Notifications
Clear all

4k@144Hz no longer available after upgrade to Big Sur  

of  10
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@bo_gao, Why does this file look nothing like the first file you posted? What was the name of the original file you changed?

I see Big Sur 11.6 has an override for DisplayVendorID-6b3/DisplayProductID-3220 but your display has product ID 13025 = 32E1

Are you connecting with DisplayPort or HDMI?

It seems likely that this DisableDSC flag is not sufficient for enabling DSC. We might need a patch like discussed at https://github.com/kingo132/a51m-r2-5700m-hackintosh/blob/main/fix_navi10_4k_120hz.md except maybe we need to look at the applyDscPolicyToStream function which calls the dc_dsc_compute_config function. The problem could be outside the AMD driver though - in CoreDisplay framework. I guess first thing to do would be to use the "log show" command to see if it mentions testing DSC modes and to see what messages are output in case of failure.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Bo Gao
(@bo_gao)

Posted by: @joevt

@bo_gao, Why does this file look nothing like the first file you posted? What was the name of the original file you changed?

The first file I post is located in /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-6b3/

only 1 file called "DisplayProductID-3220", but I this is wrong file I changed.

Following your instructions again, after set max pixel clock I got a new file here: /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-6b3/DisplayYearManufacture-2020-DisplayWeekManufacture-1
I add some config (dsc) to this file, and this is what I post in the previous post.

I see Big Sur 11.6 has an override for DisplayVendorID-6b3/DisplayProductID-3220 but your display has product ID 13025 = 32E1

SwitchResX show me

Vendor: AUS - 6B3

Product: 32E1

Are you connecting with DisplayPort or HDMI?

I use type-c to DisplayPort to connnet to my Display. I tried in BootCamp windows, it can reach 4k144hz10bit + HDR.

It seems likely that this DisableDSC flag is not sufficient for enabling DSC. We might need a patch like discussed at https://github.com/kingo132/a51m-r2-5700m-hackintosh/blob/main/fix_navi10_4k_120hz.md except maybe we need to look at the applyDscPolicyToStream function which calls the dc_dsc_compute_config function. The problem could be outside the AMD driver though - in CoreDisplay framework. I guess first thing to do would be to use the "log show" command to see if it mentions testing DSC modes and to see what messages are output in case of failure.

I have no idea how to do this. this means we can patch the macos?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I guess first thing to do would be to use the "log show" command to see if it mentions testing DSC modes and to see what messages are output in case of failure.

We also know it works in Catalina so comparing logs/disassembly might be helpful. Some easy initial workarounds to try would be to just use Catalina driver in big sur and things like that (common technique to “front-port”).

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

joevt liked
ReplyQuote
 of  10