2x1080Ti on 2013 MacPro make Redshift + Octane crash - please help!  

yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
August 1, 2018 8:14 am  

Please help! 
Can't get 2nd eGPU working.

Just added a second Akitio Node and 1080Ti to my 2013 MacPro. Upgraded to 10.13.6. Followed fr34k's macOS-eGPU.sh script.

Both Nodes and both Nvidia cards appear in System Info (see attached) as well as in Cinema 4D/Redshift preferences. But when i try and render in Cinema 4D (any scene) the whole app quits. I get a system dialog wanting to send a crash report to Apple. I don't get one when I relaunch C4D and there's nothing in the Redshift crash logs which tells me its a Mac OS issue, not C4D or RS?

Trying Octane (which I don't really use). One eGPU works. As soon as I turn on the second it gives an error and stops rendering, although the app does not exit. (see octane log)

Screen Shot 2018 08 01 at 5.58.42 pm
Screen Shot 2018 08 01 at 5.59.01 pm
Screen Shot 2018 08 01 at 5.41.38 pm
Screen Shot 2018 08 01 at 5.36.11 pm
Screen Shot 2018 08 01 at 5.36.01 pm

Akitio Node #1 has been working fine for almost a year under 10.12.6 with golesque's script (which I uninstalled before upgrading the OS).

• Node #1 has MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke in it.
  • Node #2 (the new one) has ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Blower in it.

I logged out and tried Akitio Node 2 on it's own (isolation test) to make sure its ok, and it worked fine, no crashing in C4D/Redshift.

Nvidia and CUDA drivers are up to date.

My Mac doesn't seem to like having 2 Nvidia cards?
Should I roll back to 10.12.6 or is there another solution? I'd prefer to stay on High Sierra so I can eventually use Mojave.
Please help - just spent $1400AUD on this new box and card so very keen to get it working!

Thanks eGPU community  😀 

2 x Akitio Node + 2 x 1080Ti + TB2>TB3 + 2013 Mac Pro Trashcan

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Eminent Member
August 1, 2018 1:34 pm  

i didn't think multiple eGPUs worked yet (maybe changed since blackmagic eGPU?). also, eGPU cuda for octane/ red shift not optimized yet either.

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
August 1, 2018 10:23 pm  

@jtob successfully got 2 eGPU's working under macOS 10.13.3 so it looks like it can be done, but perhaps I need to rollback the OS a bit?

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-mac-pro-trashcan-2x1080ti-sonnet-egpu-macos-10-13-3/

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
August 2, 2018 12:50 am  

Try downgrading to 10.13.3.  That is what I am on and it’s working very well with redshift.

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
August 2, 2018 12:51 am  

@jtob -thx.

any idea how to rollback to that version?

if I use Time Machine it will roll me back to 10.12.6 (i believe) and i can't find a download of 10.13.0.
I looked into this a little while back and apple wouldn't let me go straight from 10.12.6 to 10.13.3 - forces me to go to 10.13.0 first, before moving up to 10.13.3

but where is 10.13.0?

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
August 2, 2018 12:51 pm  

try this link to download the old os. You may need to install it on a thumb drive then reformat your system drive and clean install the old OS.  A major hassle, sorry.  Google it though there might be a better way. 

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1954?locale=en_US

if i were you I’d contact @fr34k on this website and see if he has any ideas as to why both egpu are not functioning properly with latest OS.   Since he wrote the script you used he may have some insight as to what’s failing. 

Finally if you do choose to downgrade to 10.13.3 Make sure your nvidia drivers are compatible.  the latest drivers I believe are not.

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
August 3, 2018 2:13 am  

@jtob

yeah thanks man. that was the link i tried in the past. it won't let you upgrade from 10.12.6 straight to 10.13.3 - wants me to go via 10.13.0 first... which there is no download of on Apple's site. 
i found one elsewhere but it appears to be a public beta and now im stuck on 10.13.0 and it wont let me go further for a host of other reasons.

Ahhh Apple... how can it be this hard to upgrade an OS to a specific version?! 

not giving up tho!

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
August 3, 2018 5:33 am  

I manged to rollback to 10.12.6 via time machine. Found a copy of 10.13.0 online (apple don't provide one). Then upgraded to 10.13.3 via apple support site. There are a lot of different 10.13.3 downloads. I had luck with the Combo Update, and not others. 

I've now tried goalque’s automate egpu script as per all instructions and my Nvidia cards do not show up in the System Info>Graphics>Displays (only the AMD D500s are listed). But the Akitio Nodes x 2 are listed under Thunderbolt devices. The goalque’s script seem to run fine with no errors. So I'm at a loss as to why its not working?

sigh

ReplyQuote
braid
(@braid)
August 4, 2018 3:51 am  

I was willing to buy a late 2013 15" mbp to use it with a 1060 for gpu rendering (octane/redshift), but I don't know... everywhere I look (read) people was able to make it work and the macOS runs FINE with the egpu, making my eyes bright again,  but also in the other hand I see things like "it's not working, I'm trying but still nothing.." sort of thing, and everything looks cloudy to me. 

I like the design of macbooks (sorry, but the gaming laptops I have access in my country looks horrible to me - looks they are going to murder you anytime), but I'm running out of options.
My options here are: No retina display (mostly are full hd - dimm/large bezels + bad design (sometimes even bad build quality) + hard future resale BUT powerful hardware is making me CRAZY.

Sorry for the offtopic, but since I'm a 3d user it did seems right to put this here and see if some of you work mates could give me the light.

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
August 6, 2018 4:33 am  

SUCCESS!

eGPU

After trying every script on every possible version of macOS... IT"S ALIVE!

I barely know how I got it working because what I ended up doing was the same as the first thing I tried which resulted in crash city.

In the end though:

• I reverted back to 10.12.6 via TimeMachine backup.
  • Then upgraded to 10.13.6 via App Store
  • Then ran fr34k's macOS-eGPU.sh script one eGPU at a time (rebooting in between)
  • The 2013 nMP would never boot with an eGPU attached, so had to boot, log out, plug in eGPU, log in, run the script.
  • After doing this process twice (for each eGPU), I rebooted, logged out, plugged in both eGPUs, logged in, ran C4D and rendered in Redshift and holy crap it didnt crash.
  • But this was the same process I did last week!

The only thing that could be different is this time I did it without my thunderbolt raid drive attached?

Anyhoot, it's working for now and as you can see is a approx 95% increase in render times. I'm nervous as to it's stability but time will tell.

Apple really making it difficult not being able to choose which version of the OS you can use or upgrade to. The official archive does not include a proper version of 10.13.0, and you can't update until you upgrade.

cheers, and thx for the help...

ReplyQuote