Setup & Software Discussions
5700XT + 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro - Issue waking up from sleep (Catalina 10.15.1...

5700XT + 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro - Issue waking up from sleep (Catalina 10.15.1)  

RSS

kizmiaz
(@kizmiaz)

Hey guys,

I recently got myself a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT so i could finally upgrade to macOS Catalina (I was previously on High Sierra as I had an Nvidia 1080Ti). The setup was super easy and the 5700XT eGPU was basically plug and play. 

However, I started noticing that when I wake my MacBook from sleep, all my screens remain black but simply start flickering (almost like an infinite cycle of connecting and disconnecting all my displays). None of my displays show the login screen (to log back in after waking up from sleep).

FYI I have 3 external monitors attached to my 5700 XT and my eGPU is connected to the top-left thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro.

My only solution at the moment:

Disconnecting the eGPU thunderbolt cable from my mac suspends the flickering and allows my MacBook to finally awake from sleep and show the login screen on my MacBook Pro's display. Reconnecting the eGPU after logging in results in all my screens working fine again. This is obviously quite inconvenient, as it also rearranges all my windows (and I usually have quite a few open as I'm a software developer).

I just cannot seem to wake my laptop on from sleep with the eGPU connected.

Does anyone else have this issue? Could it be possible to troubleshoot myself or is this an Apple/AMD problem?

Thanks in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

What type of cables are you using for the external monitor from the eGPU?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kizmiaz

Are you using clamshell mode? There is a bug with Navi eGPUs that I noticed when system is sleeping in clamshell mode - when there's a new notification, external display lights up to show said notification (normal), but does not go back to sleep (stays pitch black, but on with mouse present).

Some troubleshooting steps could be to try resetting NVRAM and SMC, check cable as recommended above, but it sounds like a driver issue (which Apple should clean up - not sure what they are up to in their spaceship these days).

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

Can confirm I have the same bug with 5700 XT Anniversary Edition over DisplayPort.

Immediately after you experience this bug can you please send a bug report using Feedback Assistant (find it with Spotlight) and email public-outreach@apple.com about it.

MacBook Pro 16" 2019, Radeon 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition, Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
waubers
(@waubers)

I have a Gigabyte 5700 XT in a Razer Core X that does the exact same thing.  Trying out disabling turning off displays to see if that prevents the issue.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Can confirm that this happened with my setup as well. Still an issue as of macOS 10.15.2 Beta 2.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
(@megaseppl)

I'm using a Mac mini 2018 with 5700 XT in Razer Core X. Always when I try to use sleep, the Mac crashes and restarts. 
It worked (as far as I remember, have only tested once) when there was a screen on the Mac itself, but now (all three screens are connected to the egpu via DP) the Mac tries to sleep, after ~20 seconds the eGPU fans spins loudly and the Mac restarts.

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
(@topher)

@megaseppl

I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro.  The problem is Catalina, I believe.  The crashing after sleep only happened when I upgraded to Catalina for the sole reason that it supported the 5700 XT.   On Mojave, I used an AMD 580 with the Razer Core X and never once had the problem.  Catalina, unfortunately, is a buggy mess.  I would suggest downgrading to Mojave but then your 5700 XT would no longer work. At least, it didn't for me.  Really sucks.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Lenovo Yoga C940 | Razer Core X | AMD Radeon 5700 XT

ReplyQuote