[email protected] no longer available after upgrade to Big Sur

Notifications
Clear all

[email protected] no longer available after upgrade to Big Sur  

of  4
  RSS

Maraint
(@maraint)

I used my developer account to file a bug report with Apple. Hopefully we'll see a point release that fixes this issue soon.

@tim, did you get any feedback about the 4k-144Hz Big Sur issue?

I've just received another 4k 144 Hz monitor and I might return it unless there are some indicators that Apple will fix this soon (and I found a solution for another problem), so I'd love to know how is the process going

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2,6 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 Gb 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4gb

ReplyQuote
Maraint
(@maraint)

LG 27GN950-B (Capable of 30-bit colors, HDR, 4K, 144Hz)

@red_epicness, I just got the same LG 27GN950-B monitor you have. Yet I guess you mean 10, not 30-bits colors... 

I also reported the bug using the feedback assistant too immediately, let's hope for the best...

Did you get any feedback from Apple?

I'd like to contact them too in case it helps to get more feedback to and from them, but it'd be better to know what progress has been made on this so that not to build from cero. 

Also, despite the cause of the problem being Big Sur, I thought Apple might try to make AMD work to adapt their drivers, so I've tried to contact them, just from their website, but (I should've expected it) they refer to the system builder ...

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2,6 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 Gb 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4gb

ReplyQuote
Maraint
(@maraint)

The other program, for controlling the monitor does work on macOS and it also upgrades the firmware. So the only thing you're missing out on macOS is lightning if i'm correct and even that is the dynamic audio/video mode and changing the presets (which are saved).

I haven' tested the software in Big Sur yet I uninstalled it as part of my cleaning so I will report back later, but I expect it to run normally and if it does not right now, LG should update it soon as they seem to do actively support the macOS apps it seems, so it would be shameful to not update it for a relatively new monitor.

@red_epicness, have you or anyone managed to prevent the lightning to turn on automatically when the laptop is sleeping? The back lights of my LG 27GN950 suddenly switch on on their own will while the computer is sleeping. They do it at different times; like after 30 min or 1 hour and then again after 2 or 4 hours. Turning them off in the monitor menu doesn't prevent them to turn on automatically after a while when the laptop is put to sleep, which I do every night (I turn it off completely once a week). 

I sleep in the same room I work, and when they suddenly turn on while both my computer and I are sleeping, they do it with this fancy festival of fast changing color lights mode.

The festival doesn't feel super awesome. 

I contacted LG but they weren't very helpful, they just said that I had to turn off the computer instead of putting it to sleep.... (!??). Didn't feel super awesome either. I obviously want my computer to sleep, and also my monitor (as other ones I had) and myself. 

I wonder if an update to the firmware/software would help preventing this happening when the Mac is sleeping. You mentioned that the program for controlling the menu (I guess you mean the menu I posted in the link above) can upgrade the firmware, but I don't see that option anywhere. Am I missing something? 

ReplyQuote
Gaerraty
(@gaerraty)

Not really an expert in this but this part caught my eye:

Posted by: @red_epicness

Displays:
27GN950:
Resolution: 7680x4320 (4320p/8K UHD 2 - 8K Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 95Hz

Doesn't this mean that macOS is running it as 8K? That could explain capping at 60Hz.

I think HiDPI thing is messing things up.

For example my settings (for completely different display) look like this:

BenQ EW3270U:

Resolution: 3840x2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz

Edit: Also, Im not sure if you knew that already and are just unable to get rid of HiDPI mode 😉 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) (9th,8C,H) + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
TiM
 TiM
(@tim)

Nothing new on my end. Apple hasn't responded to my bug report.

Oh... I guess one thing to report though. I tried updating my partition of Big Sur to 11.1 beta, but that's now made it worse somehow. 😅

On 11.1 beta 2 at the moment, my monitor will only respond and show the picture about 50% of the time when plugging and unplugging it, or doing a full reboot.

In the times that it does actually respond, the resolutions it support vary pretty drastically. I've seen it report as low as 800x600, and the one time it did report 4K, it was only capable of doing 60 hz. I've update my bug report with this.

