MacBook Pro 15 2016 with HP Omen and RX 560 - no eGPU stuff happens

MacBook Pro 15 2016 with HP Omen and RX 560 - no eGPU stuff happens  

RSS

Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

Hey,

so today I finally received my HP Omen Accelerator and was excited about trying it out, despite the very short cable I have to come by somehow soon.

However, once I plug in the Thunderbolt cable, I hear the "ding" sound and the Macbooks starts charging, LEDs are shining. I do not receive the information that an eGPU has been found and that I need to log out and in to use it, just nothing happens any further.

The "About" dialog only shows the Radeon Pro 450 2 GB and Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB but not the RX 560. I'm on macOS 10.13.3, freshly updated before trying it out.

Systeminformation however shows the card but only as AMD R9 xxx, see the following picture:

Bildschirmfoto 2018 02 03 um 17.53.54

I thought the RX 560 was supported already so what's the matter? I'm connecting on the right sides upper port due to the short cable and space I have available but it didn't work on the left side upper port either.

Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@morv I think RX560 support was added in the public beta of 10.13.4

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

Urgh, f*** me then.  I sold my RX 550 to buy an RX 560 because I thought the latter was already supported. If I had known the RX 550 gets support in 10.13.4 I would have waited for it anyway but at this point I didn't and now I bought another card I can't use as of yet.

Awesome 😀

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@morv Well, public beta is very stable for me, so you can take the chance to upgrade to it. Plus you have better GPU now, so that should be good thing no? Also, I don't know where you read that RX550 gets support in 10.13.4 but some people said that it doesn't.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
punk.kaos
(@punk-kaos)

You just need automate-egpu.kext ( https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/app-automate-egpu-by-goalque/)

That will activate the 560 in 10.13.3

ReplyQuote
Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

@juan_c_yunis It was stated on this page  https://egpu.io/external-gpu-macos-10-13-4-update/  when it was published. Meanwhile it seems to have been updated and it's no longer on the list. Public beta may be stable but the Macbook is from and for work so I'm not going to install explicit beta updates. I can take it home and use it so the plan is to have a second account with an external storage , probably inside the Omen, for home stuff.

@punk-kaos Disabling SIP probably won't happen because of the mentioned reason. I'll just have to wait then 🙂

punk.kaos liked
ReplyQuote
phoenixofsun
(@phoenixofsun)

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm in the same boat but I am currently running 10.13.4. But, still nothing happens with the RX 560 in the HP Omen. It's really odd. My MacBook detects the HP Omen and connects with all the peripherals (LAN, USB's, etc.) but not the graphics card.

MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2016) + HP Omen Accelerator + RX 560

ReplyQuote
Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member

@phoenixofsun: Yes and no. The problem is that even now with 10.13.4 the supported cards start with the 570, that's for the no. Yes, when you use the script provided over here ->  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/app-automate-egpu-by-goalque/ . Had the 560(I think, maybe it was the 550 I had before) running on 10.13.3 without problems then. Only negative aspect was that I had to disable SIP and the Macbook was my working device. The SSD of the Macbook died shortly after that and after getting it back I didn't bother to check this again. I don't want to disable SIP anyway and don't know if you still have to, I'm not up to date anymore.

ReplyQuote
phoenixofsun
(@phoenixofsun)

@morv: I gotcha. Yeah I couldn't get the 560 working with the egpu. The weird thing is, the RX 560 does work in my Mac Pro 5,1 running 10.13.4. So there must be some support for the 560 in 10.13.4 its just locked out by model maybe? I don't know. I returned the 560 and got the 580, now it works perfectly. Thanks for responding, Morv.

MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2016) + HP Omen Accelerator + RX 560

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

To get MacOS High Sierra to detect the AMD Radeon eGPU ensure that:

If not using an external monitor: Use a headless HDMI or DP display emulator (i.e. headless ghost) attached to the eGPU card. 

If using an external monitor: Directly connect the external monitor to the eGPU card HDMI or DP port

ReplyQuote