MacBook Pro 15“ Retina mid 2015 with Iris Pro only + Nvidia Quadro P2000 (Pascal...

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 15“ Retina mid 2015 with Iris Pro only + Nvidia Quadro P2000 (Pascal) - Need Help  

RSS

vakuum
(@vakuum)

Hello community, 

This is my first post. I am from Germany and my name is Leinad. I have a Macbook pro 15 Retina mid 2015 with Iris Pro graphics only. I bought a OWC Mercury Helios TB2 Case with a Nvidia Quadro P2000 graphics card. The OWC box ist the same as the Akitio Thunder2 but with a 120w psu. The P2000 GPU is based on Pascal architecture.

My problem is that I can t use the P2000. In the picture below you can see that the driver detected the GPU, but it is not active. When I run Heaven benchmark only the Intel GPU is working. What I have to do that I get the Nvidia working?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,

Bildschirmfoto 2017 04 28 um 23.29.18
IMG 0597

EDIT: I forget to say, that I need only the external display.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I clarified the instructions, did you remember the step 6?

Set the eGPU display/ghost display as the primary (at 0:22 in the video):

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

ReplyQuote
vakuum
(@vakuum)

Oh thanks a lot!!! Now it works. So easy when you know where is the problem. 

For everybody who read this and want to decide for a Nvidia P2000 to build in an OWC Mercury Helios or Akitio Thunder2/3 Box, it is very tricky to put in the card. You can do it but be carefully.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
vakuum
(@vakuum)

For information: at the moment 10 bit support is not given in Mac OS. Maybe a driver in future will bring this feature. I think the P2000 is the most powerful graphics card without external power.

ReplyQuote
vakuum
(@vakuum)

I have a question. Is it a driver issue or os issue: I cannot reach 10 Bit color option. Normally quadro cards support it. My external monitor has a 10bit panel. 

ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

Posted by: vakuum

I have a question. Is it a driver issue or os issue: I cannot reach 10 Bit color option. Normally quadro cards support it. My external monitor has a 10bit panel. 

Have you changed the color from millions to billions? Strange thing in you're profiler is that it shows the panel as 32bit (8bit).

I've got EA244UHD and I'm looking for Quadro or FirePro implementation because of the 10bit stuff & better OpenCL performance in Capture One 

EDIT: what OS X version do you use? As far as I know 10bit was enabled on El Capitan - I use Sierra and my 24" NEC is listed as 10bit panel

mid 2014 MBP 15" GT750m | Mac mini 2012 | Akitio Thunder 2 & 3 | GTX 780 3GB (flashed) | GTX Black Titan 6GB (stock) | Quadro P2000 (stock)

ReplyQuote
moz83
(@moz83)

Hey vakuum, how you doing mate??

I'm trying to run the p2000 on my 2017 macbook pro with touch bar. I have tried every instructional possible and i can't even get then driver to be detected by the MB. Could you give any advice or some king of walkthrough as to what you did? 

ReplyQuote