Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 2016 with Touchbar - Akitio Node Update fails

MacBook Pro 2016 with Touchbar - Akitio Node Update fails  

RSS

Cassius1976
(@cassius1976)

Hello everyone,

please excuse my English, I am from Germany 🙂

I got me an Akitio Node for my MacBook 15" with TouchBar. So far, it worked out of the Box in Bootcamp, I had to use no scripts and never gor Error 12. I was ready for some Windows 10 trouble, after I read everything here in the forums, but for me, everthing worked fine right away. I am using special Bootcamp AMD drivers for the Radeon 450 Pro, perhaps that helped...

Nevertheless, nothing is ever perfect and so I got my share of issues as well 🙁

I tried to update the firmware of the Akitio Node in Bootcamp and installed the Thunderbolt Drivers by Intel as well (there are only Windows 8 ones?). With or without those drivers it is not possible to update the Node. In both cases the update tool aborts with an error message. Is there any trick to get the update done? I am using Windows 10 Creators Update. I hope, somebody has some advice. Thanks in Advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Here’s the 2016 MBP + Node firmware upgrade guide courtesy of @benip2140 https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-node-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure/paged/6/#post-6718

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: nando4

Here's the 2016 MBP + Node firmware upgrade guide courtesy of @benip2140 https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-node-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure/paged/6/#post-6718

Hi guys, please note that I tried this on the late 2016 MBP TB 13" and something quite interesting has now happened: I installed the ThunderBolt drivers as per the post above, it didn't complain. However I still can't update the Node firmware, it says that no Node is connected and suggests installed ThunderBolt drivers. However the eGPU is plugged in and working. Getting to the interesting bit... my external screen connected to the eGPU no longer works, i.e. it doesn't display anything. However the eGPU is accelerating the internal display of the MBP TB. I can't explain how/why, nor can I figure out how to get the external display working. I'm not using anything funky to ghost a display or anything like that.

Strange...

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
benip2140
(@benip2140)

Posted by: DANgerous25

Posted by: nando4

Here's the 2016 MBP + Node firmware upgrade guide courtesy of @benip2140 https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-node-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure/paged/6/#post-6718

Hi guys, please note that I tried this on the late 2016 MBP TB 13" and something quite interesting has now happened: I installed the ThunderBolt drivers as per the post above, it didn't complain. However I still can't update the Node firmware, it says that no Node is connected and suggests installed ThunderBolt drivers. However the eGPU is plugged in and working. Getting to the interesting bit... my external screen connected to the eGPU no longer works, i.e. it doesn't display anything. However the eGPU is accelerating the internal display of the MBP TB. I can't explain how/why, nor can I figure out how to get the external display working. I'm not using anything funky to ghost a display or anything like that.

Strange...

Have you tried my way without a graphic card installed in the node?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member

I had the same, try to hot plug and indeed without graphics card. On my 15 inch 2016 amd 455 with touchbar that did the trick

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: benip2140

Have you tried my way without a graphic card installed in the node?  

Actually no I didn't try it without the graphics card. I will do so. Thank you.

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Is there any way to update the FW when the host mac is TB2 (and Node used with TB2-TB3 adapter). That is with a late 2013 macbook pro using bootcamp. Or do I need to find someone with TB3 controller (and windows) so I can update the FW?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The only way to upgrade the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure’s firmware is through Windows 10 with a Thunderbolt 3 host.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

The only way to upgrade the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure's firmware is through Windows 10 with a Thunderbolt 3 host.

With no graphical card inside and to install the intel thunderbolt software for the nuc6i7

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I’ve flashed the AKiTiO Node‘s firmware on 3 different occasions with the GPU attached. It’s possible this is a new workaround with the latest firmware.

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Alright, thanks @itsage. Still waiting for my Node, will post some Matlab FLOPS results pre and post FW update. With the new beta Pascal web drivers for mac by then (hopefully).

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Definitely let us know how Matlab FLOPS work with your eGPU build. We need a lot more reporting on pro application eGPU usage.

ReplyQuote
Cassius1976
(@cassius1976)

Hey everyone,

thanks for your replies. I haven't tried the update without the graphics card. I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice!

ReplyQuote
Mgear1981
(@mgear1981)
Eminent Member

What also can help is to plug in and out the akitio from the macbook of the firmware updater says that the node aint connected or cannot be found.

ReplyQuote
jcurri
(@jcurri)

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the Node's firmware with a TB2 - 3 adapter on a 2015 MBP running boot camp? Or does it require a native TB3 port on the MBP?

MacBook Pro 2015 15", Akitio Node Thunderbolt 3, Nvidia GTX 1060 5GB this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote