Notifications
Clear all

[email protected] no longer available after upgrade to Big Sur  

of  4
  RSS

Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

Hello,

I have just updated to Big Sur and the os will no longer output 4K @ 144Hz to my monitor. First my setup:

Base 2018 15" MacBook Pro
Akitio Node Pro enclosure
RX 5700 XT eGPU
LG 27GN950-B (Capable of 30-bit colors, HDR, 4K, 144Hz)

To support these features both the display and GPU must support Display Stream Compression (which they obviously do)

Before updating, every feature of the monitor worked out of the box I only had to use option + Scaled in System Preferences to select the highest refresh rate. But after updating to Big Sur the monitor is now capped at either 4K @ 60Hz (with HDR) or 4K @ 95Hz (without HDR). another option appears when I manually toggle my monitor to normal 1.4 DisplayPort mode (as opposed to using DSC), which is 4K @ 120Hz without HDR. I am at a loss here as I have tried rebooting/unplugging all of the devices and connecting them in different order without any success. It simply looks as if Display Stream Compression is not turning on, which corresponds with the limits on the resolutions I can see. But I find it hard to believe DSC would be broken as Apple's own monitors use it to pass enough data to drive them using a single cable.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Would it be worth installing the 11.0.2 RC if it fixes the issue? Any opinion as tho what might be happening here is welcome.

EDIT: To clarify, the monitor works 100% as excpected in Bootcamp, with the full feature set.

UPDATE: As discuessed later on, neither Beta 1 or Beta 2 for 11.1 have helped with anything. Will keep adding updates/replies on new betas.

System Information output:

Radeon RX 5700 XT:

Chipset Model: Radeon RX 5700 XT
Type: External GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x4
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x731f
Revision ID: 0x00c1
ROM Revision:
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 5.0.0
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2
GPU is Removable: Yes

Displays:
27GN950:
Resolution: 7680x4320 (4320p/8K UHD 2 - 8K Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 95Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Colour (ARGB2101010)
Display Serial Number: ---
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

Thanks,
Red_Epicness

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

TiM and Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

Thank you for posting this, I was just about to order that LG monitor and I also use a 5700 XT.

Doesn't look too promising if DSC isn't working 🙁

2018 i7 Mac Mini | Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 | XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

Glad to hear, but I do recommend you keep an eye on this thread if it does change, because as I said this literally worked 12 hours ago on Catalina. Only Big Sur bugged it up some how, on Catalina it was working 100% out of the box... Apple uses DSC for Pro Display XDR which supported on my MacBook so I have no clue what went wrong. I will keep this updated with any developments though, it is day one and there is a 11.0.2 RC that I might try, this could just be a day one issue...

I must say though that if this ever ends up being fixed, get the monitor, I find it amazing Smile

PS: The monitor works 100% as intended in Bootcamp, I dont have my build post up yet but i will link it here which will also mention this.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @red_epicness

I will keep this updated with any developments though, it is day one and there is a 11.0.2 RC that I might try, this could just be a day one issue...

What are you referring to? There is no mention/release of 11.0.2, only 11.0.1 was launched and as of writing this is the latest version, preceded by 11.0.1 RC 2.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

Posted by: @mac_editor
Posted by: @red_epicness

I will keep this updated with any developments though, it is day one and there is a 11.0.2 RC that I might try, this could just be a day one issue...

What are you referring to? There is no mention/release of 11.0.2, only 11.0.1 was launched and as of writing this is the latest version, preceded by 11.0.1 RC 2.

I have only just realised that soon after posting... Not sure how I got that into my head... You are correct there was never a 11.0.2, lol

ReplyQuote
TiM
 TiM
(@tim)

I'm not using an eGPU (at the moment), but I discovered the same issue plugging my ASUS XG27UQ into my 16" MacBook Pro. macOS 10.15 runs at 144FPS without issue, but Big Sur caps out at 98FPS.

My day job is making iOS apps, so I used my developer account to file a bug report with Apple. Hopefully we'll see a point release that fixes this issue soon.

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + Win10 [build link]  

Maraint and Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

@red_epicness, Does LG make software for controlling the lights on that monitor for Mac OS?  If so does the software run in Big Sur?

That was also a concern, having to use Windows to do hardware calibration, control the lighting, firmware updates, etc.

B&H is out of stock until December anyway 😜

it does look like a sweet monitor tho minus the missing HDMI 2.1 

ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

@nick_kay, So the monitor has 4 static color modes, one slow rgb and one spinny fast rbg as I call them, those can be changed using a scroll wheel on the bottom of the monitor irregardless of OS, but in order to change the preset static colors you have to use the Windows only software. Windows software also allows the audio or the video sync modes which syncs lights to audio/video, but the software has to be running actively for those 2 to work.

The hardware calibration tool seems avaliable for macOS but I do not have a hardware calibrator to test it. The other program, for controlling the monitor does work on macOS and it also upgrades the firmware. So the only thing you're missing out on macOS is lightning if i'm correct and even that is the dynamic audio/video mode and changing the presets (which are saved).

I haven' tested the software in Big Sur yet I uninstalled it as part of my cleaning so I will report back later, but I expect it to run normally and if it does not right now, LG should update it soon as they seem to do actively support the macOS apps it seems, so it would be shameful to not update it for a relatively new monitor.

Yeah it is an amazing monitor to look at, haven't seen a better one in person.

Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

"Windows software also allows the audio or the video sync modes which syncs lights to audio/video, but the software has to be running actively for those 2 to work."

Awwww...that's one of the coolest things about that display lol.
Thanks for the info though I really really appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

@tim, I also reported the bug using the feedback assistant too immediately, let's hope for the best...

TiM liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4