(@superslurt)
February 10, 2018 11:09 am  

Hi!

First, gear:
Akitio Node
AMD Pulse RX 560 OC
1440p AOC 27" screen connected with either HDMI or DP
15" MBP (late 2016) with 10.13.4 beta.

According to this article, the RX 560 is supposedly supported in 10.13.4. I have a Macbook Pro 15" late 2016 model.

My Akitio Node is connected to an external display. It get's recognized when I plug it in, and I get the tray icon that let's me eject it. The screen is also recognized properly, and the external display turns on and receives a signal. But the signal is black...

What can I do/test to make this work? 

I have tried the automate gpu script. Didn't make any differene, so I uninstalled it.

Screenshots:
https://ibb.co/eFhuLn
https://ibb.co/gBDemS
https://ibb.co/cayZLn

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
February 10, 2018 4:13 pm  

I'm experiencing this same black screen with external monitor too using the Breakaway Puck RX 560. It's beta software and these issues are expected. We will have to wait until the final 10.13.4 release unfortunately.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
February 11, 2018 4:10 pm  

Guys - whoever has developer account with Apple, please file a problem ticket to Apple.

ReplyQuote
(@tony_sajdak)
February 12, 2018 11:58 am  

Having the same problem, still no solution?
Did you try both DP and HDMI?

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
superslurt
(@superslurt)
February 12, 2018 1:13 pm  

Tony: Both results in a black screen.

ReplyQuote
myyra
(@myyra)
March 6, 2018 8:31 pm  

I have filed a bug report with Apple. I will keep this thread updated.

ReplyQuote
Vizhouz
(@vizhouz)
March 7, 2018 8:55 pm  

I had black screen problems too, with 3 external displays, while adding the third one. Found out that for some reason MacOs always activated mirror display mode and that it just doesn't work with my 3 different monitors and that's why they all go black. I fixed it by connecting them all and then after they go black pressing the shortcut to switch between mirror display on/off. Don't know if that's the case here too.

ReplyQuote
myyra
(@myyra)
March 9, 2018 10:16 am  

Response from Apple:

Engineering has determined that this issue behaves as intended.

Guess there will be no fix or my bug report was somehow lacking.

ReplyQuote
clarencews
(@clarencews)
March 13, 2018 4:54 am  

I have this same problem. I reverted back to 10.13.3 and it still had the same issue. Looks like whatever changes that were made to the beta were permanent.

ReplyQuote
ishaysiv
(@ishaysiv)
March 25, 2018 9:10 pm  

I had the same issue, Akitio node + RX 560 + 10.13.3
Rebooted, re-loggedin, retried a few times.
Installed automate GPU. nothing black external screen, while recognised GPU as R9.

Then, out of the blue, (reconnected firmly the thunderbolt? na) it started to work.
GPU is still recognised as R9 xxx and not RX 590.
Maybe I'll know more later.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
March 31, 2018 8:25 pm  

Guys, if Apple says "behaves as intended" - sell your RX560 and get RX570 or better. IMHO they should have told upfront what they are planning to support so people don't invest GPUs which are not going to be supported. But who am I to judge?

On a positive side, AMD GPUs seems to be in stock. I just checked Newegg, RX570 starts from $340; for $420 you can get RX580 with 8GB video memory.

ReplyQuote
myyra
(@myyra)
April 3, 2018 8:45 am  

Apple details eGPU support in macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra, notes no Nvidia support

appleinsider says that they dropped support for RX560 during the beta. Bought a 580 myself since they have them in stock now.

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member
April 3, 2018 9:17 am  

That's enraging. I've ordered an RX560 because my old GTX670 would not get recognised by the system.
I would primarily use it on BootCamp, but not having the MacOS option as a safety net sucks...

I'm using an Aorus box and I'm now unsure of what to do. Should I cancel my RX560 while I can? I'm tempted to just go for a 1070.

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor
April 3, 2018 1:24 pm  
Posted by: Arthy

That's enraging. I've ordered an RX560 because my old GTX670 would not get recognised by the system.
I would primarily use it on BootCamp, but not having the MacOS option as a safety net sucks...

I'm using an Aorus box and I'm now unsure of what to do. Should I cancel my RX560 while I can? I'm tempted to just go for a 1070.

RX560 is not compatible with the MacOS. 
Apple did want to have eGPU with a level of the performance.

Mantiz: ShopFacebookTwitter

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member
April 3, 2018 3:15 pm  

Thanks for the confirmation @mymantiz_john 
I have switched my order to an EVGA 1060 which was shown to work with the Aorus Box. I know Nvidia GPUs aren't officially supported either, but Windows is my priority OS and in the longrun I'm hopeful the community will build on the work of NVIDIAEGPUSupport.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Prominent Member Admin
April 5, 2018 4:24 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I'm experiencing this same black screen with external monitor too using the Breakaway Puck RX 560. It's beta software and these issues are expected. We will have to wait until the final 10.13.4 release unfortunately.

The missing piece was CFG_USE_AGDC which enabled eGPU screen output for every AMD card, and 0x67EF needed just the IOPCITunnelCompatible key. I don't have time and not sure if these tricks work anymore but anyone who is interested can take a look:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/app-automate-egpu-by-goalque/

Of course, you have to use the latest OSBundleLibraries, my kext is meant for the initial 10.13 only.

automate-eGPU.shapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + Vega64@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/RX580@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
April 5, 2018 4:55 pm  

Thank you for the insight as always, @goalque! When you have time, we'd love to see an update to your automate-eGPU.kext. R9 Fury might be able to work now as well.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

goalque liked
ReplyQuote