this as well. Tha's done by pressing ⌘ Command+R at startup and then choosing "Utilities" > "Startup Security Utility". I think mine was left at Medium security with booting from external enabled. Though again that shouldn't matter, but just tracing all my steps.

1. Install the latest Windows 10 (version 2004). 

2. Disable automatic updates. You can follow @andygev35's excellent guide on that he has included as part of his build here.

3. Download the latest NVidia Drivers.

4. Download the Display Driver Uninstaller.

5. Disable the FaceTime Camera, the second is one of the PCI Express Root Ports and the Network adapter in Device Manager. They are easiest to see if you sort device manager by connection.

6. Another step that might not be necessary, but just in case as I did it. I tinkered with the Thunderbolt controller in Device Manager. It has an option to turn power off when not in use to conserve battery in its options. Thich is selected by default, so I deselected it as I figured it might be turning off power the moment the eGPU turns into a problem or because the kernel dma protection is on.

7. Restart in safe mode. 

8. Uninstall display drivers using DDU, which you already downloaded. Again you can follow @andygev35's excellent guide on how to do this. Both AMD and Nvidia.

9. Restart Windows.

10. Plug in the eGPU in the lower Thunderbolt (the one closer to the Tab) as you have already disabled the other one.

11. Now you can install the Nvidia drivers, which you downloaded.

12. At this point, the GPU worked for me (no errror 12), and I was able to enable the network adapter (note, do not enable the network adapter before the Nvidia comes alive as this resulted in the BSOD for me).

That's it. I hope I'm not missing anything. Good luck. But it's really a lot of trial and error that always does the trick at the end.

ReplyQuote
late_to_the_party
(@late_to_the_party)

@mavmg, Thanks for that. I followed your steps except I haven't disabled the T2 chip, or tweaked the thunderbolt controller, and disabled automatic updates, just paused it for 7 days for now seeing as I wanted to see if this works at all or not.

It worked after I first got the BSOD before attempting the disabling of devices. After I disabled the FaceTime camera and network adapter it worked in recognising the Sonnet box and 2070 super and I installed the latest drivers. Still got the BSOD if the egpu was cold plugged upon restart. Haven't tried powering down to see if it would cold plug but I'm assuming not.

However, i'm now getting the "not enough free resources, code 12" message when I click on the 2070 super in device manager.

Can any one with success suggest which devices to disable to free up resources? I read on another thread that it could be update issues and rolling back to 1903 but OP seemed to get their macbook air to work with latest build.

ReplyQuote
 of  2