Akitio Node Pro + GTX 1080 + 3 4k Monitor  

RSS

(@spencer_hartmann)
February 18, 2018 12:34 am  

Im looking to use this as a docking solution rather than gaming.  Will I be able to use the 1 Thunderbolt 3 cable from the Akitio Node Pro to the MacBook Pro 15" to run 3 4k monitors with a GTX1080 in the node?

3x Monitor --> Display Port --> GTX1080 in the Node Pro --> Thunderbolt 3 --> Macbook Pro?

Then I plan on using the secondary thunderbolt 3 as a downstream for some extra usb/audio/network connections.

I think this should work, thoughts? I dont need this in anyway for gaming, just no good docks out on the market mostly because the controllers are split between each side of the mac.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
February 19, 2018 8:23 pm  

I don't see any limitation on the GPU side as far as being able to connect to and move pixels for 3x 4K displays, but as soon as you start chaining other devices off the other eGPU Thunderbolt 3 port you are sapping bandwidth from the GPU so potentially you could run into problems there. Not sure about the Node Pro's multi-display max capability, but I know Sonnet's Breakaway Box supports up to 5 displays on Mac OS so in theory there shouldn't be an eGPU limitation either.

Ultimately how stable a setup it is will depend on which OS version and drivers you're using IMO. Right now NVIDIA via macOS is still a zero support proposition from the Apple side, so you'll have to see if anyone around here has managed to get that setup working. Also pretty common with NVIDIA for stuff to work with one OS version then stop working with the next, so hit or miss.

You'll want to read through and monitor this thread closely, then if you find something that works, post your details there.
[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

2016-2018 Macs, Sonnet eGPUs, RX, WX, Vega AMD cards, GTX 1070 and RTX 2080, various 4K displays

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@spencer_hartmann)
February 21, 2018 2:35 pm  

Just a quick update it works perfectly almost haha...installed all the correct drivers and plug and play.  One or two minor issues were 

1. Laptop display is always running closing the lid does not turn of that monitor
2. Little jerky when doing browsing / word processing / email

However ran Heaven benchmark, turned all the settings as high as possible was getting a solid 100-120fps.  Im sure it will only get better as time passes.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
February 21, 2018 6:12 pm  

Cool. Those benchmarks are pretty impressive. Regarding the laggy office and web apps, did you have any of those downstream TB3 devices chained to the eGPU and running at the same time? Might be the cause there.

2016-2018 Macs, Sonnet eGPUs, RX, WX, Vega AMD cards, GTX 1070 and RTX 2080, various 4K displays

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
February 21, 2018 7:02 pm  

@spencer_hartmann: Disabling the internal display using DisableMonitor or SwitchResX (Paid) may improve performance. Additionally, disabling Displays Have Separate Spaces may help.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
(@spencer_hartmann)
February 22, 2018 4:16 am  

Thank you for the tips, unfortunately still seeing the lag in just general use.  I disconnected the CalDigit USB C Dock and disabled the monitor with DisableMonitor it helps a little bit but still hard to use. Any other thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

ReplyQuote
(@spencer_hartmann)
February 23, 2018 1:42 pm  

Got it setup correctly! Long story short had to use .104 drivers, the newer ones dont seem optimized.

100% Working
Nvidia Web Drivers .104
Nvidia Support Driver v7
3 4k Monitors
GTX1080 Founders Edition
Akitio Node Pro
CalDigit USB-Dock
2017 MBP 15"

No issues at all.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote