MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) + GXT XXXX?

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) + GXT XXXX?  

of  2
  RSS

yoda
 yoda
(@yoda)

benslocum, I saw in another post ( https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/help-macbook-pro-late-2013-15-akitio-node-gtx980-ti-not-booting/) that you managed to get this working. I'm curious how much improvement you get when using your Adobe programs?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

These first couple weeks have been super busy and I have had the eGPU in place the whole time. I mention the busyness to point out that I have not yet take the time to document and test things while keeping other variables from affecting the results. But a couple initial tests showed much faster rendering on an after effects project that took 13 minutes to render on the built in graphics card was able to render in about 3 minutes with the 980 Ti.  Overall there have been fewer (maybe none) rendering/encodings fail coming out of premiere. And only once did I see the glitchy graphics that have plagued me over the past couple years. And that was when I also had the kid to the laptop open. The 750m might have been in play??  OpenGL interactions in after effects with Element 3D have been a REAL treat. The thing that I'm not super thrilled with is the speed of interacation/scrubbing in premiere. I don't know how much of that has to do with using "computationally complex" formats like MTS files from AVCHD footage, or if the CUDA cores are not being fully utilized, Or other factors. Based on the advice of the expert testimony above, I am picking up a GTX780 card tomorrow and will see how that compares. I will try to figure out what's what and post more when I know it. Any advice or recommended tests would be appreciated Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mop
 mop
(@mop)

@benslocum:

Hi there,
which eGPU did you buy ? I am not sure if I read it somewhere...

I am in exactly the same situation. I want to do After Effects and Premiere (even Photoshop if it is supported) with a high end nvidia/Cuda graphics card.
I have a rMBP2016 15" (fully spec'd) and I am thinking about the Akitio Node with a 980TI or even 1080 TI to crunch big after effects projects.

I am not interested in gaming - maybe a bit 3D rendering for After Effects and a stand alone 3D software.

Do you have more experiences now with render times ? Or perfomance jumps in other ways ?

all the best
Marc

ReplyQuote
 of  2