Notifications
Clear all

4k@144Hz no longer available after upgrade to Big Sur  

of  7
  RSS

fatheroates
(@fatheroates)

Can anyone confirm or post pics?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

I am happy to hear other setups have had success in newer betas, sadly my issue as described in the original post remains the same on latest beta 11.3 b2, at least with my exact setup. But if other bugs are being fixed, I can only hope this gets fixed aswell.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
刘子琦
(@b563052622)

iShot2021 02 22 14.02.36

ReplyQuote
fatheroates
(@fatheroates)

Posted by: @b563052622
iShot2021 02 22 14.02.36

Ah, that's only 1440p (2K resolution, but ultrawide) at 144hz, which hasn't been a problem usually, it was just hidden by default in System Preferences. 4K resolution would be at least 3840 x 2160. Ultrawide 4K is not a real thing just yet.

Looks like the bug is still out there for those of us with 4K monitors and wanting 144hz, sadly.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
刘子琦
(@b563052622)

@fatheroates, I know it's not the FULL 4K resolution. But,  Apple is clearly solving this problem.  Before 11.3 b2, My mac can only reconize 2560*1080 60hz without hdr. Now I m using macbook pro 16' 5500m via TYPE-C TO DP1.4 cable(directly without a dock or eGPU) to a Ultrawide display at 10bit 144hz HDR.

Accordingly 4k is supposed to  be working well.   I think you can actually give a try after backing up your mac with timemachine.

ReplyQuote
fatheroates
(@fatheroates)

Well we won't know for certain until it's actually fixed 😉

The problem you had was just settings not showing up since 2K at 144Hz doesn't need to use DSC, it can just use normal DSP 1.4. 

4K at 144hz however needs DSC and that's what the problem is on Big Sur <11.1. Apple enabled settings to show up, but they could have been activated using an app like EasyRes or something before. But so far they haven't fixed DSC, so there's nothing us with 4K monitor wanting 144Hz can do

ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Supposedly this is fixed by 11.3

2018 15" MBP w/ Radeon Pro 560x
Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W at 4k
macOS Mojave, Bootcamp Windows 10

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 // PERST# delay use may apply to other MacBooks [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Red_Epicness
(@red_epicness)

I am on the latest beta 3 at the moment and I am still seeing the issue, I will try different combinations of rebooting all devices but I have tried some and it has not yet picked up 4K 144Hz mode...

ReplyQuote
fatheroates
(@fatheroates)

Posted by: @tsh3721

Just curious, but where are you hearing this from?

ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @fatheroates
Posted by: @tsh3721

Just curious, but where are you hearing this from?

MacRumors has a megathread about this issue

2018 15" MBP w/ Radeon Pro 560x
Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W at 4k
macOS Mojave, Bootcamp Windows 10

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 // PERST# delay use may apply to other MacBooks [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  7