Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro freezes and then reboots after I plug in Gigabyte gaming box RX580

[Solved] MacBook Pro freezes and then reboots after I plug in Gigabyte gaming box RX580  

RSS

(@james_xu)

I am using a MBP 13' 2018, with macOS 10.14.5. My GPU is Gigabyte gaming box RX580. About 2 month ago, when I bought the eGPU, everything was fine: plug and play, without any problems. But now, when  I plug in the eGPU, rarely it would work properly. At most of the time my MBP would freeze and reboot. I don't know how to solve the problem. I would be grateful for any tips.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Disconnect the RX 580 Gaming Box from both Thunderbolt 3 cable and power cable. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes then reconnect. This is essentially a power reset on the enclosure.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@james_xu)

Doesn't work dude. Freeze, and then it reboots

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@drakez_kern)

Do an SMC reset, and make sure to enable SIP after, worked for me, on my TB2 mbp with the same eGPU

ReplyQuote
(@james_xu)

Thank you. I will try.

ReplyQuote
(@james_xu)

Posted by: Drakez Kern

Do an SMC reset, and make sure to enable SIP after, worked for me, on my TB2 mbp with the same eGPU

It really worked! Thank you!

ReplyQuote