Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 13" mid 2018 (i5 4 core) 512gb 10.14.1 + sonnet 550 + rx 580 8gb (pr...

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2018 (i5 4 core) 512gb 10.14.1 + sonnet 550 + rx 580 8gb (probably gigabyte)  

RSS

Odine
(@odine)

Hello, after been reading the forum for so much I decided to build this setup.

MacBook Pro 13" 2018 4 cores i5, 8gb ram, 512 SSD, 10.14.1 macOS version.
Sonnet 550
RX 580 Gigabyte 8GB
Monitor: LG 27MP59G-P

EDIT: Yesterday 21 november i received Sonnet 550, so i was working on this, what i did was:

- MacOS instantly plug&play, you can connect the BOX even when MacOS is running, it auto detect and works without any problem, on both external or internal monitor, you can even disconnect it when MacOS is on, you can do what you want, i think i have no more things to say about MacOS at the moment, can't test much apps anyways.

- Windows is a bit harder to make it work, is not plug&play. What i first did was connect the BOX once windows was on, then, windows detect the thunderbolt 3 and he knew that was a radeon 580, but can't use it, he just detected without posibility of using it. So i decided to download drivers, installed them, but the problem persist. I was using internal monitor, so i decided to connect an hdmi to my external monitor.
The way that i can make this work with windows and EXTERNAL monitor is really simple: Having BOX connected to TB3 just turn on the Macbook, choose windows bootcamp; internal display just show windows logo, without doing another thing, like if it was unable tu load windows, BUT, in external monitor windows is fully loaded, and radeon 580 is fully working, I tried dark souls 3 and more things and works totally well.

So i decided to make it work with internal display, but sometimes works and sometimes dont, randomly.

What I observed is that it mainly work just when i was using the external monitor as i explained before, with the windows logo on internal display. When i just restart, after been using that way, if i connect TB3 when windows is starting and circles appear, it works with internal display. But if after that i restart and try to do it again, it doesnt work, just can't use 580 even when windows detect it but is not capable to use it.

Sorry about my english level, i hope you can understand, if someone have a solution to make it work with internal display, post here.

Thanks you guys!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Odine
(@odine)

Update: Gigabyte RX 580 8gb buyed, waiting for them all to arrive, I will be updating the post.

Any tips will be welcomed, something like what to do exactly for update rx 580 drivers, how to plug cables, and so.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)

Looking forward for your updates due to the same reason, no such builds recorded so far.
Only difference is the eGPU case.

Waiting for my gear to arrive:

Laptop:           MBP 13" Mid-2018 TouchBar i5 4 core, 16 gb / 1 tb
OS(s):              Mojave + Bootcamp Win 10
Monitor:         Samsung CJ791 (TB3)
eGPU case:    Razer Core X
eGPU card:    RX Vega 64

*** Edit: Decided to upgrade to Vega 64 instead of RX 580

ReplyQuote
Benjamin Bohm
(@ironbreed)

Also interested in the results, as I was about to buy the same Setup 🙂

Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with RX580 or Vega 56/64.

Due to personal preferences I would prefer an AMD over a NVIDIA card, although I mostly want to use it in Bootcamp

Macbook Pro 13" i5/16/512 - Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Nintendo Switch - Sony KD55X8505 - Denon AVR-X1300W - Wharfedale Crystal 3 - Klipsch R-115SW
iPhone X 64GB Space Grey / iPhone X 64GB Silver - iPad Pro 128GB LTE - Apple Watch Series 2 - Synology DS218+ - Xbox Live ID: Iron Breed PSN - ID: IronBreed

ReplyQuote
eddybear
(@eddybear)

have you tried editing 4k videos via fcpx? how about 4k h.265 files? what brand do you have?

need advise. I have the same MacBook as TS. 
at the moment, there is a shop here with tons of used MSI RX 580 8gb gaming edition (they have like 30+ cards remaining) used for 3month mining. Priced at 500AED (130USD)

and the only Vega 64 available is ASUS strix priced at 710USD (converted)

I'm really in the middle of either buying a used RX 580 or Vega 64 Asus. 
I searched in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for brands like Sapphire, power color, or even MSI Vega but no luck. All out of stock due to miners as per the shops.

ReplyQuote
Odine
(@odine)

Updated main post after receive Sonnet and be working on this.

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)

Thanks for the update!

So if I understood correctly all you did for Win Bootcamp setup was installing the drivers and then you can use it on the external monitor?
Which Windows 10 build did you use? (Some have reported problems with the October build, latest apparently?)
When you close the lid does it shut down the internal monitor completely and Windows continues running on the external monitor?

Why not using it only on external monitor?
It is better anyways to use an eGPU with external monitor so it will not use any bandwidth from the MBP <--TB3--> SONNET connection, i.e. only one way data traffic towards monitor -> better performance.
Hook up keyboard, mouse and close the lid. Internal monitor problems -> out of sight, out of mind?  😉 

I'd say that's 99% plug and play already.

ReplyQuote