Setup & Software Discussions
Akitio Node Pro + AMD Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 (Saphire)

Akitio Node Pro + AMD Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 (Saphire)  

RSS

(@lucas_do_amaral_saboya)

Heya, how's it going everyone?

I'm having a weird issue running my setup in here:

When I plug in only the Akitio Node Pro (without the GPU in it), the laptop recognizes the e-gpu and passes though everything it has, power, daisy chains another dock's ports and it's great. When I plug in the e-gpu with that GPU in it, MacOS stops responding. The only thing I can do is move the mouse cursos around (and I witnessed that the GPU fans aren't spinning anymore, only when I plug it in. If I pull the cable (without stopping the GPU via MacOS cause everything is frozen), it'll panic and reboot.

What am I missing here?

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Is the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse new? If not, flash the vBIOS back to its original to make sure there's no compatibility issue.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote

Posted by: itsage

Is the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse new? If not, flash the vBIOS back to its original to make sure there's no compatibility issue.

Heya @itsage, how's it going?

Yeah, the GPU is brand new, I just got it from Amazon (that very same link I've posted before).

Do you happen to know where can I find more info on flashing it?

How to do it and which firmware and where I should get it?

Thanks for the response, btw!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@Lucas_do_amaral_saboya Those symptoms are identical to what I had on a defective RX480 (down to the pulling the cable and KP). Get a replacement.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

itsage liked
ReplyQuote

Posted by: mac_editor

@Lucas_do_amaral_saboya Those symptoms are identical to what I had on a defective RX480 (down to the pulling the cable and KP). Get a replacement.

Got in touch w/ Amazon customer service/support and got a new GPU shipped. Will update here when it gets here.

In that regard, is there ANYTHING that needs to be done when it arrives? Or is it really just plug & play?

ReplyQuote
its_dy1an
(@its_dy1an)

@Lucas_do_amaral_saboya Any update? Thx!

ReplyQuote

Got a replacement GPU and indeed, everything works like a charm:
https://imgur.com/a/KEgvvVE

Even Akitio's daisy chaining works out of the box!
https://imgur.com/a/LEs1Q3J

Thanks @mac_editor, you've saved me days of debug and headache!
and Thanks to Amazon pristine customer support.

mac_editor and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@Lucas_do_amaral_saboya What docking station did you use for daisy chaining? Have you noticed any reduced GPU performance when using the dock? 

ReplyQuote

Heya, @blerghcity, 

I'm using an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, here's an amazon link for it (but it seems to be out of stock): 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N51P3BB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a new version being sold, with a couple more ports in it: 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM3S5SJ/ref=twister_B07JLRS22F?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I haven't seen a performance drop while using it. In my set up, everything but the monitors are hooked up to this OWC dock: USB mic, 4K webcam, USB Keyboard, ethernet, a smaller 4port USB3 extending it to my desk  and Logictech's Unify Receiver for my mouse. Super happy with the outcome of this setup.

I don't game on this rig, so performance might be a little suboptimal for all I care. I could run a benchmark took if you'd like, just point me to it and I'll do it.

Cheers and thanks for all the feedback and support guys, you rock!

ReplyQuote