resorte
(@resorte)

Hi all,

I have :

Mac Mini 2018 

3.2 GHZ i7 6-core

64 GB Ram

Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt (Audio card)

eGPU:

Powercolor AMD Radeon 5700XT

Razer Core X

When the eGPU is connected, I am experiencing audio pops & crackles while using Ableton.  When it's not connected, everything runs fine.  

If you google, Ableton & 5700XT, you'll find many other clueless users who can't figure out where the crackles are coming from who are both on PC and Mac, so I think the issue really lies with 5700XT and Ableton. 

In a couple cases, PC users were able to change PCIE in their BIOS from Gen4 to Gen3 and reportedly stop the crackles, but aside from that I could not find anyone who had a solution.

I'm posting this to see if there are any other ideas.  And to ask if there is a way I can switch my PCI slot from Gen4 to Gen3 on the Razer Core X hooked up to a Mac, so I can try that solution as well?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
m4st3rb4ss3r
(@m4st3rb4ss3r)

I have the almost exact same system as you, except a couple different audio interfaces, and I have the Core X Chroma. I just set my eGPU up a few days ago. I have mostly all DAWs because I need them for my job, but I'd consider Ableton my secondary (or maybe 3rd) DAW that I actually use for my own stuff.

I'm curious if you're using Ableton with the eGPU prefered, or if it's running of of your UHD 630. I haven't done anything super heavy in Ableton yet with my eGPU, so I'll have to try it out.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
m4st3rb4ss3r
(@m4st3rb4ss3r)

Also, is it like CPU crackles, or does it sound like it's on the analog side? Make make sure that your interface and eGPU are on the same circuit. If you're using the interface via Bus power, make sure that your Mac Mini, and the eGPU are on the same circuit.

ReplyQuote
jay_phoenix
(@jay_phoenix)

I have the EXACT same issue. Im using a Thunderbolt audio card and it doesn't matter which daw I choose it get serious artifacts in the audio. This is a dealbreaker for me so my ogpu is collecting dust. Great use of 1000 Bones

ReplyQuote
Alec Lazore
(@alec_lazore)

@resorte

Hi. I wanted to share something with you quickly. If your display (screen) settings on your pc or mac are set to "automatic" or "sunset to sunrise", or any kind of night-mode, turn this option off, and it will increase your computers CPU power by at least 10 percent. Hope this is relevant to your situation, good luck. 

ReplyQuote