Any way at all for running eGPUs in macOS with internal display?
I'm deciding on which macbook I'm about to buy keeping in mind I'll need an eGPU. I'm not sure if I'm going with the 15" mid 2015 without GPU or the 15" late 2016 with GPU. eGPUs can be Bizon, razer core or anything else, I just need it to work.
Would that choice make a difference regarding the use of eGPUs in macOS with the internal display?
- Download and run Spectacle
- Download and run DisableMonitor
- Go to macOS System Preferences -> Dock -> Position on screen -> Left (if you arrange your ghost display to the right of the internal display)
- Plug the ghost display adapter in and set it as the primary display
- Set the resolution to match internal screen in DisableMonitor*
- Launch an app such as Valley benchmark from the Dock (there you see its child window)
- Switch “Next Display” or “Previous Display” with a keyboard shortcut (CONTROL OPTION COMMAND LEFT or RIGHT ARROW).
* Spectacle switches apps between displays in both Windowed and Fullscreen mode. Matching the ghost display’s resolution with the internal display using DisableMonitor is therefore recommended.
remember also OpenCL works with any display and as far i've read Metal too.
Who said that it is impossible to run full screen macOS apps or games on MBP's internal screen, accelerated by the eGPU? Now possible.
Thanks to everyone for putting this together. Got this working today with an HDMI plug from https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADP4KHEAD/ (headlessghost.com USA distributor)
Been playing some Blizzard games on high settings. Works great!