5700XT + 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro - Issue waking up from sleep (Catalina 10.15.1...

Notifications
Clear all

5700XT + 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro - Issue waking up from sleep (Catalina 10.15.1)  

of  2
  RSS

_luca_la
(@_luca_la)

I have the same issue with this current setup:

I've got this annoying problem on the windows bootcamp as well as on the macOS catalina.

Hope this will be solved soon 🙂 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Spiderpubes
(@spiderpubes)

Sorry to bring this thread back up, I'm running 10.15.4 with a 5700XT in a Core X Chroma, when I try and wake my macbook from sleep with an external keyboard my external monitor won't turn display an image unless I reopen my macbook from clamshell mode and then reclose it. Any solutions? 

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
corb555
(@corb555)

Same problem - if system sleeps while GPU is connected, it hangs.

Radeon Pro W5700

Catalina - 10.15.4

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RP W5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Titan) + macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Shin Greer
(@shin_greer)

Similar issues with W5700 connected to iMac Pro. I’m also using it to connect my Pro Display XDR in full resolution by utilizing DSC.

macOS: 10.15.4

Enclosure: Akitio Node Pro

I’m experiencing the following issues:

1. Cannot login for the first time after boot if the eGPU is plugged. The system will freeze.

2. Cannot wake up from sleep if the eGPU is plugged. The screen remains black.

Very annoying. Hope this could be fixed soon.

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tedseo1216
(@tedseo1216)

Same issue with my setup, though it's quite random. The crash doesn't happen every time. The enclosure provides more than sufficient power so no issue should be there.

Shutting down when not in use is the best option for now and leave the sleep mode=never, until a fix is available for this annoyance. 

Hardware: MacPro 13 2016

MacOS: 10.15.5 Latest Catalina

eGPU: Sapphire Nitro 5700XT

Enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
c2F4ezMrr
(@c2f4ezmrr)

CHipping in to say this is also a problem with me

• egpu enclosure : Razer Chroma X Core
  • laptop : macbook pro 16' 2019, 10.15.5 Latest Catalina
  • GPU : XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc III
  • all three monitors (dell u2412m 2x, 27UL550-W) are connected to my eGPU.
  • egpu is connected to thunderbolt on the right hand side of macbook pro

Seems like leaving it idle/sleep causes the Macbook pro to crash. Every morning whenever I get on my laptop, I noticed how moving my mouse doesn't power up the monitors and I have to re-open my laptop (where I noticed it is powered off) and power it back on.

However, there's also the problem with the eGPU and Macbook Pro where if you power it on while the eGPU is connected, there's no signal to the external monitors. So I have to make sure to disconnect the thunderbolt cable, power up my mac, reconnect the power cable, and then close my monitor.

It's quite the workflow just to get the day started :/

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
patrick81
(@patrick81)

Similar in here. Problems of sleeping and awake & black screen booting death

Mac Os should be renamed as buggy os Gape  

ReplyQuote
obiit
(@obiit)

I tried Catalina for a short time but the sleep issues (amongst others) made me revert back to Mojave.  The strange thing is i still get odd sleep issues that i didn't get before i upgraded to Catalina.

This makes me think that it's an EFI issue rather than an OS issue.  Or it could be just me 😛 

Macbook Air 2018 8/250 with Razer Core X / Sapphire Pulse RX580 4GB and too many adapters 😀

ReplyQuote
c2F4ezMrr
(@c2f4ezmrr)

temporary workaround for me at the moment is to go to settings, energy saver -> disable automatic graphics switching and check "prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off" in power adapter.

however, still experiencing issues where if i restart my MBP that if i have the egpu connected it won't start/boot up and requires me to unplug it, boot up the laptop and then connect it after logging in.

this is most definitely an UEFI security issue done on a low level on MBP and likely by design, but it's not very practical and I think Apple is going a bit too far in terms of security at the expense of user experience...

ReplyQuote
Radek Vaclavik
(@radek_vaclavik)

Same issue here.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019), Catalina 10.15.6

Sonnet 550

Radeon Saphire 580 4GB.

Not possible to restart or wake MacBook without stuck on boot screen. 🙁 

ReplyQuote
 of  2