MacBook pro 2017 touchbar 15" | Akitio Node | 1070 | osx

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] MacBook pro 2017 touchbar 15" | Akitio Node | 1070 | osx  

RSS

Mark Stephenson
(@mark_stephenson)

Hi,

Really hoping that someone can help.  I have an Akitio Node/1070 pairing that was 'almost' working at one point but now seems to do nothing.

Following the instructions on using the automate-egpu script post I had the gpu listed in graphics section of device list, and it auto switched off the mac display showing only the external screen (which ran like a dog.. mouse took seconds to move across screen).

After some fiddling to try to improve things I've now got nothing.

The akitio shows up in OSX fine.  When I run the script it 'detects' the 1070 and installs the software... but then nothing after restart.

Ive tried the various hotplugging, logging in/out, restarting, war dance but i just cant get this card to show up anywhere now.

Anything I should be trying?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Are you on High sierra or sierra? The instructions are different.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mark Stephenson
(@mark_stephenson)

Should have said, sorry. 

High Siera (its the default on the recovery So can't easily downgrade either)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

the automate-egpu script ( https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU) doesn't work on High Sierra. Use this instead:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/1

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mark Stephenson
(@mark_stephenson)

I think I might love you.

I THINK this means it has worked?  Its not showing in the 'About this Mac' screen.  But the full card is listed in Graphics/Displays

https://imgur.com/a/IQev1

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

For some people it only works if you boot without eGPU, log in on MacOS, log out, connect egpu and login again. FOr others you can boot on first time with eGPU connected and it will work. Great to hear that I could help 😀 

Btw, looks like its working but you need an external monitor to have it working. If you want it to work on the macbook screen, the process is a bit different but I personally don't know exactly. Just search for this info here.

ReplyQuote
Mark Stephenson
(@mark_stephenson)

I have an external monitor connected to the Akitio Node and the node to the Macbook.  I've been logging in, inserting the TB3 cable, then logging out and in.  This seems to get me to the point in the other thread where the card is named and recognised.

Now I need to try and figure out how to get anything to USE the thing.  I've tried downloading Heaven benchmark but im sure its using the inbuild AMD card (the NVIDIA doesnt spin).

I'm not actually too concerned with graphics app (other than to prove it works), i need to get tensorflow working using the GPU.  Its taking WEEKS to train models that I could train in hours 🙁

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Mark, ths GPU not spinning doesn't mean anything. I had the same assumption lol, but the GPU only spins the fans when on high load. If you're seeing the image on the external display and you're sure its connected to your eGPU, congratz your GPU is working 😀 To prove it, you can run Heaven benchmark without the eGPU, check the scores, then run it with GPU. 

I believe you also have to set your external display as main 

ReplyQuote
Mark Stephenson
(@mark_stephenson)

Thanks Smile

That little primary window change has resulted in my Mac showing the NVIDIA in the About this Mac pane too Smile

Now the next step is getting Cuda / CUDnn working.

ReplyQuote