My assumption is that now the Apple Silicon Macs are out in the wild, Apple's doing some wildly crazy stuff with the display drivers under the hood at the moment. Since 11.1 is still in beta, I'm hoping this is resolved before it ships for real.

For now, if anyone else is considering it, I'd recommend staying on the publicly available version of Big Sur.

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Maraint
(@maraint)

@tim, thanks for reporting. I've always been working with PCs until a year ago; mostly Dell, Lenovo and Asus. The technical service of the first brand was pretty good and the last pretty bad, but I hadn't seen them not answering in more than a couple of days. I believed that Apple technical service was above average, but 20 days without even an answer... ? And you might not be the only one... 

Thanks anyway for letting us know also about how the Beta is "solving" this... 

TiM liked
ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

Posted by: @maraint

@red_epicness, I just got the same LG 27GN950-B monitor you have. Yet I guess you mean 10, not 30-bits colors... 

Yeah, 10-bit per color so a total of 30 bits. Just a different way of looking at it.

Did you get any feedback from Apple?

I'd like to contact them too in case it helps to get more feedback to and from them, but it'd be better to know what progress has been made on this so that not to build from cero. 

Also, despite the cause of the problem being Big Sur, I thought Apple might try to make AMD work to adapt their drivers, so I've tried to contact them, just from their website, but (I should've expected it) they refer to the system builder ...

No I haven't gotten any feedback yet, but many bug reports (from both experience and what I hear) never get a reply, even if fixed.

@red_epicness, have you or anyone managed to prevent the lightning to turn on automatically when the laptop is sleeping? The back lights of my LG 27GN950 suddenly switch on on their own will while the computer is sleeping. They do it at different times; like after 30 min or 1 hour and then again after 2 or 4 hours. Turning them off in the monitor menu doesn't prevent them to turn on automatically after a while when the laptop is put to sleep, which I do every night (I turn it off completely once a week). 

I sleep in the same room I work, and when they suddenly turn on while both my computer and I are sleeping, they do it with this fancy festival of fast changing color lights mode.

I have had the same issue, but that was there before Big Sur, so it does not seem related to the updates in any way. I started to turn off the monitor manually when I put my laptop to sleep now so it doesn't bother me anymore. It is really fast to turn it on/off with the joystick anyway...

Posted by: @gaerraty

Doesn't this mean that macOS is running it as 8K? That could explain capping at 60Hz.

I think HiDPI thing is messing things up.

While I have considered that before, I am 98% sure it was the same when running in Catalina, before the update. I don't have a screenshot or anything, but I am pretty sure that when I first connected the monitor I obviously checked System Information and saw the 8K resolution noted, I remember thinking about it back then, but since it all worked I didn't pay much attention to it. So while this might be related, I am certain the output was like this before. I have also tried setting the monitor to forced lower resolutions without HiDPI (using option-click) and even at like 1080p non HiDPI the 144Hz refresh rate was not avaliable. I never check System Information when doing that and I will reply later when I can to see what it outputs when I force a low resolution.

Posted by: @tim

Nothing new on my end. Apple hasn't responded to my bug report.

Oh... I guess one thing to report though. I tried updating my partition of Big Sur to 11.1 beta, but that's now made it worse somehow. 😅

On 11.1 beta 2 at the moment, my monitor will only respond and show the picture about 50% of the time when plugging and unplugging it, or doing a full reboot.

In the times that it does actually respond, the resolutions it support vary pretty drastically. I've seen it report as low as 800x600, and the one time it did report 4K, it was only capable of doing 60 hz. I've update my bug report with this.

My assumption is that now the Apple Silicon Macs are out in the wild, Apple's doing some wildly crazy stuff with the display drivers under the hood at the moment. Since 11.1 is still in beta, I'm hoping this is resolved before it ships for real.

For now, if anyone else is considering it, I'd recommend staying on the publicly available version of Big Sur.

Very interesting to see your regression with the Betas as I have had no new issues running both the 1st and 2nd 11.1 Beta. Both of them worked exactly the same as the public release 11.0 and what I described in my original post.

But yes the driver issues are most definately in one way or another related to Big Sur being an OS running on both Intel and Apple Silicon, no other reason I could think of for such a regression.

But yeah, given that I had 0 improvement and you have an even worse situation, no need for others to rush the betas, I will report back with every new beta on this thread for sure.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

TiM liked
ReplyQuote
tanmay
(@tanmay)

That is likely macOS waking up periodically for housekeeping tasks such as Tim Machine backups, APFS snapshots, etc. Check the prefs under System Preferences > Energy and turn off any which might wake up the computer.

Posted by: @red_epicness

No I haven't gotten any feedback yet, but many bug reports (from both experience and what I hear) never get a reply, even if fixed.
Many bug reports do actually get a reply *if* they are being worked up on or fixed. I too have filed a radar about this issue and from what I see on reddit and here, a bunch of others have as well. That's a good thing, more people filing the same bug report pushes it up Apple's priority list. I'm at least hoping for Apple to update the report with a duplicate status so we know it's been worked upon. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Maraint
(@maraint)

@red_epicness

I have had the same issue, but that was there before Big Sur, so it does not seem related to the updates in any way. I started to turn off the monitor manually when I put my laptop to sleep now so it doesn't bother me anymore. It is really fast to turn it on/off with the joystick anyway...

Yes thanks, I can do that, just that my laptop is right below the monitor (I think this is the most common layout with one external monitor, and the joystick is in the middle, so I have to almost close the lid and then turn off the monitor and open the screen again. Just an inconvenience but I would not return it just for this. 

@tanmay

That is likely macOS waking up periodically for housekeeping tasks such as Tim Machine backups, APFS snapshots, etc. Check the prefs under System Preferences > Energy and turn off any which might wake up the computer.

It doesn't happen with other monitors (of course they don't have the backlight) and I want the MBP to make its periodic maintainance. Here I think LG should make an option for not turning on the lights festival when the computer is sleeping regardless of the computer making some maintaince stuff. The Mac doesn't turn on the screen either nor any other lights in any other laptos are turned on when there's some maintaince, it keeps sleeping while doing so, and so should the monitor do... But I appreciate you tips in case I decide to use them some day... 

ReplyQuote
Maraint
(@maraint)

@red_epicness, @tim and others, 

I contacted Apple technical service (maybe it's Apple Care, I don't know if there is any difference). They tell me that Macs are capped at 95Hz... 

Not sure if they were implicitly including M1 or just the previous ones, but that's what they said. 

@red_epicness, you are sure you were using it at 144Hz before upgrading to Big Sur, aren't you? Have you tried to restore Catalina then? 

Is anyone directly experiencing using 144Hz with any MacOs and/or Macbook version? 

Yet, 144Hz is something I could live without, but what it is really bothering me most is that the fans are constantly running since I connect the MBP 16 (with Big Sur, but it could have been the same with Catalina, just didn't try it before) to any 4k (in any resolution and Hz mode) or 2k monitor (the 2 monitors I have now). 

A much more humble PC laptop (costing 4 times less) makes no noise when connecting to them... It has no graphic card, which could be a clue, but still... Are you experiencing this? I tried every cable and I know I'm using the best ones for this. My monitors also use this very-close-to-110 pixel density that is supposed to be better for macs... (or 220). And I haven't even using Pycharm or any coding program yet. I just have browsers installed and 4 text writing/reading applications; 5 different browsers though, but it doesn't matter how many I have open. It just starts after 20-30 secs of connecting it. It starts very progressively which makes it less conspicous, but they end up with the fans sounding pretty loud, specially with any youtube video playing... What's your experience?

And does anyone have experience with M1s (air or pro) working at 144Hz 4k? Apple web only says the M1 air and pro are capable of 6k but at 60 Hz, same as previous MBPs but with only one monitor... And as with previous MBPs, no single mention to any refresh rate biggen than 60Hz, not even the 95Hz they only say by phone... I really can't understand what's the logic behind not specifying anything about it. Hopefully some of you can shed light upon this a little bit? 

ReplyQuote
 of  4