MacBook pro 13" 2015 + Razer Core, USB?

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook pro 13" 2015 + Razer Core, USB?  

RSS

mzeb
 mzeb
(@mzeb)

I've got my razer core working with my MBP 13" 2015 using a TB2-TB3 adapter. If I plug in the egpu at *exactly* the right time during boot things work (if I have it plugged in when I power on the machine it hangs before the boot chime). Under OS X I have full function but under windows the USB ports do not work. Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks.

2017 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Froast
(@froast)

I have the same Mac but a different eGPU. Booting up is definitely a problem that most people have with this model and there is a discussion about it here. On boot camp everything works fine if I can get it booted up correctly. I will note that once in a while when I boot into windows something with the eGPU messes up the entire OS. Earlier today when I booted up all the adapters including network and audio were disconnected for some reason, presumably due to some weird things with available resources.

First thing I heard is not to boot with the external monitor plugged in. I also have the boot problems but the most reliable way for me to get the eGPU detected correctly on windows (this should always be found when the graphics card in device manager shows something along the lines of "The device is working properly") is to plug in the cord after the blue windows logo shows up but before the loading spinner appears. You have to do this a lot and get the rhythm of the timing. Even now it can take me 2-4 reboots before I finally get the eGPU connected.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member

2015 model MacBook can be most succesfull boot with this procedure (osx, macos)

1. Connect your egpu to the MacBook with power off

2. Press option key (alt) while pressing the power button, keep it pressed in till the boot selection screen appears

3. Wait till the searching for wifi-networks is finished

4. Power on your external egpu

5. Count to three and select macos/osx and press enter

For windows 10 first three steps are the same

4. Select Windows efi boot and press enter

5. Wait till the spinning wheel has been going round for 2,3 times and power om your egpu.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote