Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 2018 : eGPU slower then internal hardware?

MacBook Pro 2018 : eGPU slower then internal hardware?  

RSS

tjeerdkramer
(@tjeerdkramer)

I am using the following setup:

LG UltraFine 5K‑display
Blackmagic eGPU Thunderbolt 3 RX580 (Active 1,5m TB3 cable to screen, Passive 0,5m cable to Macbook)
MacBook pro 2018 i9 (Intel UHD Graphics 630 + AMD Radeon Pro 560X).

While I am positive that the eGPU speeds up certain applications, it seems as if when I connect the eGPU,  browsing (Chrome, visiting a multitude of websites/online applications) is slightly less "snappy" then without.

Is there anyone who can confirm this, or point me in the right direction? I have no idea what's causing this...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)

Personally I would call the Genius Bar, since all of your gear is officially supported by Apple.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tjeerdkramer
(@tjeerdkramer)

Yeah that might be an idea...

ReplyQuote
tjeerdkramer
(@tjeerdkramer)

I just ran another test, and it looks like Chrome is the issue. 

farfetch egpu

ReplyQuote
LatestDays
(@latestdays)

Posted by: tjeerdkramer

I just ran another test, and it looks like Chrome is the issue. 

farfetch egpu

I see similar gpu activity levels with a 2017 15” MBP, 4k displays, and a Sonnet550 w/rx580 when watching videos (YouTube, Twitch, etc) with Chrome/Safari.

Chrome will use all/most of the egpu time for even a small video, whilst Safari barely sips cycles.

2080 TI in Sonnet Breakaway 550, with Silverstone SX700 replacement power supply and Noctua NF-A12x25, running on ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GM501. Also, MBP 15" 2017.

ReplyQuote