Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 2016 High Sierra GM + Mantiz Venu + AMD RX Vega 64. Bad single-preci...

MacBook Pro 2016 High Sierra GM + Mantiz Venu + AMD RX Vega 64. Bad single-precision performance???  

RSS

Shinra
(@shinra)

Hi everyone,

I just got my RX Vega today and I am trying put it into my Mantiz Venu

Why vega? I am using GTX 1080 Ti before but the web driver is not stable, I got many screen frozen and it is not offical support. So I got this RX Vega and update to the high sierra GM.

In macOS, it is hot plug and tell me log out to use egpu. Everything is quite easy and no problem.

The I go to automate-eGPU and run -clpeak to check the performance.

The Vega is only around 4.7 tflops ??? I think AMD post out it is 13.7 tflops??

I am not sure this is the driver problem or the clpeak problem or other.

Does anyone has some idea about it?

Thanks.

2016 15" MacBook Pro 2016 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + MacOs 10.13.2 beta // using 600W PSU

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Apple does not officially support Vega yet; I am really not sure what is driver loading for Vega on MacOS...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The drivers for RX Vega in macOS is no where ready. In Windows 10, using an RX Vega 56 eGPU yields this estimated performance.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

I got nothing but freezing and unfreezing of the system... But I was running High Sierra off a SSD inside the Mantiz... I'll try High Sierra in the MBP come the 25th.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Shinra
(@shinra)

Posted by: itsage

The drivers for RX Vega in macOS is no where ready. In Windows 10, using an RX Vega 56 eGPU yields this estimated performance.

In bootcamp the Vega is full performance and 100% stable, I think this the driver problem, hope Apple will solve this problem in the final version of High Sierra 

2016 15" MacBook Pro 2016 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + MacOs 10.13.2 beta // using 600W PSU

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

RX 580 is fully supported RX Vega is not, many issues (AA, Audio, slow). Just need some time sure not ready for High Sierra release

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

Yeah, I returned the 56 & 64 and got the RX 580... I'll give that a go on the 25th when High Sierra gets released. Hopefully those drivers come soon for the 64!

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

One thing I've noticed under the 56 and 64 is that my LG 38UC99 was only getting 60Hz via DVI... But via the Thunderbolt cable I was able to get 75Hz... Why?

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

DVI cannot output more than 60Hz - Displayport, the protocol which is also embedded into Thunderbolt can.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

I’m really hoping that tomorrow release will have some Vega drivers change 😅

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

Does anyone know how to get this 38UC99 to 75hz with the eGPU? I could run 75 with a Thunderbolt directly from the MBP, but not any longer with DisplayPort from the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: ikir

I’m really hoping that tomorrow release will have some Vega drivers change 😅

Today 10.13.2 have Vega stable drivers, with few issues like “fan speed”

ReplyQuote