MacBook Pro freezes and then reboots after I plug in Gigabyte gaming box RX580

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] MacBook Pro freezes and then reboots after I plug in Gigabyte gaming box RX580  

RSS

(@james_xu)

I am using a MBP 13' 2018, with macOS 10.14.5. My GPU is Gigabyte gaming box RX580. About 2 month ago, when I bought the eGPU, everything was fine: plug and play, without any problems. But now, when  I plug in the eGPU, rarely it would work properly. At most of the time my MBP would freeze and reboot. I don't know how to solve the problem. I would be grateful for any tips.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Disconnect the RX 580 Gaming Box from both Thunderbolt 3 cable and power cable. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes then reconnect. This is essentially a power reset on the enclosure.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@james_xu)

Doesn't work dude. Freeze, and then it reboots

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@drakez_kern)

Do an SMC reset, and make sure to enable SIP after, worked for me, on my TB2 mbp with the same eGPU

ReplyQuote
(@james_xu)

Thank you. I will try.

ReplyQuote
(@james_xu)

Posted by: Drakez Kern

Do an SMC reset, and make sure to enable SIP after, worked for me, on my TB2 mbp with the same eGPU

It really worked! Thank you!

ReplyQuote