Any Game can be accelerated by High Sierra + RX580

Any Game can be accelerated by High Sierra + RX580  

RSS

lvlingsheng
(@lvlingsheng)

I just get the developer kit from Apple, seems like some benchmark works fine, but some games doesn't get accelerated by RX580, like DOTA2, portal, etc, anyone else has this problem?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
vertice
(@vertice)

Same problem here using tMBP 15

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member

Posted by: lvlingsheng

I just get the developer kit from Apple, seems like some benchmark works fine, but some games doesn't get accelerated by RX580, like DOTA2, portal, etc, anyone else has this problem?

Hi!
What is your configuration?

STAFF

ReplyQuote
lvlingsheng
(@lvlingsheng)

Hi, I am using the developer kit, which include RX580, and the system is macOS 10.13 high Sierra, no scripts as I think High Sierra support this kit natively.

Not sure if I need to set up other things.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Apple's WWDC keynote was a good wake-up call for developers. It's their duty to make games and apps Metal 2 compatible. Most macOS apps are not designed with eGPU in mind because they never knew about them.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Are you sure these games are not accelerated? Do you use them on external screen? Everything even OpenGL should work on eGPU if they run on screen plugged into eGPU

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
lvlingsheng
(@lvlingsheng)

I am also confusing, may be some settings are not correct?

My current Macbook is 2016 15 inch with Pro 460, and my external monitor is NEC PA322UHD, the game I run like DOTA2 the FPS is totally the same as I connect the monitor directly to Macbook, no improvement at all. I wonder if there are some bugs around 460

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: ikir

Are you sure these games are not accelerated? Do you use them on external screen? Everything even OpenGL should work on eGPU if they run on screen plugged into eGPU

The same applies to OpenGL. Some apps will not be accelerated by the eGPU even if you launched it from the eGPU monitor. In this case, the programmer has made a decision to favor MBP's dGPU or iGPU.

--

ReplyQuote
lvlingsheng
(@lvlingsheng)

Any way to fix this by script? Like force it always use external card?

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

Have you emailed the developer and asked them for support?

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
lvlingsheng
(@lvlingsheng)

Yes, no reply yet

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: lvlingsheng

Any way to fix this by script? Like force it always use external card?

We don't want to inject the run-time code from outside of the app. By disabling the SIP and overriding a method that makes the decision about the renderer it might be possible, but very bad idea.

Giving feedback to developers is a good idea.

Apple gave us official eGPU support. We developers should look at their guidelines to lift Metal to a new level. Hackintoshers can continue endless patching.

Keep an eye on the Unity and Unreal Engine roadmaps, and of course the SteamVR:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1256915122285021922

Metal wasn't mature enough last year, that's why some games were released with OpenGL for Mac, such as Firewatch. One of the games that switches to dGPU sometimes because the developers didn't know about external GPUs.

--

ReplyQuote
lvlingsheng
(@lvlingsheng)

Interesting Enough, I double check again today, DOTA2 is rendering on RX580, but the fps is very low, not sure what's the reason for this.

ReplyQuote
ztjio
(@ztjio)

I get the idea of wanting to push developers to support proper macOS graphics APIs and such, but, nobody's going back and updating old software. It won't happen in the mass of cases, so, knowing a way to work around it is going to be required eventually.

Anyway, I think there is something going on similar to using any notebook with dGPU. I say that because, I have a properly set up dev kit, brand new 13" TouchBar MBP, etc running High Sierra. I have my external display and it's all working dandy as expected based on the published limits.

But when I look at About This Mac -> Displays, I see something interesting:

Screen Shot 2017 06 18 at 23.48.31

The second monitor is an external connected to the RX580, yet, below it it's clearly specifying it's being handled by the Iris. So I suspect, much like auto GPU selection in a dual GPU MBP, something could potentially trigger the selection of the eGPU to be used for a given process or all processes without modifying them. A tool like gfxCardStatus might be useful for these cases, if it's possible to create it.

ReplyQuote
ztjio
(@ztjio)

Hey you should try this again with High Sierra Beta 3. Prior to b3 I got really awful results trying Portal 2, which TBH, should run smashingly at max resolution/settings on this card.

But now it works pretty well. I hit some random hitches and hiccups, probably some underlying bugs still, but, it seems progress has been made for accelerating existing OpenGL games/apps.

ReplyQuote